This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Premature graying- Fixable?

Premature gray hair runs in my dad's side of the family. By the time he was in his 30s, my dad was completely gray. I have very very dark hair (i.e. so dark a shade of brown that it's often mistaken for black), and have noticed a few silver strands over the past few years. This year, though, it seems to be getting worse. Is there some way that I can, I dunno, stop it or at least slow it down? XD

Also, my mom thinks that I should, at some point, color my hair so that the grays don't show up. Is this advisable, or should I just leave it alone?
    "Things that fail to kill me make me level up." ~ NateWantsToBattle, Training Hard (Counting Stars parody)

unfortunately, if it's gonna happen, it's gonna happen. i also come from a family of early grayers, and i noticed my first grays at 18. now, at 32, i have a significant amount of gray in my hair. i used to color it, but too much of that over a long period is not good for your hair, and it gets expensive to maintain, as once the color starts growing out, the gray shows right back up and can potentially stand out even more. now i just accept it as is; it's much easier and cheaper.
    My Space

Comment

My husband is 21 and starting to grey, but he's always wanted to dye his hair silver, so it's the cheap and gradual way to do it.
      Oh wook at teh widdle babeh dwaggin! How cyuuute babeh dwag-AAAAAAAUUUGGGHHHH! *nom*
      http://jennovazombie.deviantart.com

Comment

If you want to dye your hair, go ahead. Otherwise, don't.
        The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

I have considered getting it dyed. I've heard, though, as tacohuman said, that it can be expensive and is not good for your hair if done too often. I've also heard that it can be pretty damaging if done improperly.
          "Things that fail to kill me make me level up." ~ NateWantsToBattle, Training Hard (Counting Stars parody)

Comment

Hair dyes have improved a LOT. Most don't contain any ammonia anymore, and thus don't do as much damage to the hair. While getting it done in a salon by a professional colorist is going to provide the best results, it is a LOT more expensive than doing it at home. If you take proper care of your hair: follow the directions on the dye kit, don't dye too often (more than every 4-6 weeks), use shampoo and conditioners made for colored hair, and get deep-conditioning treatments periodically, you should be fine to color your hair at home. The home-use kits are very easy to use.

Of course, if you're like me and have super oily hair naturally, you can color your hair and skip conditioners and still have hair that's in great condition (I used to dye my hair specifically to dry it out some!).
            Don't wanna; not gonna.

Comment

I use henna, and it doesn't appear to have damaged my hair at all.
              The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

I see nothing wrong with using a semi-permanent color every month if it makes you feel better. $5 or $6 a month? Very doable. But some people look awesome with gray. My friend is 32 but looks 40 because of his graying. He's hot anyway.
                "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

I started getting grey at 16 and I started dying my hair that age, too, so it evens out.

Comment

Thanks to maternal side of the family genetics, I've been going gray since I was 12. I alternate between dying it and just letting it be.

Unseen but seeing
                    oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                    There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                    3rd shift needs love, too
                    RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Going gray is in my top 5 list of fears.
                      You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

My dad seems to think Peanuts help with that. he's been eating raw peanuts every day for as long as I can remember, we always had a big ol bag of peanuts from costco or the like sitting around. He's 72 and just recently started going gray. My mom on the other had has been dying her hair for something like 15 years. I have been not so lucky, I just turned 29 and I totally skipped going gray, I'm getting WHITE hair. Although If I get blonde highlights every so often it's not too noticeable.
                        It's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. -Office space

Comment

Let it go gray, girls like it. (some girls, anyway.)
                          When will the fantasy end? When will the heaven begin?

Comment

Quoth Fashion Lad! View Post
                            Let it go gray, girls like it. (some girls, anyway.)

Do guys like it? XD

Comment

Quoth firecat88 View Post

Do guys like it? XD

i do, actually. my wife is freaking out that she's going gray now at 29, but i think it looks pretty hot on her.
                              My Space

Comment

Working...
                              X