Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My dog gets impatient (funny dog story)

The other day, my five year old niece, Evie, wanted to see our dog do tricks. Our dog, Shadow, is about 11 years old although he still has the energy of a puppy. He's a very nice dog though, and very gentle with the kids. By the way, Shadow is a rather big dog, part labrador and part border collie. I'll post some pictures later.

I explained to Evie he only knew a few tricks, and I gave her a treat to give to him and told her to say "sit". She didn't at first, so I said "sit" to him, but he didn't. (the one who holds the treat gets the trick, I guess!) Evie said "sit" then and he sat, and she gave him the treat. I gave her another treat and showed her how to do another trick, by taking a treat and saying "give me your paw". He'll then sit and put his paw in your hand.

Evie tried it, but she was standing too far away and didn't have her hand out. Shadow sat at first but when he couldn't put his paw in her hand he got up and walked over to her. Evie didn't know why he was walking toward her and backed up. I started to explain to her that you have to have your hand out so he can put his paw in it. While I was explaining this to her Shadow walked up to Evie, kind of batted his paw against her stomach and grabbed the treat out of her hand. I swear, it was so cute! I think it's one of those things you have to see, like he got tired of waiting for her to figure it out and just did it himself.

I just wanted to share this because my niece and I both laughed so hard at it. Seriously, my dog is almost human. My brother swears he tries to say real words sometimes.
    It is a terrible thing to see and have no vision.
    -Helen Keller

I got this av from Court Records, made by Croik!

Dogs and little kids

When I was a kid my parents had a friend who had a black Scottie dog who could say his name. His name was Ralph.
    I don't go in for ancient wisdom
    I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
    It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

That's cute. There are so many cute tricks you can teach dogs.

Zorro knows "mute" (bark w/o making any noise), bow (as in stage bow), hop, crawl, and a few others.
      Quote Dalesys:
      ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

Hopper knows sit, down (and the hand commands for them!!!) over (and the click noise I make for it) (which means jump over something - there's a row of fences that are about 40 cm high, and we hurdle him over them when we walk him), speak, off, paw, and he knows he can't eat his treat or his food until we say paid for. He's not so good at the stay command though....*grumble* I know I'm doing something wrong, I just don't know what!
        The report button - not just for decoration

Comment

A lot of dogs have trouble with the stay command. I know my hounds do. They'll stay as long as I make them for their dinner, but if there's no food involved, they won't bother.
          I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

Shadow is pretty good at stay, but if he really wants to go somewhere he'll ignore it.
            That is his only other trick. I used to try to teach him to roll, but to no avail. Shadow is a great jumper though although he only does it himself.

Coincidental other story- last night my mom came home late and when she came in Shadow was right by the door with his face in a wastebasket by the recliner. My mom said "What are you doing?" and Shadow jumped right in the air, over the wastebasket and the corner of the recliner, and went around it and to the door where he smiled and wagged his tail like nothing had happened. Shadow is a character.

Edit: Here is a picture of Shadow in our living room. Er, sorry about the mess. We have kids...;-) Now let's see if this works. Wow, it does work, although I wasn't expecting such a large image! Sorry about that!

Last edited by iradney; 08-06-2010, 03:40 PM. Reason: resized picture
            -Helen Keller

Comment

Puppy!!!!!

Pablo didn't do any tricks, really. He would climb out on my arm to get goldfish crackers, though. And he liked to hop up onto the back of the couch (from the arm), walk out to the middle and jump down onto the cushion. I don't know if that's really a trick, but for such a little guy I was impressed he could get up there (he could also get up onto the couch from the floor if he really wanted to, at least until we put the legs back on it...I know this because one day I went into the bedroom and he was on the floor, and when I came back out he was curled up on the couch and I know I didn't put him there! But if we were in the room he would give you the eyes until you picked him up.)

My mini Schnauzer knew shake hands and she would catch bits of cheese tossed to her.
              I don't go in for ancient wisdom
              I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
              It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Shadow loves cheese! And hot dogs. He can beg although we didn't teach him. He just knows what works.
                -Helen Keller

Comment

Quoth mariamousie1 View Post

Edit: Here is a picture of Shadow in our living room. Er, sorry about the mess. We have kids...;-) Now let's see if this works. Wow, it does work, although I wasn't expecting such a large image! Sorry about that!
                  Hope you don't mind, I resized it for ya
                  The report button - not just for decoration

Comment

Quoth draggar View Post
                    That's cute. There are so many cute tricks you can teach dogs. Zorro knows "mute" (bark w/o making any noise), bow (as in stage bow), hop, crawl, and a few others.
                    Mute?? I love that idea! Hey, does that work on kids?
                    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Quoth iradney View Post
                      Hope you don't mind, I resized it for ya
                      Thank you! I'm no good at those fiddly things like resizing.
                      -Helen Keller

Comment

Working...
                      X