This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• White egg yolk?

I made hard boiled eggs tonight, and when I went to mash them up for salad, one of the yolks was almost white!

I googled and learned that the color of the yolk depends on what the chicken eats...it was the only one in the batch that was like that (I made 3).

Weird. I hope it's OK cuz it's in my lunch for tomorrow...

edit: apparently I'm not the only one... http://johnsadventures.com/archives/...s_were_yellow/
    Last edited by BookstoreEscapee; 08-02-2010, 03:28 AM.
    I don't go in for ancient wisdom
    I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
    It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
    I made hard boiled eggs tonight, and when I went to mash them up for salad, one of the yolks was almost white!

I googled and learned that the color of the yolk depends on what the chicken eats...it was the only one in the batch that was like that (I made 3).

Weird. I hope it's OK cuz it's in my lunch for tomorrow...
    It is just fine - there are natural additives that frequently get added to grain to color the yolk [dried marigold petals, among other things] that may have not been fully mixed into the feed [they buy the grain, the colorant and a calcium source to keep the hen healthy and make strong shells] that get turfed into hoppers and mixed together. The colorant hopper may have gotten empty and not refilled promptly.

[we occasionally buy old hens from an egg farm near here, they are slowing down production and we get them for a buck each if we catch them when they are selling them off. I got to tour an egg farm once =) yes we buy them to eat eventually ... ]
    EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Working...
    X