This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pizza Pizza Pizza!!

So, I've been craving pizza lately, and last night I made my usual zesty sauce. I'm waiting on dough to rise, so I can parbake it and freeze it for future pizzas. So far, I'm planning on a veggie pizza with mushrooms, tomatoes, peppers and onions, as well as a spinach, mushroom and tomato pizza with mozzarella and feta. Any one have any other topping combination to recommend? I avoid most meats except sausage because they're preserved with sodium nitrites and nitrates and those make me violently ill.

I have some italian sausage in the freezer, and was toying with the idea of zucchini or something, (though not with the sausage, I don't think). So, tell me folks, what should I try?

I use pesto in place of a red sauce, then lay down a layer of fresh mozzarella (homemade is even better if you're so inclined), top with artichoke hearts and sprinke with goat cheese crumbles. Bake until done then enjoy! This is my favorite pizza, which my wife finds strange since I am an avowed carnivore.
    My Space

Comment

Shrimp, pesto, feta, scallions, mushrooms. MMMM

Comment

I like ricotta cheese (small dollops* on a regular cheese pizza)...makes little sweet spots..yum

(one of the good things I got from Ex...)

*I also like the word dollop
        I don't go in for ancient wisdom
        I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
        It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Forgo the parbaking and try grilling it if you can. It's delicious! I like garden style pizza myself. We get fresh zucchini, onions, mushrooms, and squash, and saute them a little, then pop on the sauce, and whatever else, and then put it back in direct heat on the grill, and VOILA, instant awesome flavor. That way later, you can make your own without having to fire up the oven if you make a bunch extra. Or, if you don't want to turn the grill on each time, just microwave them to heat it up. That's how we do it, but I guess we're grillaholics over here. Also, for meat, we like using pastrami or salami. I don't know if they have the nitrates that bother you, but if you get a really good brand, there might not be? I know the more expensive ones use celery juice instead. Hard salami is really yummy on pizza.

I trailed off a lot since we had them last night and were yummy, but what I'm trying to say is that using a charcoal grill and sorta making it flatbread style is good if you want to try the lazy 'microwave' method later on.
          My only regret is that I don't have a better word for "F@#k You".

Comment

turkey or chicken sliced up, some tomatoes, some jalapenos, some garlic and some sweet peppers with a mixture of mozerella and your favorite white melting cheese (sometimes i use white chedder) its yummy and just alittle spicey

Comment

Mmmm.... pizza!

Best pizza around, as far as I'm concerned... hmm... that's a REALLY tough call!

But if push came to shove, I'd probably pick LEDO!

If you don't know about Ledo Pizza & Pasta, it means you aren't from Maryland and you're missing out!
              "Eventually one outgrows the fairy tales of childhood, belief in Santa and the Easter Bunny, and believing that SCs are even capable of imagining themselves in our position."
              --StanFlouride

Comment

Back when I ate pizza, I would fry up an egg, cut/shred it up, then put that on pizza. I would also put barbecue chicken and sometimes bacon on there with my sausage...but I don't know which of those meats you would be able to eat.
                Darn, I have problems with nitrates too. Delicious ham is out of the question now

Instead of sauce I used to put a little olive oil, garlic, and pizza seasonings. They sell them in shakers now.
                Dunno if that sounds good to you or not though.
                Oh wook at teh widdle babeh dwaggin! How cyuuute babeh dwag-AAAAAAAUUUGGGHHHH! *nom*
                http://jennovazombie.deviantart.com

Comment

I know you said you'd prefer to avoid meats, but there's a local chain here that makes BBQ chicken pizza and it's AWESOME. It's basically a pizza dough with cheese (no tomato sauce) then diced chicken and sweet BBQ sauce is put on top. To die for, and you could always use fresh chicken to avoid the preservative problem.

They also do buffalo chicken, which is exactly the same except with buffalo wing sauce instead of bbq sauce. I hate buffalo chicken but that one is also quite popular.
                  "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

I generally make very plain pizzas, but I have discovered that a salsa base for the sauce is scrummy. I usually follow it with diced ham or bacon & cheese, but I suppose any fresh uncured diced meat will do just as well. I'm not a huge lover of veg pizzas so can't offer any suggestions there
                    In fact, I may try it with chicken & sweetcorn next time I make one
                    Arp happens!

Just when I was getting used to yesterday, along came today.

Comment

White pizza.

It has no red sauce but ricotta cheese as well as the regular mozzarella.

You can also put veggies on it (broccoli is a common favorite) and some other meats.

Just an FYI - it's hard to make a good white pizza (I've only found one place that made a good one) but when you pull it off it's great.
                      Quote Dalesys:
                      ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

I like plain-ish pizza....maybe mushrooms or green peppers. But that's it. I don't like any meat on my pizza, because it always makes it so greasy. And stop this nonsense about 'white pizza' and 'bbq pizza'. Such travesties against nature should not be called pizza.
                        "Even arms dealers need groceries." ~ Ziva David, NCIS

Tony: "Everyone's counting on you, just do what you do best."
                        Abby: "Dance?" ~ NCIS

Comment

AA, I thought the same thing until I tried the BBQ chicken pizza. Trust me, it's REALLY good.
                          "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

Now I want pizza.
                            Unseen but seeing
                            oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                            There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                            3rd shift needs love, too
                            RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth Becks View Post
                              Now I want pizza.
                              my daughter has just had some delivered for her brother & her... the smell is making my tum rumble

Oh well, just an hour or so before my quorn & bean chilli is ready
                              Arp happens!

Just when I was getting used to yesterday, along came today.

Comment

Working...
                              X