This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RHPG- Spider hunter extraordinaire?

So I woke up this morning around 5am to get a drink of water. When I came back into my room, I happened to look at the wall and thank god I did! There, one the wall, stalking its way towards my bed, was the most gigontous (yes it was that big it deserves a new word) brown recluse in the known or unknown multiverse. After the first dead on whack with my size 9 1/2 flat, it dropped off the wall but was not dead yet. After the second hit, it was still somewhat crawling. After the third hit, it was sort of twitching, but that could have been final breaths.

After doing a little research, I learned that brown recluses can live up to 10 years, and up to six months without food or water (ref: www.brownreclusespider.org)

No bug should be able to live that long. This thing had to have been five years old from the size! As a reference point, I will post a picture of another giant brown recluse that was found in the house about a month ago. The one I killed today was bigger than the one in the picture.

Click image for larger version

Name:	THEGIANTSPIDER.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	20.1 KB
ID:	2033201

Try google image searching for clock spider
    I am the nocturnal echo-locating flying mammal man.

Comment

It looks similar, but these were definitely brown recluses. The one I got this morning, I could see the violin shape from across the room *shudders*

Comment

Clock Spider is a Huntsman. Though youre braver than I, I'd have just thrown something at it and legged it

Ironic that my avatar is of a Slayer
        I am the nocturnal echo-locating flying mammal man.

Comment

I'd have set the room on fire. Shit. I bloody hate spiders.

Comment

Yeah, I would have been checking into a hotel and calling exterminators. I hate spiders....haaaaaatttteeeeee spiders. I'm so ready for Fiance to move in so I can put him on spider control. (Added benefit of he will take most of them outside, instead of flushing them to the great beyond.)
            "Even arms dealers need groceries." ~ Ziva David, NCIS

Tony: "Everyone's counting on you, just do what you do best."
            Abby: "Dance?" ~ NCIS

Comment

I'd move.

We used to get huge spiders (like an inch long, not including legs) at my apartment my senior year of college (this was in PA). Luckily they stayed at the bottom of the stairs (upstairs apartment, but the stairwell was inside the unit). We took to keeping a broom down there and would stand on the bottom step and sweep them out the door.
              I don't go in for ancient wisdom
              I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
              It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

LOL We can't just move. My roommates just bought the house in May.

ETA: I wish I'd had a broom! All I had was my shoe and I had to get up close and personal with this bad boy

Comment

Brooms are cheap. Perhaps you should invest.

Or maybe a swiffer sweeper-type thing. It has a flat surface for squishing.
                  I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                  I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                  It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

The big Nerf blaster oughta do it!

But I'd be having to buy new bullet/arrow/dart thingies cause I'd be throwing them out if they had spider guts on it.
                    Make a list of important things to do today.
                    At the top of your list, put 'eat chocolate'
                    Now, you'll get at least one thing done today

Comment

AAAAAAH!!!! I'd freak out too! I used to make sure every spider got killed, but later on I felt bad about that, so I tried to catch them with something and put them outside. But if a poisonous spider finds its way inside my house, all bets are off!

And yeah, definitely don't want to mess around with brown recluses!

This is making my skin crawl!
                      Steven Slater ROCKS! So does James Jones!

The world is an asshole contest...and EVERYONE'S A WINNER!

Comment

Aaaaand that is why I grind bugs into goopy bits. To make sure they're dead. Urg.
                        "Is it the lie that keeps you sane? Is this the lie that keeps you sane?What is it?Can it be?Ought it to exist?"
                        "...and may it be that I cleave to the ugly truth, rather than the beautiful lie..."

Comment

Hope this is allowed, but I was reminded of one of my favorite webcomics where a spider came into play: http://threepanelsoul.com./view.php?date=2007-08-21
                          Something kind of sad about the way that things have come to be.
                          Desensitized to everything, what became of subtlety?

Comment

Working...
                          X