This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Need Your Recipes!

Mr Jedi and I are making cookbooks for Christmas gifts. One book for my aunt and uncle who both have celiac disease. Between the two of them, they also have dairy, vinegar, and garlic sensitivities. So as you can imagine, going out to eat with them can be, um, interesting. In addition to recipies shamelessly stolen from the interwebs, I want to know what our CS members with food sensitivities/allergies like to eat. Hit me with your gluten-free and dairy-free goodness. And/or what substitutions you use to make traditional recipes gluten/dairy free.

The second book we're making has been dubbed "Broke College Kid Who Can't Cook" for Li'l Sis. So, bachelors, bachelorettes, college folks, this is your chance to share your favorite recipes that are quick and cheap. Even better if it makes a lot of leftovers.

Also in the works is a possible low-fat, diabetic cookbook for my grandparents and an "Empty Nesters" book for my parents. Li'l Bro will be leaving on a church mission in January, so we're waiting to see where he goes before we decide on his book. If he goes State-side, he's getting the same one Li'l Sis gets.

Thanks in advance for your help. I can't wait for this to all come together.
    I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

I'm pretty sure there are a couple of threads like this already, but I'll pitch my spicy chicken recipe. It's actually really simple. Take chicken breasts (preferably boneless ones), put them in a ziploc back with taco seasoning, shake them up, put them in the oven. Very, very simple. It might be out of the price range for most broke college students as chicken can get expensive, but it's easy, quick, and requires very few ingredients. Oh, and yummy.
    You can find me on Backloggery, Facebook, Twitch, Twitter, YouTube

Comment

Quoth jedimaster91 View Post
      The second book we're making has been dubbed "Broke College Kid Who Can't Cook" for Li'l Sis. So, bachelors, bachelorettes, college folks, this is your chance to share your favorite recipes that are quick and cheap. Even better if it makes a lot of leftovers.
      Hamburger Casserole

Ground beef
      Onion (optional)
      Canned green beans
      Potatoes (boiled or canned)
      Creamed corn

Brown the ground beef (with the onion, if using one).

Layer the meat, green beans and potatoes in a baking pan. Top with creamed corn.

Cover with aluminum.

Bake at 350 for half an hour or so.

Yummy!!!!!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When I make it, I usually use about 2-3 lbs. of ground beef, a few cans each of the green beans and creamed corn, and the same if I'm using canned potatoes. When I use boiled potatoes, I use a couple, but it depends on the size. Oh, yeah. The onion...I use a small to medium one, cut into decent sized chunks (my mom doesn't like onions, so I cut them big enough for her to pick them out).

Also, other canned vegetables can be used, these are just the preferred ones in my family.
      Unseen but seeing
      oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
      There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
      3rd shift needs love, too
      RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Very simple chili recipe

Take 5 lbs. of meat and brown it in a large pot.
        Drain the meat.
        Put the meat back into the pot.
        Put in 3 cans of chili beans (including the chili bean sauce).
        Drain 1 can of black beans.
        Put the black beans into the pot.
        Put in 2 large cans of tomato sauce (or enough to mostly fill up the pot).
        Top off pot with V8.
        Turn back on stove at a medium temperature, stirring regularly.
        Add chili powder, black pepper, garlic, and salt as necessary.

Optionally, you can add peppers and onions to the meat as it's browning as well as minor spices that should absorb into the meat. This process may take an hour depending on how quickly the stove heats, how long it takes to put everything together, etc.

Follow up easy chili mac recipe

When the chili gets to about the halfway mark, you should do this. Make a LOT of pastaroni or macaroni and cheese. Add to chili. Add some extra pepper, salt, milk, and butter. Turn stove on to medium. Stir regularly until everything has mixed and is hot.
        You can find me on Backloggery, Facebook, Twitch, Twitter, YouTube

Comment

Here's one for the students:

Poor Man's Goulash

1 piece of light meat (diced pork, chicken, turkey, whatever - luxury edition: ½ pork tenderloin, sliced)

1 sliced onion

a handfull of chopped/sliced mushrooms

a cup of cream

Brown the meat and take it aside.
          Fry onions.
          Fry mushrooms.
          Add seasonings of your choice. (My fave is dry ground paprika but curry powder does as well)
          Add cream.
          Add the previously browned meat and let stir for approx. 15 minutes. Season with salt/pepper as you see fit.

