This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hacked email accounts

We've all dealt with these. An email arrives from a friend, but there's no text in it; just a link to click. As with one of the other members of this site, I received an email from a friend claiming that he was in Scotland, with no money, and please send some cash to [somewhere]. I emailed him that his account had been hacked. Now, he's having problems even accessing his account, and he's had to create a new one.

I think that the hackers are gaining access through Facebook. It's one thing all these people have in common. If so, how can it be stopped?

As far as I can tell, the e-mail accounts are compromised by keylogging malware or rogue antivirus software that infect users via malicious Facebook applications or advertisements. That or there's a flaw in Facebook's security such that passwords can be revealed, and people are using the same password for everything.

Comment

The other night, I was reading a book at my dining room table, hubs was sitting next to me on the laptop, and he starts to laugh.

He told me he got an e-mail from my hotmail account letting him know that I was in Europe (he didn't specify which country I was in) and had been robbed and needed money wired to me. This was happening at this very moment as I was sitting next to my hubby. Needless to say, he didn't do anything about sending money.

However, I don't use my hotmail account for my facebook account so I have no clue how it was found out.

Comment

Well, so much for THAT theory.

Comment

Quoth Eireann View Post

I think that the hackers are gaining access through Facebook. It's one thing all these people have in common. If so, how can it be stopped?

I heard or I should say read that changing your password on social networking sites like facebook or prior myspace (which has had a lot of hacked accounts) helps. A good password is key
          "This job would be great if it wasn't for the f***** customers." - Randell 'Clerks'

Comment

RAWR

I had another of my e-mail accounts hacked too.

It was a Yahoo! account that I use semi-regularly

Got it back under my control though and did change my password ... but still ... 2 accounts in roughly a week? *le sigh*

And I changed the password for the e-mail I use for my FB account ... just in case.

Comment

Quoth idrinkarum View Post
              The other night, I was reading a book at my dining room table, hubs was sitting next to me on the laptop, and he starts to laugh.

He told me he got an e-mail from my hotmail account letting him know that I was in Europe (he didn't specify which country I was in) and had been robbed and needed money wired to me. This was happening at this very moment as I was sitting next to my hubby. Needless to say, he didn't do anything about sending money.
              He didn't help you out? What a jerk!
              I don't go in for ancient wisdom
              I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
              It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

OoO! I didn't think about it like that ... Now I'm mad at him that he didn't send me money or nothings. I mean, all he had to do is open his wallet and slip me at least a $5 across the table.

Comment

Working...
                X