This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't believe this...

I was up damned late last night. I heard a strange sound from the area of the toilet (which is in a little cubicle of its own, separate from the bathroom).

The toilet had clogged and overflowed. The overflow had reached the level of the threshold, and was pouring into the entrance foyer (if you want to call it that; the room you enter when you walk in the door).

I spent considerable time - how much, I don't know - soaking up dirty water with bath towels, wringing them into the mop bucket, and repeating the process. What really worries me is, I live in an apartment in a house, and I don't want any damage to be done here. Granted, I don't want to pay for any damage, but apart from that, I don't want my landlady to be upset or to feel that I've let her down. The toilet flooded because I had flushed some cat litter down it. Well, I tried to; it just didn't work.

I use plant-based litter, so it flushes easily if a) you have better water pressure than this house does, and b) if you have a better and newer toilet than I do.

She told me some months back not to flush the litter down, but I had been doing it anyway. Very carefully, but it only takes one time like this to make you realize how stupid you've been.

The room that absorbed some of the flood has carpet, which I was able to lift up so that I could put a small piece of furniture underneath. This serves two purposes - it allows air to reach the underside of the carpet and the floor, and it shows me how the floor is looking.

The floor seems to be okay. It's parquet flooring - I wish it had been cement instead, of course - but I don't see any signs that there has been any damage. The surface of the floor is mostly dry by now, but the carpet is still wet in many places. I'm planning to leave it as it is for at least two days, then vacuum all around and under it before putting it back down.

Can someone reassure me that this is NOT a colossal disaster? I'd far prefer it if the owners never find out what happened. I plunged the toilet, so it's no longer clogged, and the towels are now having a nice, hot, soapy bath in the washing machine, and I'm still worried that some damage has been done, and/or that they're going to find out what I did.

I don't think you can have damaged the carpet if you can't see any colour changes, the only problem would be mildew and you have that covered by letting the underside air out. The floor can warp, but will probably be fine if it hasn't by now. Are there someone living under you? The floors aren't waterproof outside the bathroom, some of the water can have run down the wall to the apartment under you.
    Anyway, you can tell that the toilet was clogged, you don't have to tell why. Toilets do that from time to time, or you could say that it was the drain in the bathroom.

Comment

The floor hasn't warped at all, from what I can see. There are people living under me, and they haven't said anything, so I'm hoping that no water has seeped through. They're home almost all the time (retired), and I know they're home today.

It looks like there's a concrete base underneath the parquet, which makes sense. Most of the surface of the parquet is dry, but I'm waiting for everything to dry well, which should take a few days.

Comment

You might want to go rent a rug shampooer when the floor is dry.
        The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

Quoth ArcticChicken View Post
          You might want to go rent a rug shampooer when the floor is dry.
          This requires a lot of patience. Those things are a pain in the butt. Worth it if you can do it properly (I, apparently, cannot ) I think it was 26$ USD for 24 hours here in California.
          Thou shalt not take the name of thy goddess Whiskey in vain.

Comment

My landlord and landlady are very nice people, and that's part of what horrifies me about all this. Whenever I move, I want to leave the place looking better than it did when I moved in.

I'll see about renting a rug shampooer, but it might not be the right thing to do, given the fact that the floor underneath is wood. The carpet is only in the one room, and the room isn't very big, which is an enormous advantage right now.

I just want reassurance that everything will be okay. I have the windows open and letting in air; I've been checking the floor often to see if any changes have occurred; I just moved the carpet slightly to allow air to get to another wet place.

Comment

Working...
            X