This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Wording Advice

So I finally got around to getting a list of cello instructors in my area. Tomorrow I'm planning on calling around to get price quotes and such. However, I'm one of those people who a) hates asking about prices on stuff like this and b) sometimes needs a script before talking on the phone. But I need to know if I can afford lessons or if need be talk to my parents. Mama Jedi's offered to pay for piano lessons (again), but I think I can talk her into cello lessons instead. So, here's what I've come up with:

"Hello, my name is <Jedi> and I got your contact information from <music store>. I was calling to see if you were accepting new students at this time and if so how much you charge for lessons."

And then maybe a bit about my musical background if they ask (piano for 5ish years, cello 3 years, dance a bazillion years). I still read bass cleff, although not as quickly as I used to because I haven't played in so long. And my coordination is shot all to pieces. I also still have my cello. She's a beat up old girl, but still sounds incredible.

So, thoughts? I just have this thing that I find it rude to ask for a price right off the bat like that, but at the same time, I need to know.
    I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Well if they're cello instructors, they expect to be called about pricing and setting things up. Its not as if you saw someone play the cello and hit them up for prices and asked for instruction. Hows this for a script

Hello, my name is jedi, you were highly recommended by <store> as a cello instructor, are you accepting students at the moment?

\_ response is no: Alright, would you happen to know anyone of your quality I could learn under? OR Alright, thank you for your time. End

\_ response is yes: Great! If you don't mind, what do you charge for your services?

\_ response is "$$$too much": Unfortuantely, that's out of my budget at the moment. Thank you for your time though.

\_response is $good: Wonderful, I've been playing piano and cello for years! Is there a time we can set up to meet in person and discuss the details?

You have to let the (wo)man interject accordingly :P
    Thou shalt not take the name of thy goddess Whiskey in vain.

Comment

You're opener is perfect, and Whiskey has good ideas for the rest of the conversation. Any decent teacher is going to expect to be asked their rates before anyone agrees to sign up for lessons, so don't feel like you're being rude.
      I don't go in for ancient wisdom
      I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
      It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

What Whiskey said is great. I do sympathize with the needing-a-script thing. When I was younger I was more easily intimidated. It gets easier.
        "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Working...
        X