This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Official Dark-Hunter Fan Thread

I decided to start this after I discovered a fellow Dark-Hunter Series fan in another thread.

I am a Sherrilyn Kenyon Minion and proud of it. I also role play as Davyn and Strkerious over at Facebook.

Any other Kenyon Minions on CS.com?

Fellow Kenyon minion, reporting for duty.

That you're involved in a DH roleplay on Facebook is awesome, by the way. I usually just keep my RPing to AIM.

Gah!! I can't wait for the next edition of the manga. It centers around Night Embrace, I believe. I could be wrong about the actual book it ties in with, but I do know that it's Talon's book. Which is why I'm so excited about it. Talon is one of my favorite of the Dark-Hunters (he ties with Zarek. I can't choose just one of them)
    "Things that fail to kill me make me level up." ~ NateWantsToBattle, Training Hard (Counting Stars parody)

Comment

You got it. Night Emprace is Talon's book and it sets the pace for a lot of the future books.

Talon's phone conversation with Wulf ties in with Kiss of the Night and of course this is where we meet Vane, Fang, and the Peltier family.

I honestly believe Night Pleasures was just a book that was meant to be a sequel to Fantasy Lover and Night Embrace was where Sherrilyn had the entire series figured out.

Comment

That's not too far off. Fantasy Lover is commonly billed as the prequel to the whole series, and Night Pleasures is considered to be the actual first book.
        "Things that fail to kill me make me level up." ~ NateWantsToBattle, Training Hard (Counting Stars parody)

Comment

I finally read Dragonswan this morning. I have to say I wasn't terribly impressed with it.

I like the idea of seeing the Drakos but there wasn't quite enough action in it to keep me interested. Shadow of the Moon and Winterborn were much more balanced in terms of action vs. exposition and they both had a lot more characters to explain.

Comment

Yeah, I wasn't terribly impressed with Dragonswan either. The rest of the Were-Hunter books are much better. Though that seemed to be fairly common with her earlier works. Fantasy Lover? I wasn't terribly impressed with it. Night Pleasures was quite a bit better, and the rest of the series just kept improving from there.

Comment

Anne Rice kind of had the same start out. Interview with the Vampire and the rest of the Vampire Chronicles really tell two different stories.

Comment

I've never read any of Anne Rice's books, so I can't say anything either way.

As far as the Dark-Hunter books, though...I didn't even start at the beginning. The first one I ever read was actually Dream Hunter. I was browsing the campus bookstore and happened to stop and glance at their selection of new paperbacks up by the registers. Didn't realize when I was reading the back of the book that it was a romance novel.

At the time, I'd never even thought to pick up something of that genre. The mythology aspect of the series, though, drew me in because I love anything and everything to do with Greek mythology. And now I'm hooked and I own all of the series except for Upon A Midnight Clear....and No Mercy, of course. I'm trying to decide if I want to wait for the paperback, put it on my Kindle, or just get the hardcover version.

Comment

That's okay. The first book I read of hers was Dark Side of the Moon, not knowing it was a part of a series, then I read Sins of the Night (Danger and Alexion) book after that, not knowing it took place before DStoM. Then I read Talon's book before I read Kyrian's and I just stumbled kinda ass backwards until I figured out the right reading order. (Not counting the short stories of course. I didn't know about Winterborn, which takes place before Unleash the Night and has one of my favorite Simi scenes next to A Dark-Hunter Christmas)

I used to read Unleash the Night (Wren and Maggie) right after Night Play (Vane and Bride) not knowing that Sieze the Night (Valerius and Tabitha) and Sins of the Night came between those two.

Alas, No Mercy was at Borders Express today and it took an unfathomable amount of self control not to buy it. I know Kenyon's books are worth the wait but gods what a wait.

No more splurging for me until October, when the Psychic Fair is on.

On a side note, I agree with you on Midnight Clear. I think it was too formulaic. Kind of slapped together overnight for a deadline or something. Although it was a change of pace to see the male counterpart of the story being the "Newbie" to the supernatural world for a change. I think Dream Chaser was a huge improvent in the Dream-Hunter storyline.

I would sell my lungs to a blackmarket dealer if Sherrilyn Kenyon would make Salem, Mass a part of her book tour though.
                  Last edited by NateTheChops; 09-10-2010, 10:29 PM.

Comment

Quoth NateTheChops View Post

I would sell my lungs to a blackmarket dealer if Sherrilyn Kenyon would make Salem, Mass a part of her book tour though.

Oh gosh. I so know the feeling. XD The city I live in isn't terribly big, so no authors I've actually heard of and whose stuff I read have ever come here. I would give my left foot to go to a book signing for either Sherrilyn Kenyon or Jim Butcher.

Comment

On the plus side, however, it seems the Salem Library is quite accomdating and they order all of Sherrilyn Kenyon's books on the due date.

I only have to wait until the twenty-third to check out No Mercy. Then I can wait until the paperback to add it to my collection.

Comment

Nice! The library in my city is kinda gross, so I usually avoid it. Thus, I have no idea if they stock any Sherrilyn Kenyon books. I *might* end up getting the Kindle version, though. Because, as much as I do enjoy the BAD Agency series, they don't really do it for me like the Dark-Hunters books.

Comment

So, let me ask you something. This is something I tend to debate vigorously with other readers and it's always a one sided subject.

<Spoiler alert>

Devil May Cry. Katra and Sin.

We know Katra at this point. We know she's Ash's daughter and this is the book where Ash is finally told about it.

Sin is a new character in this book. But people still think of Devil May Cry as Sin's Happily Ever After. I prefer to think of it as Kat's HEA.

Any thoughts on that one?

Comment

Working...
                          X