This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stupid pouch belly!!

So I think I am cool with my weight (wouldn't mind losing a few more pounds, but if its doesn't happen, it doesn't happen...sometimes ya just plateau )

But...I have a pouch belly....thankfully it isn't that big that I get the rude "are you preggers" comment...but it IS annoying.

Anyone gotten rid of their belly? Have any advice? Thank ye kindly
    "Getting to the top is optional. Getting down is mandatory." _Ed Viesturs
    "Love what you do. If you haven't found it yet, keep looking, and don't settle" Steve Jobs

first, a disclaimer. i'm not a personal trainer. i learned some of these moves from a program called P90X. it's a good program from beachbody.com.

sit ups, scissors, leg lifts, superman/bananas, steam engine...lots of cardio.
    i'm sure you know what sit ups and crunches are.

scissors: you lay on your back, hands flat at your sides, looking up at the ceiling. keeping your legs straight, lift your left leg about an inch off the floor, and bring your right foot straight up towards the ceiling, perpendicular to the floor. hold for a second, and switch legs. try not to touch the floor with your feet. repeat for 15 times each side.

superman/bananas: lay on your back, keep legs straight and together. raise arms above your head. lift your feet and shoulders up off the floor, keeping legs and arms straight. this is the banana part. hold for a second, roll over to your stomach, keeping feet and hands off the floor. that's superman. roll the opposite way back on to your back. that's one set. do 15 sets.

steam engine: stand up. clasp your hands together behind your head, elbows out to the side. twist to the left, so your right elbow is pointing forward. lift your left knee up to meet your elbow, but try not to bend at the waist. if you can't touch, that's fine. drop your leg down, twist the other direction, and raise your other leg to meet it's opposite elbow. do this as fast as you can for about 30 seconds

as for cardio, whatever keeps your heart rate up for at least half an hour every day. ride a bike, jog, wrestle with a dog/kid/sig. other...anything that pumps your heart up.

also, watch your diet. it's the standard things. stay away from processed foods, fast foods, soda...98% of the liquids you drink should be water. water's gooood. try to stay away from anything too salty. salt makes you bloated and will make your tummy look bigger

these are only some of the things you can do...i know there's a ton. try looking for vids on youtube? good luck!
    If you want to be happy, be. ~Leo Tolstoy

i'm on fb and xbox live; pm me if ya wanna be "friends"
    ^_^

Comment

I'd like to know, too! Every time I lose, the hips go first. I'm trying to figure how to add to them and take away my belly.
      "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Your body removes fat in a genetically determined order - you can't control that. However, you CAN control where you build muscle.

If you build posture muscles, your pouch-belly will sit more nicely. So anything that strengthens and builds the muscles between your ribcage and your pelvis - bellydance, situps, twist-situps: all the exercises that support your back and belly. Do the full set, ones that strengthen your back muscles as well as the belly muscles, or your posture will get kind of odd (too-strong belly, too-weak back isn't good for your spine).
        Bellydance is the most fun. Some forms of gymnastics also do the belly. Hula-hoops do. IIRC, Hawaiian and other polynesian dance forms are also great for the belly.

If you want to increase the size of your butt, walking, running, jogging, squats, stepups, anything that uses your butt and thigh muscles. And yes, some bellydance moves do that, too.

To tone but not bulk muscles, do lots of low-weight repetitions. To bulk muscles, do few reps at the highest weights you can.

So for a flat belly but muscle-bulky butt: a lot of hula hoop-ing, belly dance moves and the like; and squats at the highest weight you can handle.

This will NOT selectively remove the fat from your belly, but it will strengthen the muscles the fat is riding over and improve the tone; and (if you don't change how you eat) it will remove fat generally.

Edit to add: I also have a pouch belly. My husband and my wife both think it's cute. My general health is improving, so they see it as just a genetic thing and a legacy of my illnesses - a sign of what I've endured and beaten. I wish I could see it quite like that, but .. meh. It doesn't show when I wear clothes, and the people who DO see it like it, so I live with it.
        Last edited by Seshat; 09-09-2010, 05:27 AM.
        Seshat's self-help guide:
        1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
        2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
        3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
        4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

This, exactly.
          I'm trying to learn bellydance because I get too discouraged trying to walk around here. Sure, it's pretty country, but I hate walking outside by myself when hubbs is sleeping, and the treadmill is just too loud for me, I get a headache in 15 minutes and the highest speed I can go without getting all wheezy and passing out is the top of the turtle.
          However, I figured I have nice big hips, a long ribcage giving me an hourglass look, and a bit of a belly, so dancing will help all of that. The only problem is my legs, they are just so...meh.

