This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fun with food!

I've been growing a habanero bush since February, and I've been blessed with a truly amazing crop this season. I've given away about a dozen since the start and still had almost twenty left on the bush after the really big growth spurt. I picked up a dehydrator and a canner so I could preserve some pepper chow chow and dry up the leftovers. It was a pretty fun weekend, that one... I didn't take off the latex glove cuz of the crap-your-pants fear. Handling a few dozen of the orange devils will do that.

I'm going to have just enough peppers left over to make some habanero honey. It'll take six months to sit, but I hear it's amazing as a glaze on meats. I'll let you guys know in '11.

The chow chow came out pretty good. I had enough to can three pint mason jars and just enough left over to fill half of another (got to enjoy that one on all my sammiches and salsa snacks that week)! It's simultaneously really sweet and really spicy. You get both sensations pretty quickly.

So now, I have two toys to play with: a really nice Nesco 700W dehydrator, and a canner with about two dozen pint jars left over. I'm having way more fun than I should with both of those. I'm getting the hang of cleaning off the fat and cartilage from round steak, and now my marinated jerky batches are coming out excellent. I marinate my meat in two batches: half my meat in a teriaki and sesame seed sauce, the other in italian dressing, and all of it coated with red curry powder. Though I haven't quite gotten the hang of storage...they seem to get moist when I keep them in an air tight container. Good thing they don't last long enough for that to be a problem.

The canner is a beast of a different color. I find myself making lots of salsa with some of the dried peppers, though the longer the salsa sits the more the heat from the capsaicin dissipates. I wonder if the acid from the tomatoes is counteracting the base of the capsaicinoids. I'm experimenting with spices for now, so I'm going to be having a lot of fun with this. I'll get to can some preserves next spring if my strawberries come through. Now I just gotta figure out what else I can make and can up.

I may be just a wannabe foodie, but I think I did good.
    Last edited by Bronzebow; 09-13-2010, 05:00 PM.

Those sound quite yummy! I like habanero, but they're too spicy for me (I like the flavour though!)

Comment

Nom nom nom.

- for the problem of
      they seem to get moist when I keep them in an air tight container
      try keeping a few of those little packets that stop oxidization in pill bottles and dried food packages.

If you want something else to try with your kitcheny funness I've had (wish I had the recipe) Jalepeno Jelly, kindof a spicy mint jelly affair and sooo good in sammiches

grats on the success with growing those things
      It's a tough row to hoe, and I'm just the Joe to hoe it.

Comment

Quoth TheMike View Post
        - for the problem of .... try keeping a few of those little packets that stop oxidization in pill bottles and dried food packages.
        Ooo, good idea. Can I get those at the store, or can I reuse the ones that I find in dried food bags? I don't remember seeing the packets just hanging out on store shelves. Thanks!

Magpie, that's one thing I've heard about the habanero honey. The honey is supposed to pick up some of the heat, but the sweet bell pepper taste infuses too. Cut up a few of them and mix with honey, let sit for a few months. Google-fuu can get you a few recipes.

Comment

Actually that's one of the reasons that I'm fond of habenaro jelly. The sweetness cuts the heat a fair bit, and since the traditional way to eat it is with cream cheese...

Comment

I'd sell my soul for some habanero peppers for when I make chili.
            I'm bringing disdain back...with a vengeance.

Oh, and your tool box called...you got out again.

Comment

Quoth Bronzebow View Post
              I find myself making lots of salsa with some of the dried peppers...
              Try using fresh peppers in your salsa. It makes salsa so much better!

Quoth Bella_Vixen View Post
              I'd sell my soul for some habanero peppers for when I make chili.
              Do none of your local grocery stores stock habaneros?

Hell, for my next chili cookoff, not only will I make my normal chili, but for the "hot" category, I am going to make a scorcher, using not only habaneros, chipotles, and serranos, but even ghost peppers. (If you're not familiar with ghost peppers, they are only about three times as hot as habaneros....)

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
              Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                Do none of your local grocery stores stock habaneros?
                The store we work at brags about the high quality produce we sell.

Sure, if you like it wrinkled like your grandma's grandma.
                Unseen but seeing
                oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                3rd shift needs love, too
                RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth Becks View Post
                  The store we work at brags about the high quality produce we sell.

Sure, if you like it wrinkled like your grandma's grandma.
                  This whole experience has turned me off to store bought, out of season peppers. That bush is my first real experience with growing my own food. My coworker grew serrano peppers and we traded a few times; talk about a summer of hot, tasty food! Now that I've seen what peppers are supposed to look like, the store ones look so small and unappetizing.

That is the main reason I got the dehydrator in the first place. I can space out my supply to last till at least mid winter.

Comment

Another dehydrator trick: colored miniature marshmallows, spread out at about 50% coverage on the shelf... we call them farts...
                    I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                    Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                    Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Working...
                    X