This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying New Foods

I have decided to try new fruits and vegetables rather than sticking with the same old things I always eat.

Yay! I just ate a fig for the first time.It wasn't like I imagined, but it tasted ok, I would eat another one.

Apparently you can cook with them,does anyone know how (I mean, in chicken or fish dishes)?
    Customer "why did you answer the phone if you can't help me?"

apparently they go pretty good w/ pork. I've seen a few recipes - just use your google-fu!
    I am well versed in the "gentle" art of verbal self-defense

Once is an accident; Twice is coincidence; Thrice is a pattern.

http://www.gofundme.com/treasurenathanwedding

Comment

Quoth Treasure View Post
      apparently they go pretty good w/ pork. I've seen a few recipes - just use your google-fu!
      Thanks, I looked on google but a lot of the recipes I saw were for desserts - fruit cockTail type dishes, not for main courses with meat,I will keep searching though.
      Customer "why did you answer the phone if you can't help me?"

Comment

Figs pair really well with honey and feta, from what I've seen on Cooking Channel. I was watching...I forget what it was. But they took some really thick slices of feta, wrapped them in phyllo dough, deep fried them, and topped them with honey and fig pieces. You could probably make a deconstructed version of that by making into a crostini.

Beyond that, though, I'd recommend browsing through websites like the Food Network website and Recipezaar.
        "Things that fail to kill me make me level up." ~ NateWantsToBattle, Training Hard (Counting Stars parody)

Comment

Have you ever had fresh apricots? They're yummy.
          I don't go in for ancient wisdom
          I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
          It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

epicurious.com is a great site for recipes. it pulls its recipes from Bon Appetit magazine and other of the similar sort.

I tend to just cook with whatever is in season, as its the cheapest. I might make some kind of pear glaze since theyre on sale right now. Definitely try epicurious out (you dont have to join)

I have nothing for figs that wouldnt be a desert.

edit: fig, sausage, goat cheese pizza. Go. Theres a number of dinner recipes on epi with figs in them.
            Last edited by Whiskey; 09-15-2010, 01:49 AM.
            Thou shalt not take the name of thy goddess Whiskey in vain.

Comment

I don't have any fig recipes either sorry. Have you tried blood oranges? They're delicious! Also, fresh apricots and nectarines *drools*
              Don't tempt pixies, it never ends well.

Avatar created by the lovely Eisa.

Comment

well, what fruits and vegetables do you usually eat?
                You're in the UK, right? I seem to recall that currants and lingenberries are over there in Euro-land, of which I am extremely envious. Granted, I live in the state of HUCKLEBERRIES ( ). Sugar snap peas are pretty good, as are green beans, and I particularly like cauliflower.
                I don't know about your avocado access, but avocadoes are an experience. They are buttery and distinctive, but don't have a pungent or strong flavor (ie like onions or garlic).
                (yet another) EDIT: make sure you are getting these new bundles of experiences correctly, ask someone who's had them before what ripeness should be, if this bit of fruit tastes as a typical specimen, the like-- because if you get an unripe piece of fruit, it often tastes poorly compared to the ripe version of it.
                Also, pineapple.
                Last edited by teh_blumchenkinder; 09-15-2010, 01:58 AM.
                "Is it the lie that keeps you sane? Is this the lie that keeps you sane?What is it?Can it be?Ought it to exist?"
                "...and may it be that I cleave to the ugly truth, rather than the beautiful lie..."

Comment

I stuff chicken breasts with a mixture of chopped almonds and/or pistachios, chopped, dried figs, plums, dates, and apricots.
                  Don't wanna; not gonna.

Comment

you can use figs almost anywhere you'd use raisins or other dried fruit, in curries or stuffing or this one BBQ sauce I once made -g'damt where's my recipe book gone?
                    It's a tough row to hoe, and I'm just the Joe to hoe it.

Comment

Quoth Mishi View Post
                      I don't have any fig recipes either sorry. Have you tried blood oranges? They're delicious! Also, fresh apricots and nectarines *drools*
                      Blood oranges!!!! They are sooo good, almost a bittersweet. Hard to describe. I have only seen/eaten them one time ever, at only one grocery store. Never saw them again.
                      "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
                        Blood oranges!!!! They are sooo good, almost a bittersweet. Hard to describe. I have only seen/eaten them one time ever, at only one grocery store. Never saw them again.
                        They're in season here for the next month or so, but I've only ever found them in one store and I eagerly anticipate their arrival each year. I don't normally like oranges, but I recommend them to everyone!
                        Don't tempt pixies, it never ends well.

Avatar created by the lovely Eisa.

Comment

Working...
                        X