X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My sister fell for a Nigerian scam

Yeah.

My older sister (who shall be referred to as OS and doesn't have the common sense God gave a baked potato) met this guy online. He asks her if she wants to move to Arizona and live with him and she says yes. So for the past month or two she's been getting ready to move--selling her car, giving notice at her job, getting rid of her winter clothes, etc. All the while everyone else has a feeling that something's not quite right, especially when our younger sister (YS) looks up the address Mr. Arizona gave as his home address and discovers it's a bar. Then Mr. Arizona was supposed to fly out and meet the folks...and never shows up because he was in a car accident in Nigeria. Wait, doesn't he live in Arizona? Whatever. He asks OS to send him some money to help pay the doctor. AND SHE DOES!! She sent him $100!!!!! Our mother found the money order and hit the roof. So now OS is out of the money, her car, her winter clothes, and possibly her job.

The kicker? This isn't the first time she's fallen for something like this. At least the last time the guy was just stringing her along for the hell of it.

Yes, my sister is an idiot.
    I question my sanity every day. Sometimes it answers.

It happens. My 20 year old daughter gave her CC info to some dude who called her and said she won a shopping spree. I think the only one shopping will be the one she gave the number to. Sigh.
    "You mean you don’t have the one piece of information you actually need? Well, stick your grubby paws in the crayon box, yank one out and colour me Fucking Shocked Fuchsia." - Gravekeeper

Comment

Megg..CANCEL THE CARD!!!

And Severen, wow. It almost sounds like shes lonely. Maybe she needs her computer priveledges taken away... Lol. At least it wasnt more $$, but I hope she can keep her job and all that. SO sad.

Comment

Yup: The Romance Scam....

http://www.romancescams.org/

Comment

How old is your sister?
          I don't go in for ancient wisdom
          I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
          It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Im sorry to poke fun but I had to add this....

Comment

Quoth Megg View Post
              It happens. My 20 year old daughter gave her CC info to some dude who called her and said she won a shopping spree. I think the only one shopping will be the one she gave the number to. Sigh.
              Wish I thought of that. Would dominate colleges everywhere.
              "I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone, that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - House

Comment

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
                How old is your sister?
                My sister is 42. Like I said, she's an idiot.
                I question my sanity every day. Sometimes it answers.

Comment

Good news guys, some girl in the Ivory Coast has 8,000,000 that she wants to put into my bank account. She needs to do this so her father's old business competitors don't come after her. She also wants me to make her my adoptive daughter!
                  "I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone, that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - House

Comment

She needs professional help. But she got off easy compared to some.
                    We received a call at the office from someone who thought we called them.
                    She was told she had won a Bake-A-Fish lottery and all she had to do to claim the prize was put up a small percentage in good faith. Her small percentage, which she paid was $400,000.00!
                    "All I've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who out-drew ya"

Comment

Well they wouldn't keep sending out those emails if, unfortunately, some small percentage of them didn't WORK....

*sigh*
                      - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

Reminds me of this lady in Oregon.

http://www.katu.com/news/34292654.html

I especally love the part where she was told repeatedly by family, police, banks that she was being scammed and she needs to stop, but hey, they promised her that the next payment she makes will get her her money.

(She even got letters from Bush! Stating that if she didn't send Nigerian money, the Terrorists will win!)
                        Military Spouse Support.
                        http://www.customerssuck.com/board/group.php?groupid=45
                        Plaidman's Minions: Telecom_Goddess: Dungeon Minion

Comment

Quoth Severen13 View Post
                          My sister is 42. Like I said, she's an idiot.
                          I feel bad for your poor sister losing her $100 and stuff and job so I'm going to pass on an opportunity to you instead of claiming it for myself. I have the e-mail right here... Orange Julius, a very rich Barrister from the land of farfaraway has been taken prisoner and needs to get his money out of the country. If she will help him he is willing to give her 47gabzillion dollars for free! Just get my her e-mail address and I will get the message to her. Please don't share this with anyone else as he says our discretion is very important.

Comment

What's really sad is that the Nigerians have even made a music video that pokes fun at people like the sister in this thread called "I Go Chop Your Dollar".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1nKR3gYRY8

Comment

Working...
                            X