Serve with rice or potato mash.
          Last edited by NorthernZel; 09-07-2010, 07:27 PM.
          A theory states that if anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for, it will be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.

Another theory states that this has already happened.

Comment

The best chicken marinade:

1 or 2 bottles of Italian Dressing (I generally use one "zesty" and one regular.
            Put your chicken into a zip-loc bag and pour enough dressing in to cover them, and let marinade overnight (at least)

Grill, bake or crockpot until done.

Eric the Grey
            In memory of Dena - Don't Drink and Drive

Comment

One thing I will mention to the people using prepared stuff, like taco seasoning and Italian dressing, and to jedi if she's planning on incorporating these recipes into her cookbook: Make sure you check the ingredient labels of any thing that isn't fresh. You wouldn't believe how much stuff has something in it that someone who has allergies or intolerances can't eat. A friend of mine has a wheat and corn allergy, for instance (she doesn't need gluten-free, she just can't eat wheat or corn. Not sure exactly what the difference is, actually.) I'm willing to bet taco seasoning has either cornstarch or some sort of wheat flour in it as a thickening agent. Just a warning.

That said, I just made some totally amazing cookies for said friend last week that she loved, that don't have any flour at all in them. They do have egg whites, though. Not sure if the dairy intolerance jedi mentioned extends to eggs, but here's the recipe regardless.

Flourless Fudge Cookies

2 1/4 cups powdered sugar*
              1/4 teaspoon salt
              1 teaspoon espresso powder, optional
              1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, preferably Dutch process*
              3-4 egg whites from large eggs**
              2 teaspoons vanilla extract (or whatever flavor you like, almond would be nice with chocolate, make sure it's gluten-free if making for someone with celiac disease)
              up to 2 cups add-ins, such as chopped nuts or chocolate chips, optional

*Did you know most powdered sugars and some cocoa powders are made with cornstarch? I didn't until my friend mentioned it to me. Had to make a special trip to the store to find powdered sugar made with tapioca starch. You can also make your own powdered sugar by putting regular white sugar and some kind of starch (corn or tapioca) in a blender and blending until powdery. I don't know the ratios right off-hand so if interested, just google "homemade powdered sugar."

**The original recipe said to use 3 egg whites, but some of the reviews I read said that the mixture was too stiff with only 3 and that a 4th was needed. I ended up using 4 egg whites myself to get the consistency I thought was needed, and the cookies turned out great, so it'll just depend on how big your eggs are.

In a large bowl, mix together the powdered sugar, salt, cocoa powder, and espresso powder, if using. Whisk well, breaking up any clumps of cocoa or sugar that may be present. Add the egg whites and any extracts you want to use. Start with 3 egg whites and mix well; the batter should be thick but runny, if that makes sense. It should not be stiff and dry, but very sticky, wet, and goopy. You'll have to mix well to get the egg whites fully incorporated, but don't overmix once everything comes together. I mixed it by hand pretty easily with a wooden spoon to prevent overmixing. Add any chocolate chips, nuts, toffee bits, etc. that you want.

Line your baking sheets with parchment paper and spray with non-stick spray (yes, they will stick even to parchment if the parchment is not greased.) Drop the batter by about 1/8 cup scoops onto the sheets. They will look like puddles on the cookie sheets; leave plenty of space between each one. You will supposedly get about 12 large cookies if you don't add any chocolate chips or nuts, or anywhere from 24-48 if you do add chips/nuts, depending on how much you add and how big of cookies you make (I got 24, but I only added about a cup of chocolate chips.)