I have an aunt that in high school got ripped abs, but forgot to build back muscles. Her back just collapsed one day from the stress. Totally wrecked her posture, threw the discs out of alignment, and she is still having problems. So, make sure to even out, wherever you are working out.
          Lucky for me, hubby thinks the little pouch belly I have is adorable. He says it makes him feel better about having his own gut pouch there.
          Oh wook at teh widdle babeh dwaggin! How cyuuute babeh dwag-AAAAAAAUUUGGGHHHH! *nom*
          http://jennovazombie.deviantart.com

Comment

Do leg movements in your bellydance as well, that will strengthen and tone your legs. Then they won't be 'meh' anymore.

DO note that strong legs don't normally fit into standard calf-height or thigh-height boots. For whatever reason, the designers of the boots like to make them for people with little calf muscle.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Sit/stand up straight.

Eat Activia. Keep that digestive system happy and clean. I've been wanting to take that Align suppliment, but it's very expensive.
              You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Yum, I love Activia

Been sitting up straighter at work, and tightening my abs whilst sitting at the desk.
                "Love what you do. If you haven't found it yet, keep looking, and don't settle" Steve Jobs

Comment

Unless you work out your entire body, your pudge will remain. You can't spot-reduce.

Quoth Seshat View Post
                  DO note that strong legs don't normally fit into standard calf-height or thigh-height boots. For whatever reason, the designers of the boots like to make them for people with little calf muscle.
                  models don't carry muscle

Quoth Food Lady View Post
                  I'd like to know, too! Every time I lose, the hips go first. I'm trying to figure how to add to them and take away my belly.
                  Heavy squats.
                  Thou shalt not take the name of thy goddess Whiskey in vain.

Comment

I hike, trust me, my whole body gets a workout on the trail (less than a month til the next adventure)

Comment

Quoth Cat View Post
                      I hike, trust me, my whole body gets a workout on the trail (less than a month til the next adventure)
                      what kind of sunscreen do you use? i got burnt biking today and i dont know what i should use/what spf
                      Thou shalt not take the name of thy goddess Whiskey in vain.

Comment

The highest SPF possible.

When you can afford it, high SPF sweat-wicking clothing, a broad-brimmed hat or a legionnaire's cap (the sort with an ear and neck protective 'cape' down the back), and sunglasses that protect as much of your range of vision as possible.

Clothing (other than sheer clothing) is always a higher SPF than sunscreen. Oh, and the sunglasses must have the 'actually protects against the sun' certification for your country. 'Fashion' sunglasses that are just tinted glass and not actually protective are no use.

Comment

Quoth Whiskey View Post
                          what kind of sunscreen do you use? i got burnt biking today and i dont know what i should use/what spf

In the mountains, usually about spf 50 (or whatever is on sale, ha). On my normal flatland hikes, I usually forget to put it on, I rarely get burned. Of course, I am usually in long sleeves and I never wear shorts. (The summer was hell for hiking)

Comment

This may sound somewhat weird, maybe even a bit insensitive or self indulging, but I've actually found it quite helpful since I've had issues with my weight for several months now. Well, issues with self image.

I can't remember what sparked it off, but it was something I read or watched about people with chronic illnesses, always at the doctor, paying out the wazoo for medications, so many restrictions on life in general. And then I felt like an absolute idiot for whining over a few extra pounds, because my tummy wasn't a washboard anymore. Because I wasn't "perfect" anymore.

Then we had our yearly open enrollment at work. Usually I don't even pay attention to anything other than how higher rates go up and benefits go down, but this year, I took note of just how many people had questions about their medications and doctors and coverage. It's outrageous and saddening just how bad some people have it.

I went home and looked in the mirror. I have a few extra pounds still refusing to budge my from my tummy, upper thighs, hips and butt. I'm not my perfect 120 pounds anymore. But I am more muscular than I was months ago. But I'm not overweight. In fact, my doctor even said that a few extra pounds aren't worth worrying over if you are healthy otherwise. It's only when you are actually considered overweight that it becomes a problem. It's just vanity.

I don't have a chronic illness. I don't have to take medications every day. I don't have any health restrictions or things I cannot do. I'm a healthy young adult. Why the hell am I whining and throwing fits and cutting myself down when I could have something really wrong with me, and I'd be wishing my only problem was having a few extra pounds?

I know, that sounds stupid. It was just my mini epiphany. But it has helped. Sometimes I do still cut down on myself, but I still think of that and quickly change my tune. I still want to call myself names and get mad and work out until I pass out, but I remember that I'm a healthy young adult. This is not a huge problem.

The best thing to do is make better choices regarding eating and staying active and healthy. Preventing problems for when you are older.
                            You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Very, very true blas. I just want to...teak, let's say. I have done very well keeping fit and healthy, just would like my core to be stronger.

I'll get up the mountains faster

(and why do I want to get up 'em faster? To go climb another one!)

Comment

Working...
                              X