Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So I should NOT use my plastic mixing bowls for this. Got it, check.

But, how do I know what my metal mixing bowls are made of? After all, I got them for a song from a closing bar. I would imagine they're stainless steel, but I know fuck all about metal.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
    Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
      But, how do I know what my metal mixing bowls are made of? After all, I got them for a song from a closing bar. I would imagine they're stainless steel, but I know fuck all about metal.
      Metal mixing bowls are usually stainless steel, and usually highly polished. To be certain, place a tablespoon of vinegar in said bowl, let it sit for 20 minutes, then drain and taste the vinegar. If it has a metallic taste, then it's a reactive metal. If that's too much, look at the bowl. Does it look much different than when you got them that you can't really explain? If so, it's a reactive metal. Another trait of reactive metals is that they oxidize in open air. Iron turns red (rust) copper goes green (noble rust) and other metals tend to get a white or grey appearance on them, but it will be a different shade than you are expecting.

Aluminum and coated aluminum look substantially different so it's easy to tell. Non-coated aluminum has a silver like appearance, while Coated aluminum has a darker, bland-grey look, and are usually used in cooking vessels.
      I AM the evil bastard!
      A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Quoth lordlundar View Post
        Does it look much different than when you got them that you can't really explain?
        Well, I got them a week ago, used, from a bar that closed its doors. So don't think that one really applies, but I am guessing that since they were used in a restaurant setting that they are probably stainless steel. If they are, does that mean I can or cannot use them to make sushi rice? I have so much shit in my kitchen that I really don't want to have to get a wooden bowl if I don't have to.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
        Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
          Well, I got them a week ago, used, from a bar that closed its doors. So don't think that one really applies, but I am guessing that since they were used in a restaurant setting that they are probably stainless steel. If they are, does that mean I can or cannot use them to make sushi rice? I have so much shit in my kitchen that I really don't want to have to get a wooden bowl if I don't have to.
          Well, in terms of flavour, stainless steel will work, as it's non-reactive. Reactive ones are the ones you want to avoid, because the acid in the vinegar will react and will produce the "tinny" taste. The catch is is that you have to be careful about the heat, because the rice will cool off a lot faster and it might be too fast for the vinegar solution to dry and stick properly.

Wood is best, because it has the best heat and moisture control needed, but Glass or glossed ceramic will work as well, just need to be more careful to make sure the rice doesn't cool off before it loses excess moisture.
          I AM the evil bastard!
          A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Working...
          X