This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What works for you?

Anybody have any home remedies regarding allergies?!

The pollen/ragweed count is high as F**K here and I am unable to breathe (but I can still type...wooo!)

I am literally about to rip my face off. I take Zyrtec D which is the ONLY THING THAT WORKS...but the pseudoephedrine it has in it renders me useless, and I have to sleep alot. Regular Zyrtec has minimal results with me. Claritin just plain doesnt work. And usually, anything marked "non drowsy" knocks me right out..

Anyone? What do you use?

Stuff towels under the bathroom door, completely block off any cracks as best you can and take the hottest shower you can stand. It'll steam out your nasal passages and help you breath better

Comment

Eat something with lots of chilli in to clear the nose.
      ludo ergo sum

Comment

Have you ever tried any nasal sprays? Some are perscription (steroid) but some are just saline and over-the-counter.

Steam is also good. If you don't have time to take a shower, boil some water, put it in a dish or bowl, get your face down near it and toss a towel over your head and breath in deeply for a few minutes. Same result, less mess.

I take a combo of Sudafed, Benedryl, and Allegra, in addition to nasal sprays... it still doesn't do enough for me, so I may go back to allergy shots. Though I am not sure they're worth it for seasonal-only allergies.

Comment

You might want to look into steroid nasal sprays. My sister swears by them. Not really a home remedy, though.

Comment

Thanks guys. Its not typically the congestion I hve an issue wiIth. Its the sneezing, the watery eyes and the never ending nose faucet. I was just looking for something that i could use and still use the meds I have.

Ive thought about a steroid spray, but I hate sprays... lol. Theyre icky. I may have no choice though. Im miserable. I spent about 15 minutes in the med aisle @ Rite Aide looking for something that wont knock me out but is still effective. I ended up buying regular Zyrtec and a package of Pseudoephedrine (Sudafed PE) so that can control the amount of PE that i get since thats stuff that knocks me out. Zyrtec D has a large chunk of that do im hoping if I cut it down, ill stay up longer.

Ill have to make a doc appt soon...

Comment

Get thyself some locally-produced honey. I still don't know why this works, but apparently it does. Eating and drinking things made with locally-produced honey helps with allergies.
              "Things that fail to kill me make me level up." ~ NateWantsToBattle, Training Hard (Counting Stars parody)

Comment

Mom takes Alfalfa daily, I can't remember how much (per manufacturers directions on the bottle) and it has really cut down on her problems.
                Meeeeoooow.....
                Still missing you, Plaid

Comment

I find that a really strong, hot, sweet cup of tea helps with my dust allergies after vacuuming/dusting. The heat (from holding the mug) also seems to help my hands feel better while my antihistamine kicks in if I'm forgetful and handle sugarcane mulch without gloves.
                  Don't tempt pixies, it never ends well.

Avatar created by the lovely Eisa.

Comment

An air purifier will help in the house.
                    The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

My wife uses Loraradine (generic for Claraitin) because it works and is one of the few the Dr's say won't interact with her other meds. It works for not only the runny-nose and sneezing, but itching as well.

Eric the Grey
                      In memory of Dena - Don't Drink and Drive

Comment

The honey suggestion is a good one.

It's actually a little like allergy shots - since the honey is from pollenated flowers it exposes you to very small amounts of things you're allergic to and you build up tolerance. However, has to be locally produced or it's no help.

Comment

If you can get ahold of Drixoral, buy as much of it as you can. It might knock you out, but I've yet to find anything better. Unfortunately, it's really hard to find right now. Might have to order it from Canada. Generic Chlortabs are an acceptable substitute. You might try a NetiPot to clear out the nasal passages, too. Just remember to put a little salt in the water or it's not going to feel so good.
                          I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

I hate Neti pots...! Yes, im a hater...those things skeve me out. Lol. And honestly, I get relief for like 5 minutes so Id almost rather not.

I need non knocky out stuff b/c of work. If I go to work and sleep, or worse, make a horrid mistake b/c im medicated, I dont even want to think about the consequences. I like the honey idea..I have to find some. The farmers markets are open tomorrow. Ill see what I can find.

Comment

I third the local honey trick, and have a couple more up my sleeve. Sinus headaches and/or pressure? Put your thumb between your eyes just above your nose, and alternate pushing up on the roof of your mouth with your tongue, and that area. It'll clean out your sinuses in no time. But be warned! It all goes down to your mouth. So have a tissue/area to get rid of it if you plan on doing so. Spicy foods and hot drinks help too. You can double its effectiveness if you put the honey in. If you don't feel like using local honey, try getting Bee Pollen from an herb shop. It won't be as effective, but it's the same thing.
                              My only regret is that I don't have a better word for "F@#k You".

Comment

Working...
                              X