Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My wife thinks I'm becoming a hoarder..

Yep - she made that accusation (this is coming from the person who has brought 5 dogs, 3 cats, and 3 chickens into hour home (this is the "currently alive" list))?

I do buy things in bulk - I won't deny that, especially when there is a good sale. Some body wash I like was buy one get one free to I bought 10 bottles.

Some good paper towels were on sale (1/3 off) so I ended up buying 5 or 6 8-packs and 6 4-double roll packs (don't forget we have a litter of puppies).

We needed litter pellets for our Breeze litter box so I got a 6 pack on Amazon.com (about 25% off retail).

A few months ago canned chicken was on sale - buy one get one free so I bought 20 cans of it.

You can see where this is going. But I do not think I am becoming a hoarder. Why?

These are all items that we need and will use (I'm not buying pointless items), all were on sale (at a good price) and I do not intend to buy anymore of it until we are low on it (except paper towels if we start to go though them quickly, we can go though as much as 2 rolls a day with puppies).

I also got items that we will use quickly. It's not like I buy several boxes of cake mix at one time - that will sit for a while (but we always have on hand - you'll never know when you will get a cake batter craving!). 2-3 boxes at most (different flavors).

Also, I make sure we have the room to store this stuff. The paper towels are nicely stacked in the "pet room" (mainly a room for the cats and pet supplies and general storage), same with the litter. The canned chicken (what's left of it) is in a drawer with other canned goods. The body wash is on a shelf with other bathroom / hygiene related items.

Personally, I think there is a difference between being stocked and being a hoarder.

Anyone else or will I be on a TV show soon?
    Quote Dalesys:
    ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Id say no. You are using the things you buy and arent just buying to fulfill some innate need.

However, if my hubby came through the door with 20 cans of chicken and 6 eight packs of paper towels, id certainly give him an odd look.

I do think the amounts that youre buying sounds ...just a little overwhelming to say the least. Maybe your wife is just overwhelmed by the volume of the purchase. You dont, sorry to say this though, deserve a show. Sorry. Lol.

Comment

Quoth draggar View Post
      I do buy things in bulk - I won't deny that, especially when there is a good sale. Some body wash I like was buy one get one free to I bought 10 bottles.
      My husband does the same, so no show for you, sorry. His female family members are much, much worse. If the word sale is involved, even if it's only 10 cents off, they absolutely MUST buy the product and buy lots of it.
      Don't tempt pixies, it never ends well.

Avatar created by the lovely Eisa.

Comment

Canned chicken???????
        Thou shalt not take the name of thy goddess Whiskey in vain.

Comment

Now I want some cake batter.
          I don't go in for ancient wisdom
          I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
          It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Quoth Whiskey View Post
            Canned chicken???????
            Yeah, I know, I had the same reaction when I first saw it but it is extremely good (and packaged like canned tuna). No, it's not the best quality but it's great for chicken salad sandwiches.
            Quote Dalesys:
            ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

My mom uses canned chicken sometimes for macaroni salad. I prefer tuna in that, though.
              I don't go in for ancient wisdom
              I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
              It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Quoth draggar View Post
                Anyone else or will I be on a TV show soon?
                Nah...

I get plenty of grief from my parents about all the "stuff" I have, and how "cluttered" my house is. There's actually very little clutter. Sure, there's the odd pile of books here and there, the model-building table in the living room...but that's pretty much it. My office is another story. That place *is* cluttered. Namely, because I either forget to put things away, or the kitties get into things. As such, I'm not worried about that room. Nor am I worried about the endless piles of books and magazines I seem to accumulate. What can I say, other than I build models, and the books and things are my research materials. I don't know about the rest of you, but I'd rather get paint or glue on a $8 issue of Classic & Sportscar, than a $50 Porsche book

My basement is another story. Again, it's a mess. Mainly because I have too many things going on right now. There are MG interior and trim parts in a few places, at least two of the Radio-Flyer 'shop goats' being worked on, etc.

Oh, and let's not forget the computer parts. Again, there's a reason for that as well. I fix computers, and when we 'retire' things at work...I get them for parts. I use what I can, fix some of them and donate to charities...and then scrap the rest. Since those things are usually ancient, it's only natural I have some older parts lying around.
                Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

No. Looks like my Sam's Club shopping list (that I do about.....twice a week?).

.....crud, that reminds me, I have to Sam's soon. I JUST GOT BACK FROM SAM'S! *Hides under the hammock*
                  Now a member of that alien race called Management.

Yeah, you see that right. Pink. Harness.

Comment

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
                    Now I want some cake batter.
                    haha we're so alike
                    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Are you sure she didn't say you were becoming a whore, dear?
                      "All I've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who out-drew ya"

Comment

Quoth draggar View Post
                        Yeah, I know, I had the same reaction when I first saw it but it is extremely good (and packaged like canned tuna). No, it's not the best quality but it's great for chicken salad sandwiches.
                        its also good for making enchaladas and stuffed things.

Comment

Quoth Sheldonrs View Post
                          Are you sure she didn't say you were becoming a whore, dear?
                          Thank you, Sheldon, I think this is the.....third?...time since I signed up for this site that you actually made me choke on my drink.

Have a cookie.

*Gives Sheldon a cookie*
                          Now a member of that alien race called Management.

Yeah, you see that right. Pink. Harness.

Comment

You aren't a hoarder as long as you are okay with things being used up and/or thrown away. Actually you kind of sound like my dad, whenever something that we used frequently went on sale he would stock up big time, it drove my mom nuts but at least we always had a really well stocked pantry and never ran out of tp .

My boy is a borderline hoarder, if I wasn't here to control the situation I have no doubt that he could make it on that show. The first warning sign that I noticed was he not only kept old cards but also the envelopes and he was upset at my suggestion that at the very least the envelopes needed to go. Thankfully we were both still in school and CNU has a free mental health center for students so he got a little help and learned to let go of some stuff, he still makes excuses to keep stuff that he "may need some day" but I can usually talk him out of it, especially if it would be cheap to replace or expensive enough to be worth selling.

Comment

Quoth RetailWorkhorse View Post
                              Thank you, Sheldon, I think this is the.....third?...time since I signed up for this site that you actually made me choke on my drink.

Have a cookie.

*Gives Sheldon a cookie*
                              Nom, nom, nom... GULP! :-)
                              "All I've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who out-drew ya"

Comment

Working...
                              X