This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Certified mail

Okay, recently my employer sent something certified.

It showed up in my mailbox, certified tag attached. In other words, they paid nearly $7 in postage for something to be delivered as regular mail.

Since then, I've received several more certified letters. One of which will get me into HUGE legal trouble if I ignore it (jury duty).

WTF do I do with this? I've made several complaints to the post office to no avail. Misdelivered mail is common here, it's gotten to where neighbors tape misdelivered mail to the proper mailbox. This is a roughly 250 unit apartment complex, and judging by how many misdelivered items get taped to mailboxes, close to 75-100 pieces are misdelivered per day. I never got my COBRA or separation packet from work even though work mailed it 2 weeks ago, by, you got it.. certified mail.

Uhm, either all the boxes dont have last names posted on each box (unlikely for an entire complex), or the mail carrier is lazy. Are all the certifieds you get all yours, or for random people? I know my dad gets kind of huffy if people don't have their names on their box and he has to try and figure out where the mail goes. In his defense though, its hard as heck to remember where the mail for 250 people go if 10 families live in a building, and people constantly move in and out.

Comment

Go to your post office and speak to the postmaster and/or carrier supervisor about this problem now.

Comment

On the inside of each box is a plastic holder for a small index card. When I moved in it had my apt # and last name of the previous tenant, I put in a new one with my apt # and last name.

I regularly get first class mail for my upstairs neighbor (mostly netflix dvds), but all the certified mail has been addressed to me. 4 years and I'm STILL getting mail for the previous tenants too. I did notice we got a different carrier several months ago - the last one was usually cool to talk to, always wore a t-shirt and shorts with a cigarette hanging out of his mouth every day. Had some good stories, not a fan of the smoke, but I grew up in a household of smokers and used to smoke myself as well.

When I get mail for anyone in my building, I'll usually just leave it at their door - there's a metal clip next to every door for apartment notices. If it's someone I actually know I'll knock first, I know a few people in my building.

The last guy was pretty good with getting stuff accurate, the guy we have now is very unfriendly and will barely acknowledge you if you try to ask him something. At this apt complex, if someone gets someone else's mail, if it's close to their own apt they'll drop it by, otherwise they stick it in the gap in the trim above the mail boxes. Used to be you'd see 1 or 2 a week, today there were a good 30+ (mostly for the neighboring building).

edit: Just did an online complaint at usps.com.
        Last edited by bean; 09-02-2010, 07:04 AM.

Comment

Working...
        X