Bake at 350 degrees, for anywhere from 8 (for smaller or no-add-ins cookies) to 12 (for larger or chocolate chip-added cookies) minutes. They are done when they appear puffed up and slightly cracked on the top.

This is a somewhat cake-like cookie and very very rich. My friend, who as I mentioned is allergic to corn and wheat (and about 100 other things, seriously, it's a wonder she's still alive) absolutely loved them. Everyone else who she shared them with said they were very good, as well.

Comment

my mother has 101 recipe for hamburger but here is my 'how to make 5 dollars of cutlets into 3 meals or 15 dollars 3 meals'

1 go to the store and buy your choice of meat (steak chicken pork) that is steak like (bone less chicken pork chops etc) as well as some basics. Lets say we are going with steak so buy 3 potatoes, the vegetable of the season, a dozen eggs (half dozen if money is really tight and you dont think you could use a whole dozen) a small pack of flour tortillas some cheese of your choice and a small onion and some mushrooms.

2 i presume you bought the cheapest version of this that will contain 1 or two of the cutlets. Cut the cutlets in half.

3 season and cook in your preferred manor be it grill skillet or oven. Make your favorite sides for it too (hopefully this is what you use the veggies and the potatoes for.. I suggest cooking this with onions and mushrooms but that just me.

4. take one of the pieces you portioned out earlier and enjoy! thats your dinner. Cover the rest in tin foil.

5. before you go to bed (after the meat is cooled) cute up the remaining portion. 1/2 sliced 1/2 cubed.

put the cubed of in a bowl with any left over onions (leave a little of the onion out) and mushrooms. stick in the fridge.

get out the tortillas, lay out a peice of tin foil or plastic, put how ever many tortillas you want on their own piece of warping and spread out the remaining sliced steak, onions, potatoes and veggies if there are any and sprinkle cheese on it. Dont over pack, its ok to have more than one.

wrap the tortilla up tightly and wrap with the tin foil or plastic. Stick in the fridge and go to bed

The next morning you can either make this or you can wait for dinner its a any time meal.

Take the left over chucked of meat and onion and mushroom and place in a slight warm, not hot, oven safe pan.
                whisk together 3-4 eggs.
                Sprinkle alittle cheese on the meat onion and mushrooms, pour the eggs on top add more cheese and stick in a preheated oven at 350 for about 25 minutes or ountil Golden Brown and Fluffy.
                ive had it cook up in 18-20 and have it taken as long as 30 so check on it often.

Or if you are trying to save electricity here something most people dont thing about.
                You can do all that in a crock pot! hell you can bake a cake in a crock pot *disclaimer- im not saying it would perfectly sinfully cake like but it would be cakeish*

serve with a little salsa or if your me and dont see the appeal of any salsa that isn't pace and mild as possible salt and pepper.

now the wraps you made can be stuffed in to a lunch box, back pack or anything to take with you to a place where you will have access to a microwave.

just heat it up for about 2 and a half minutes (3 if your machine sucks) un wrap for the plastic and try not to burn your mouth.

to buy all that you would spend about 12-15 dollars and not only could make these thee things but you could also make chicken salad, toss some cut up pork chops into a crock pot with mexican spices and tomatoes and make makeshift carnitas, make stuff tomatoes with chicken inside any number of things.

these are just my favorite.
                Last edited by Sliceanddice; 09-07-2010, 09:20 PM.

Comment

Not really a recipe, but never forget the old formula: protein + starch + veggie = dinner. Buy chicken/beef/pork when it goes on sale, portion and freeze it. Cook the meat (bake, grill, what have you). Cook some rice (or mashed potatoes or mac'n'cheese or couscous or pasta). Add some kind of veggie. Steam some frozen broccoli, cook green beans or corn (all of these are usually pretty cheap in frozen and/or canned form.) Try to keep veggies and fruits in the diet. Buy what can last for a long time - frozen/canned veggies, fruits like apples and oranges that have some shelf life. A bargain isn't a bargain if it gets thrown in the trash can.

