Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do do with dried peppermint and spearmint?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do do with dried peppermint and spearmint?

So, as some of you may recall me mentioning, I ordered some dried peppermint and spearmint last week that I'm going to use to make homemade extracts with.

I did not realize that 4oz of dried leaves was going to be so flippin' much!

I have way more than I'll ever use for extracts, especially in any kind of timely fashion. Since I have so much, I would definitely like to try doing some other stuff with it. The labels suggest steeping it in hot water, either on its own or with tea, and making candy out of it. But I don't have any candy recipes and even with extract, tea, and candy, I still have way more than I know what to do with.

So, who here has some good peppermint and spearmint recipes they'd like to share?

Any dish that calls for basil, use a pinch of peppermint with it. Brings out the brightness in food. Especially if it's Mediterranean or Middle Eastern.

I'll look in my books and see if I have any mint-focused recipes.

Comment

Put equal parts spearmint, peppermint, green tea leaves and black tea leaves inside a tea ball. Make some tea. I've heard it's delicious. Lamb is also good with mint. You can also make a mint jelly? The two mints together make an awesome tea too. And if you make candies, you'll be ready for the holidays.

Edit: Chocolate-mint cookies sound good too. Mint is edible, so it's not like you need an extract for stuff like that if you want a more subtle flavor.
      My only regret is that I don't have a better word for "F@#k You".

Comment

mint tea is really good. make a tisane, not so much a tea and just steep the herbs themselves in hot water. Or make a simple syrup with the mint, and use the mint syrup for various recipes.

Make a mint oil. Homemade aromatherapy, REALLY good for easing stress.

That's all I've got for now. Too tired to think of anything else.

Oh! I'm a big believer in herbal baths, too. Get some cheesecloth, or some muslin tea bags and basically make baths out of tea. Soaking in it is really good for your skin, kind of detoxifying, and smells good while you soak. I like it, even if that makes me weird.

Comment

A couple of leaves in a glass of lemonade is good. Anyone have a recipe for minted strawberry salad?
          "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

fresh brewed iced tea with mint!! Mmm...tea...

Comment

Ooooh, I had mint lemonade last weekend and it was really good!
              "Even arms dealers need groceries." ~ Ziva David, NCIS

Tony: "Everyone's counting on you, just do what you do best."
              Abby: "Dance?" ~ NCIS

Comment

Mojitos? I know that calls for fresh mint but I'm sure there's a way it can be adapted for dried mint.

And yeah....4 ounces of dried leaves is a lot.
                "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

Quoth Dave1982 View Post
                  Mojitos? I know that calls for fresh mint but I'm sure there's a way it can be adapted for dried mint.

And yeah....4 ounces of dried leaves is a lot.
                  couldn't you just rehydrate it in a cup of boiling water? Might suck the flavor out though.
                  Thou shalt not take the name of thy goddess Whiskey in vain.

Comment

Cat toys! cats like mint. It's in the same family as catnip.

I second the idea of tea, and of cooking it down in a simple syrup.
                    My webcomic is called Sidekick Girl. Val's job is kinda like retail, except instead of corporate's dumb policies, it's the Hero Agency, and the SC's are trying to take over the world.

Comment

I second the aromatherapy oil - its a fantastic stress reliever, and I have always found that smelling essence of peppermint can calm an upset stomach.
                      The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

Comment

Simple syrups are good, and those can be used in lieu of fresh mint for a quickie mojito, or in a lemonade for a little fresh burst of flavour. Also good for cooking, baking, or anything else that calls for both sugar and water.

Comment

Quoth Whiskey View Post
                          couldn't you just rehydrate it in a cup of boiling water? Might suck the flavor out though.
                          Doesn't work so well with herbs, especially if they're not whole. You lose way too much oil out of them in the drying process which not only is part of the flavour, but also is what holds it together so it can be reconstituted.
                          I AM the evil bastard!
                          A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Working...
                          X