Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm with BSE. I thought that "and" was only one word when you added "que" to the end of the last one. "et" is standalone (as in "et al")

Comment

Well, today's the day, as Mel Fisher would say. The Lobster Cookoff starts in just over an hour, and my dish is finishing up in the oven, after which I'll load it and myself into the Jestermobile and drive the ten miles up the Keys to the event.

My final dish: Lobster Lasagna. In which I used both a red sauce (bolognese) and a white (seafood bechamel) sauce. And three different kinds of cheeses (ricotta, mozzarella, and parmesan reggiano). And in which I butter-poached the lobster. And in which I used oven-roasted pancetta bits. In all, I did about four things I have never done before. And destroyed my kitchen, which I have done all too often.

If I executed my dish the way I wanted to, it is going to be brilliant. If not, it could be a complete disaster.

I just peeked in the oven, and it is looking fantastic. Of course, I wasn't really worried about how it was going to look....it's how it tastes that concerns me.

I don't know why, but even with all the pain in the ass labor that goes into something like this (and trust me, this one especially was a pain in the ass), I love this shit! Woo hoo!

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
      Still A Customer."

Comment

so glad you took my advice jester. Good ..... erm break a leg ^^

This thread is useless without pictures you know this right!!
        It is by snark alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of the coffee bean that thoughts acquire 'tude, the lips acquire mouthiness, the glares become a warning.

Comment

So, how did it taste?
          It sound tasty, perhaps a bit unusual but tasty.

Comment

keep in mind...this gentle....erm I mean Jester has never worked with lobster before.
            It is by snark alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of the coffee bean that thoughts acquire 'tude, the lips acquire mouthiness, the glares become a warning.

Comment

Quoth Sarlon View Post
              so glad you took my advice jester.
              Um, which advice was that?

Quoth Sarlon View Post
              This thread is useless without pictures you know this right!!
              Pictures are forthcoming. Not of the dish, mind you, but of me in my silly lobster hat.
              Quoth Mikkel View Post
              So, how did it taste?
              It sound tasty, perhaps a bit unusual but tasty.
              Unusual, yes. Tasty, hell yeah! Actually, I was probably the biggest critic of it. I was upset that it wasn't as lobstery as I was hoping, and my friend Little Red, a foodie like me, basically gave me a look of "What the fuck is your problem?" and told me that the dish was spectacular.

I'd like to emphasize that last part. This is a good friend and a foodie. Meaning someone who won't lie to me and someone who is hypercritical of food. And she gave me maybe one of the best reviews she's ever given me.

The people in attendance raved over the dish. It was a huge hit. Did I win? No. Did I come in second? No. Those were the only two awards handed out, and they were determined by a three-judge panel. Whatever I think of the dishes that took top honors (and I won't lie--I was bummed that I didn't win), the fact that so many people came up to me raving about the lasagna and how much they loved it absolutely made my night. Short of Megan Fox in a low cut top leaning seductively over and telling me what a great lasagna it was, that was about the best I could have hoped for. (Okay, that and winning, but you get the idea.)

Quoth Sarlon View Post
              keep in mind...this gentle....erm I mean Jester has never worked with lobster before.
              The word you're looking for is "gentleman." And it fits. I am many things. An asshole, a smartass, a dumb shit, an obnoxious arrogant prick, but whatever negative things can be fairly attributed to me, I am still a gentleman. I believe in fair play, romance, and justice. And with very few exceptions, I will extend the hand of courtesy even to my enemies. Thus, a gentleman.

All that aside, yes, this was the first time I have ever worked with lobster in my life. And I am damn proud that my dish was one of the few that did not have its lobster overcooked and rubbery, which is one of the easy pitfalls of cooking lobster that all the better dishes avoided.

The better dishes were in the distinct minority.

I am looking forward to one day redoing this dish, with more lobster and more pancetta, to make it the truly astounding dish I think it could be. Or better yet, with crab, which to me is in every way superior to lobster. THAT would be something special.

This one was for you, M. You would have loved it.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
              Still A Customer."

Comment

Working...
              X