This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jigsaw Puzzles?

I got my husband a jigsaw puzzle for his birthday (the flat kind that forms a picture when you put it together, not the more 3d kind that makes a shape...not sure if they're called something different or not.) It's a lot of fun. We're about a fourth done with it now and I can foresee us getting into this as a cool hobby to do together sometimes. So, now I'd like to look around for some more puzzles that we'd like. We want to glue and frame and hang the one we're working on now, so any other ones we get, we'd probably do the same, so I'd like to find some of pictures that we like.

The one I got him is of a scene from My Neighbor Totoro. I just sort of happened upon it and the place I got it from doesn't have very many puzzles (I actually ordered the one other one that looked good, which is from Rurouni Kenshin, but apparently it's backordered, boo) so now I'm searching for some other place(s) that sell good jigsaw puzzles. I'd really like to find some of scenes or characters from anime or video games, but my google fu is failing. When I put in "video game jigsaw puzzle" or the like, I usually get online puzzles or puzzle games, neither of which we're interested in (we want an actual, honest to god physical puzzle that we can lay out on our table, dangit!) Of course, we'd settle for stuff like fantasy/sci-fi/cat pictures as well. And we want fairly difficult ones (the one we're working on is 520 pieces, which seems pretty challenging without being impossible), not little ones designed for kids.

So, does anyone here do puzzles, and could recommend a good place to look for them?

Target is a good place to look, although I've never seen any anime scenes there. I would also check out toy stores and any other random place you might be shopping. You never know when something will turn up.
    I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

Might also try Hobby Lobby or other craft stores.
      "Even arms dealers need groceries." ~ Ziva David, NCIS

Tony: "Everyone's counting on you, just do what you do best."
      Abby: "Dance?" ~ NCIS

Comment

the other option (if you really wanted to) is to make your own jigsaw puzzle.
        that way you can use the images you like, or a favourite poster. they can be mounted on stiff cardboard, or thin plywood, and then cut with a..heh...jigsaw.

It would be an awesome gift, especially if you use a favourite photo or poster. And if you like anime scenes, you're far more likely to be able to get what you want that way.

If you use a cardboard backing, you can cut it out yourself after spraymounting the poster. If you use thin plywood, i'm sure there's a woodshop in a highschool that could cut it for you.

Comment

I have found some really cute puzzles at Tuesday Morning for dirt cheap. I bought this puzzle http://www.amazon.com/Extra-Large-Sh...2582334&sr=1-3 there for $2.99.

Comment

The various big-box stores usually have a selection of main stream puzzles, probably up to around 750-1000 pieces. Frequently (at least in my neck of the woods) the shopping malls will have a store dedicated to nothing but puzzles, especially around Christmas time. Their stock can go as high as 10,000 piece puzzles.
            "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

Bits and Pieces

They have all kinds of puzzles. If you can't find one he likes, he's the one with the problem.
              I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
              -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Quoth taxguykarl View Post
                FIL is a puzzle junkie. We get his Jigsaw fixes from Bits & Pieces. They have all type, all levels. They also have the kits for mounting & framing and "roll ups" for storing. Everything a puzzle junkie needs.
                Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
                Save the Ales!
                Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Oddly enough, the best place I've found for puzzles is my local Hallmark shop. They are more expensive than Target or Walmart, but they are good quality puzzles, and usually have cool pictures (though I'm not sure about anime type stuff).
                  TANSTAAFL

Comment

Are 3D puzzles still around?
                    Thou shalt not take the name of thy goddess Whiskey in vain.

Comment

Quoth Whiskey View Post
                      Are 3D puzzles still around?
                      Yup.

http://www.bitsandpieces.com/category.asp_Q_c_E_29_A_3D
                      Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
                      Save the Ales!
                      Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Working...
                      X