This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another sartorial trend I do not understand

So today, among the many people I saw roaming the swamp, was a young woman in blue jeans, a fairly heavy, warm fall/winter coat...and flip flops.

You're bundled up like it's the middle of January, and yet you're walking around as close to barefoot as you can without being thrown out. Seriously, are you the human version of a McDLT and your cold side is everything from the ankles down? Me, if I've got to wear anything heavier than a sweatshirt or light fleece out, I'm wearing socks and normal shoes too--socks and sandals are no...just no.

There's got to be something I'm not understanding. Somebody please enlighten me.
    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Well, she might have some mental issues. We had someone used to come into Kinkos that always was bundled up in a sweat suit, wool gloves, and a hat.

It could be, no lie, 106 degrees outside with high humidity.

She was a germaphobe. I guess that was to protect her from the environment, but I don't know how she didn't die of hyperthermia.

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
      So today, among the many people I saw roaming the swamp, was a young woman in blue jeans, a fairly heavy, warm fall/winter coat...and flip flops.
      I do this. My feet just don't get cold. I grew up in the country so my feet are used to ridiculous amounts of abuse and temperatures. I wore flip flops all last (granted, California) winter while in a heavy hoodie and jeans. vv

Quoth RecoveringKinkoid View Post
      Well, she might have some mental issues. .
      huff.
      Thou shalt not take the name of thy goddess Whiskey in vain.

Comment

I do this in the fall. I wear hoodies and jeans and...flip-flops.

I get made fun of for it ALL the time, and rightfully so. I love flip-flops and I LOVE hoodies, and I can never decide.
        "So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

Comment

My cousin's son (he's 12) wears sandals all the time...but he has a skin condition that causes his skin to blister very easily (it's genetic - my cousin has it too - and can be severe but luckily it only affects his feet). But if it's cold he wears socks and if it's really cold or wet weather he wears real shoes.
          I don't go in for ancient wisdom
          I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
          It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

It's also a college thing. Every. single. college. girl. wears hoodies, sweat pants and flip flops. And the meatball bun of hair on top of the head.

I hate flip flops. I'm sure I'll get a lot of flack for that comment.

Comment

I guess it's the opposite of short skirts with Ugg boots...

Comment

Quoth malmalthekiller View Post
                It's also a college thing. Every. single. college. girl. wears hoodies, sweat pants and flip flops. And the meatball bun of hair on top of the head.

I hate flip flops. I'm sure I'll get a lot of flack for that comment.
                I think I'm having a 'turning 40' crisis, because that sounds like a fairly accurate description of me on most days.

And no flack here..diff'rent strokes, and all that.
                "So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

Comment

I hate closed toed shoes. I'm forced to wear them 5-6 days a week. When I get a chance, I'm putting on flip flops. As long as it's not snowing, I'm wearing them, or heels or platform sandals.
                  You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

I mostly wear sneakers or loafer-type shoes with about a 2 inch heel.

If I'm home I'm usually not wearing any shoes. Socks depend on how hot my apartment is.

Comment

Quoth blas View Post
                      I hate closed toed shoes. I'm forced to wear them 5-6 days a week. When I get a chance, I'm putting on flip flops. As long as it's not snowing, I'm wearing them, or heels or platform sandals.
                      Hence, why I refer to you as my daughter occasionally.

Comment

Hence why I think I was taken by the wrong parents lol My mom is always asking why in October I still have flip flops on. I have cute tootsies, why cover them up with smelly socks and smelly shoes?
                        You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

There are several possibilities for this. The most obvious two are:

Quoth Whiskey View Post
                          My feet just don't get cold.
                          1. She is the opposite of me, and her feet, like Whiskey's, don't get as cold as the rest of her body. Me, my feet get cold way too easily. In the movie theater, for example, I'll be fine in a t-shirt and shorts....but I HAVE to wear socks and sneakers, even if I was wearing sandals outside. And fairly often, even if I sleep in the nude, I need to have socks on. I HATE having cold feet.

2. It's a fashion statement that has nothing to do with her comfort. "But who would do something dumb like that?" Have you never seen anyone, in a cold-weather area, in the winter, where everyone is freezing, and this person is bundled up like a sherpa....and wearing a mini-skirt and heels? Maybe it's because I'm a guy, maybe it's because I hate cold, maybe because when it's colder outside than it is in my refrigerator I really don't want icy wind air conditioning my crotch, but I just DON'T understand this at all.....and it's fairly common.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                          Still A Customer."

Comment

I saw a girl once in Mid january in a TANK TOP and gloves. Yes, this is what she wore to school. I dont know how her mother let her leave the house like that, nor how I held back the strangling motions my hand immediately started to make.

Comment

Quoth malmalthekiller View Post
                              "Not I!" says this college girl.

I hate that bulb look that girls wear on top of their hair! Even when I had my super long hair, I wore a pony tail or a nice bun where a bun should be. I also don't wear sweatpants (unless it's Finals Week). My usual outfit is a pair of jeans, a t-shirt, and tennis shoes. Sometimes, I will wear a pair of khaki pants, a nice shirt, and some flats.
                              "Kill the fat guy first?! That's racist!" - my friend Ironside at a Belegarth practice after being "killed" first.

I belly dance with tall Goblins!

Comment

Working...
                              X