It's not super cheap (or super healthy), but most people love my macaroni casserole. The recipe is here: http://www.customerssuck.com/board/s...04&postcount=5 It makes an epic amount of food. Perfect for entertaining.
                  "Even arms dealers need groceries." ~ Ziva David, NCIS

Tony: "Everyone's counting on you, just do what you do best."
                  Abby: "Dance?" ~ NCIS

Comment

Cheap Cuts of Meat Casserole
                    --------------------------------------

Get cheap meat - 'braising' or 'casseroling' meat. Any animal will do.
                    Cut into chunks of about a forkful each.
                    Roll the chunks in salted flour (or flour-replacement for the gluten-free folks).
                    Put a tablespoon of flour in a casserole dish, and stir into water until dissolved.
                    Add the meat.
                    Add chunks of root vegetables, such as potato, carrot, turnip, onion.
                    Add other vegetables that can tolerate long cooking times, such as cabbage, celery or broccoli stem.
                    Add any herbs or spices desired.
                    Cover with water, no higher than 3/4 of the way to the top of the casserole dish.
                    Cover with the lid.
                    Cook in an oven at a medium setting for an hour, or a medium-low setting for two hours. (the slower setting will give yummier results.)
                    Add any faster-cooking veggies you want.
                    If desired, top with mashed potato.
                    Cook on medium for another half hour.

A small casserole dish, filled to 3/4 full, will usually provide 3 or 4 meals. A larger dish can feed you for a week, though I'd recommend freezering a bunch and alternating with another type of meal.

You can use a very similar recipe to make a stew. Just put it in a stewing pot on the stovetop, instead of a casserole dish in the oven. Oh, and don't try to top the stew with the mashed potato. That doesn't work. Simmer the stew - don't have it at any sort of high boil.
                    Seshat's self-help guide:
                    1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                    2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                    3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                    4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

I cook mainly with marinades these days. All these I use with chicken.
                      Also a glaze, which I use on chicken and bake.

Marinade 1

2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
                      2 tbsp red cooking wine
                      1/2 cup olive oil
                      1 bay leaf
                      1 clove garlic chopped

Marinade 2

2 tbsp Balsamic vinegar
                      2 tbsp white cooking wine
                      1/2 cup olive oil
                      1 lemon wedge squeezed

Glaze

2 tbsp strawberry jam
                      1 tsp white cooking wine

Comment

Quoth MaggieTheCat View Post
                        A friend of mine has a wheat and corn allergy, for instance (she doesn't need gluten-free, she just can't eat wheat or corn. Not sure exactly what the difference is, actually.) I'm willing to bet taco seasoning has either cornstarch or some sort of wheat flour in it as a thickening agent. Just a warning.
                        Gluten-free means that they need to avoid gluten which is in wheat, barley and rye. The thickening agent in taco seasoning varies, some are cornstarch, but I have also seen potato starch and rice flour used. I.E. Old El Paso uses cornstarch, but McCormick uses potato starch.

Comment

That's good to know. I just know that my friend has a REALLY hard time buying anything that's pre-prepared, because just about everything has some form of wheat or corn in it.

Comment

Have they tried Lactaid? or lactose-free milk I use it. get it from Safeway(Canadian food chain). there are also non gluten pastas available from several places such as health food stores, don't remember any brand names for those sorry.
                            It's a tough row to hoe, and I'm just the Joe to hoe it.

Comment

Quoth TheMike View Post
                              Have they tried Lactaid? or lactose-free milk I use it. get it from Safeway(Canadian food chain). there are also non gluten pastas available from several places such as health food stores, don't remember any brand names for those sorry.
                              My sister in law is a Celiac, along with other allergies. My favorite gluten-free pasta is Tinkyada. I also like Udi's gluten-free bread.

Comment

Working...
                              X