This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• American Dietary Terms

Ok, I'm trying some medical advice from a book. I know, I know, but this specific book, including the dietary plan, was recommended to me by a nurse. The problem is that it's an American book, and I need definitions. What is meant by "whole grain" and "whole wheat" in the States? I ask because in Canada, "whole wheat" isn't necessary "whole grain" (containing the entire grain). It can be called "whole wheat" as long as it has the bran. This has the potential to make a huge budget difference, as I buy plain bread, and whole grain is more expensive.

Some info on whole grains.

But what about when you're buying processed products, such as a loaf of bread? You probably know to avoid products made of "refined" wheat. But did you know that some manufacturers strip the outer layer of bran off the whole kernel of wheat, use the refined wheat flour, add in molasses to color it brown, and call it "100% wheat" bread? That's true -- but it is not a whole grain.
    That's why it's important to check the ingredient list for the word "whole" preceding the grain (such as "whole wheat flour"). Ideally, the whole grain will be the first ingredient in the list, indicating that the product contains more whole grain than any other ingredient.
    If the ingredients list whole wheat, it's the whole grain. If it's not, they will just say "wheat flour" and figure most people don't know the difference.
    I don't go in for ancient wisdom
    I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
    It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

In Australia, whole wheat bread has the full kernel including bran, but has been ground into a flour.
      Whole grain bread is either white flour or brown (whole wheat) flour, AND has softened whole grains (unground) in it.

So whole grain bread is kind of nutty in texture, and has visible grains scattered through it. Having the grains not ground into a flour makes them digest more slowly, which is useful for people with insulin disorders.
      Seshat's self-help guide:
      1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
      2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
      3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
      4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Thank you! (Just because I don't like the news doesn't meant that I don't appreciate it being given). And Seshat - I like the point about having actual kernels of grain.

I may just make more of my own bread, even though it's summer. (I apologize in advance to the people upstairs from me). My flour is whole grain (i.e. it contains the germ), and I can throw in whatever grains I feel like. I don't have cracked wheat, but I figure that can be created from wheat berries fairly easily.

ETA: It just occurs to me: if "wheat" is used to designate flour that contains some bran, how do they specify white flour made from wheat?

Comment

Quoth Magpie View Post

ETA: It just occurs to me: if "wheat" is used to designate flour that contains some bran, how do they specify white flour made from wheat?
          Its just white flour.
          Thou shalt not take the name of thy goddess Whiskey in vain.

Comment

For cracked wheat, look for rolled wheat either in the hot cereals section where you shop or in whatever 'whole foods' type store is in your area. Rolled oats is also a good option for including whole grains in whatever baking you're doing.
            You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

Quoth Magpie View Post
              White bread usually lists "enriched wheat flour" or something similar. It means all the good stuff has been stripped out to make white flour, then they add back some vitamins to make it "healthy" (). If they are making "wheat" bread out of it, they'll throw in some caramel color to make it brown (the fiber content is still low, though). I have seen whole wheat white bread - it's made with whole winter white wheat (and is actually more of a cream color than regular white bread).

Comment

Hopefully your book doesn't get any more specific, like with types of wheat-- as mentioned, there's winter white... and about eight others commercially grown and used in consumer products! ... And that's not counting the multitude of non-wheat grains, *grumble *. If you're making your own bread, make sure you know what's in the flour you buy and what's been done to it; and don't be shy about calling around or looking stuff up online... or asking on message boards. I'm still trying to hash stuff out myself with bread baking.
                "Is it the lie that keeps you sane? Is this the lie that keeps you sane?What is it?Can it be?Ought it to exist?"
                "...and may it be that I cleave to the ugly truth, rather than the beautiful lie..."

Comment

Hey, white whole wheat is cool. I just stick with my stone ground. The local baking supply store has whatever I want. I found a cool recipe that I'll try. Recipes for bread always seem so odd to me, although I have used them before. Isn't bread made by throwing flour and grain into the water until the dough is the right consistency?

Comment

The unleavened type maybe? I know that there's such bread that you put in flour, water, baking soda, baking powder, sugar and vinegar. It's very flour-tasting, but I'm probably doing it wrong and my mother says it needs more salt. Which makes sense, salt makes things taste (at all sometimes). The soda, powder and vinegar is the leavening agents (makes it rise).
                    I didn't have any yeast or milk in the apartment. Yay internet.
                    "Is it the lie that keeps you sane? Is this the lie that keeps you sane?What is it?Can it be?Ought it to exist?"
                    "...and may it be that I cleave to the ugly truth, rather than the beautiful lie..."

Comment

Even when I make yeast bread I normally just do it by throwing stuff together until the dough is correct.

Does anyone know if my buckwheat and rye flours are likely to be whole grain (or at least contain the bran)? They don't specify...

Comment

Quoth Magpie View Post
                        Does anyone know if my buckwheat and rye flours are likely to be whole grain (or at least contain the bran)? They don't specify...
                        I think so - a quickie google didn't really answer the question directly, other than to tell me that buckwheat is not technically a grain (who knew?), but I found this site (and a few others...my search terms were "is buckwheat flour whole grain?") with some general info on whole grains.

Also found this site which had this to say about rye:
                        Because it is difficult to separate the germ and bran from the endosperm of rye, rye flour usually retains a large quantity of nutrients, in contrast to refined wheat flour.

Comment

The irony! That was one link further down than I bothered clicking through. (I generally don't bother with the "extra" words, and just did buckwheat flour whole grain, or some variant of that).

Comment

Working...
                          X