This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think we somehow offended the squirt bottle gods

So, my husband and I usually keep a squirt bottle filled with water handy, to squirt the cats with when they're naughty. The older two are pretty well behaved most of the time, but the kitten still gets into mischief, ALL the time. We're trying to teach him not to go on the kitchen counters/table, not to jump on the bookshelves, not to climb the entertainment center, not to wreck the blinds, not to eat the plants, etc. It's a slow process but we can tell it's been working.

Well, a couple weeks ago, one of the older cats knocked the squirt bottle off of the desk it was sitting on, and it broke. Part of the nozzle snapped and there was no way to get it back together. We think she did it on purpose because of all the cats, she gets the most offended when we squirt her!

So, we got a new squirt bottle a few days later. Then, earlier this week, my husband and I were hauling groceries in from the car when he bumped into his desk and knocked the new squirt bottle onto the floor and it broke too! In pretty much the same way the first one did, plus it got a big crack in the bottle itself.

So we got ANOTHER new squirt bottle last night...and...it has a hole in it. It's a very small hole so no one would have noticed unless they were actively looking for it. I went into the kitchen to fill it with water, and was talking to my husband about something else.

"So I got this email from...from...honey, come in here and see this, now."

He ran into the kitchen and I held up the bottle as it dripped water into the sink from the hole. I was laughing pretty hard about it. I think he wanted to break the squirt bottle even worse than it's already damaged.

So, we're going to try round 4 this weekend. I'm not entirely sure what to do to appease the squirt bottle gods so that we can keep one for longer than a couple weeks. Any suggestions?

Sounds like the cat's divine influence is working better than yours.
    I AM the evil bastard!
    A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

LOL What did you guys do?? Seriously, the most durable bottles I have are the pretty-colored ones you find every year in garden sections at Walmart or Target. They usually have an odd shape. I drop stuff all the time and these haven't broken.
      "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

I have no idea! We got ours at the local grocery store, they're your generic plastic type, not overly flimsy...but apparently someone is out to make sure our cats don't get wet!

Comment

Just get a thing of Windex, drain it, clean it out & fill it with water. It won't break even if it drops cause it's made of plastic.

Comment

Squirting your cats with water works? My cats just glare at me.
            "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
            -Mira Furlan

Comment

Usually it works. It certainly works for the two older cats; the girl gets offended and the boy cowers, but in both cases, then stop whatever they had been doing that was naughty. The kitten is much more resilient. He doesn't like the water, but it doesn't stop him from going back and doing naughty things anyway!

Comment

Quoth Ghel View Post
                Squirting your cats with water works? My cats just glare at me.
                It worked on my cats for a while. At first we had to squirt them, then just shaking it made them stop. Then boy started challenging the bottle and we had to stop that...
                I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Working...
                X