Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2010 Christmas Card Exchange-Tally up!!!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth phantasy View Post
    Uhhh...If I signed up...and I live in Peru...and the postage is $1 to send a letter from the U.S. to here...would you guys beat me up? *hides in corner*
    Go for it! It'd be cool to get mail from there. We had several people in England last year and it's about $1 to send mail to there too, and it was fine.

Comment

I am so excited!! I can't wait to get mail from all over the world.

Oh, and I think what Amina did was genius. Sending them in 2 batches sounds like a plan. Saving money FTW!!
      "So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

Comment

Quoth phantasy View Post
        Uhhh...If I signed up...and I live in Peru...and the postage is $1 to send a letter from the U.S. to here...would you guys beat me up? *hides in corner*
        I doubt anyone would beat you up. You are the only person in Peru, after all. That's a new country, too, so cool . Most of the cards in the past have been from the US, followed by Canada/UK (usually about even, if I recall correctly), and a handful of others (South Africa, Australia/New Zealand, and I think the year before last there was a Czech Republic).

Quoth Parrothead View Post
        ...I could get a card from Peru?! YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!!!!!!!!!!

(Totally would be worth the buck IMHO)
        That's part of the fun. I used to work for an academic math publisher and I got stuff from all over the world, from various major universities and research centers (like Los Alamos). Foreign mail is cool.
        I don't go in for ancient wisdom
        I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
        It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Quoth phantasy View Post

I haven't signed up yet (I need to make sure that my landlady is OK with floods of holiday cheer under the door) but please guys, let me know if you plan on beating me up first..
          I send cards to England, South Africa and Australia. Sending cards to Peru ain't no thang.

I hope to get my cards out earlier this year than I did last year. I had to put off writing them because of my bout with the pig plague. Didn't want to unwittingly start an Osaka flu-esque pandemic.
          Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

If anyone wants to do a christmas card exchange with me, youll have to PM me your info for reasons not privy to the public
            Thou shalt not take the name of thy goddess Whiskey in vain.

Comment

Reminder: Only 42 days remain to sign up for the 2010 Christmas Card Exchange event!

So far, JuniorMintz, Peppergirl, BookstoreEscapee, Amina516, SteverinoNY, Pedersen, 42_42_42, Ree, TawnyMyst, Sonoma, fireheart17, Sarlon, Camry178, trailerparkmedic, idrinkarum, Elspeth, Becks, bookworm, smileyeagle1021, Irving Patrick Freleigh, Taboo, DGoddessChardonnay, Monica, Bandit, AriGriffin, Parrothead, ParkingWitch has joined.
              Automated Poster for the Pep Squad!

PM BookstoreEscapee, Pedersen, or one of the mods. I'm not real!

Comment

I just signed up. This will be my second year. It was fun getting all those cards.
                I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

It'll be fun getting cards from the US.
                  The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

I signed up as well. It should be fun.

Comment

I just signed up.

Correctly, this time.

I still feel bad for Pederson having to try to help me sign up for it last year.
                      I'm bringing disdain back...with a vengeance.

Oh, and your tool box called...you got out again.

Comment

I've taken the plunge an signed up....thankfully I have a post office nearby to help me figure out the international mail I haven't sent a letter overseas in years.

Should be fun....
                        https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
                        Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

When I sent mail to Peru from the U.S. all I had to do was to ask the post office for international stamps. You can use them to send mail to any country, and I only needed one $.94 stamp for a letter. Just stick it on there like a normal stamp, write somewhere on the envelope "AIR MAIL" and pop it in the mailbox, any mailbox will do.

OK! I just signed up! However, I think the address might come out weird, since the address fields are meant for U.S. addresses. If theres any confusion, please P.M. me and I'll type the address exactly as it should be written.

OH-EMM-GEE I'm so excited! Heeeee!!

*Goes off to buy christmas cards with llamas printed all over them*
                          Last edited by Peppergirl; 09-13-2010, 04:07 PM. Reason: Merged :)
                          Sucky Customers- Have the ability to convert non-drinkers into raging alcoholics in one phone call or less.

Comment

Quoth telecom_goddess View Post
                            I'm debating...I want to make sure I can accomodate 20 to 60 people lol. Does anyone have an idea of what the total postage would be?
                            FWIW, last year's list had 53 addresses. Of them 7 were outside the United States (3 Canadian, 3 UK, 1 RSA).
                            Are we talking like 50 bucks or more?
                            US postage for the first ounce (ample for a greeting card) is
                            $0.44 (domestic)
                            $0.75 (Canada)
                            $0.98 (Rest of the world)
                            Doing the math, postage comes to $25.97. Buy the cards in bulk-I've seen some for as little as a dime each.
                            Also what is a good timeline, especially with international considerations...is a good time to mail them around Thanksgiving? or more like beginning of December?
                            Around Thanksgiving is a good time for outside the US, Pearl Harbor Day for within the US (that's when I ususally ship gifts to my far-flung family).
                            I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?

Comment

Quoth taxguykarl View Post
                              FWIW, last year's list had 53 addresses. Of them 7 were outside the United States (3 Canadian, 3 UK, 1 RSA).
                              That's not much comfort to me . Sending a postcard from Denmark to USA is about $2 (10 DKR). Does anyone know of some cheaper way?

Comment

Quoth Monica View Post
                                I signed up. I look forward to this every year. Already have my cards. I bought them when they went on sale after Christmas last year, in anticipation for this year.
                                Ah yes, when the stores practically give them away. My wife buys a box or two every year from a CW. I put a dent in her storage box last year--the cards actually fit now.
                                Quoth Mikkel View Post
                                That's not much comfort to me . Sending a postcard from Denmark to USA is about $2 (10 DKR). Does anyone know of some cheaper way?
                                Hm...maybe ship the US cards in bulk to another CS'er to send those out. No, I have no idea what that would run.

Who is John Galt?

Comment

Working...
                                X