This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fireplace Safety

So, in my new apartment is this bitchin' wood fireplace. It works, its not just a decoration. I've had fireplaces in apartments previous, but never used them for whatever reason. Well, since California loves extremely high electric rates, I figure I'll use the fireplace in stead to heat my little apartment.

The problem is I'm paranoid as hell. Well, thats not necessarily a problem here, but I digress. I need to know proper fireplace safety. It has one of those hanging chain grates to keep the fire in(??). I know I'm supposed to use a certain kind of wood, but thats as far as my fireplace knowledge goes. I would really prefer not to burn my building down this winter.

Also, if raps could tell me where he got his bear skin rug i would appreciate it
    Thou shalt not take the name of thy goddess Whiskey in vain.

I thought Raps was a bearskin rug.
    I don't go in for ancient wisdom
    I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
    It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

There are I think three main hazards of a standard fireplace:

1) Blocked chimney, so smoke/flame/monoxide comes back into the room. A chimney that is heavily coated with soot may also catch fire occasionally.

2) Burning fuel falling off the grate and into the room.

3) Sparks flying - a particular problem with wood.

The solution to problem 1 is to have the chimney cleaned occasionally. You can test for blockage by lighting a very small, shortlived fire (newspaper will do) and watching where the smoke goes.

To combat both 2 and 3, you need something sturdy and spark-resistant between the fire and *anything* flammable in the room (eg. carpet) at all times. I don't think the chain curtains in that photo will be enough to stop fuel that wants to fall out, though they will probably stop sparks if they are kept drawn across. A free-standing fireguard will be better.

Comment

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
        I thought Raps was a bearskin rug.
        oh well this just got awkward

Comment

Check with the landlord if there are any rules on the fireplace usage?

They should be able to tell you when it was last cleaned, too.
          I don't go in for ancient wisdom
          I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
          It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Quoth Chromatix View Post
            A free-standing fireguard will be better.
            I look into one of these. Does it help that theres about a foot of tile in front of the fire place? Here's a picture from when I moved in.

Comment

Don't stick your arm in the fire. It hurts.
              "I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone, that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - House

Comment

Quoth Greenday View Post
                Don't stick your arm in the fire. It hurts.
                but i was told all the cool kids put their arms in the fire i want to be cool too

what do i do if i want roasted marshmallows, huh?!

Comment

Clean chimney, open flu, and dry wood. Those are about the best preventors of nastyness happening. Also, make sure the damned thing is OUT before you go to sleep.

Comment

Pine and similar woods are the worst for creosote, which will cause chimney fires. My dad has an indoor woodstove, and we use dry aged (2 years since cut) wood, oak and maple. Also, get a fire tools set. It has an ash shovel, broom, fire poker (for moving logs) and a stand. Even if you never use it for the fire, it's a great home defense toolkit.

One bad thing about woodstoves/fireplaces indoors=woodroaches. Nasty little bugs, the cats might like them though.
                    Oh wook at teh widdle babeh dwaggin! How cyuuute babeh dwag-AAAAAAAUUUGGGHHHH! *nom*
                    http://jennovazombie.deviantart.com

Comment

Quoth zombiequeen View Post
                      One bad thing about woodstoves/fireplaces indoors=woodroaches. Nasty little bugs, the cats might like them though.
                      my cats would love it if my apartment had bugs. They go insane everytime a fly gets in the house. Where would i get.. wood? Like do you buy it? Do I go to lowes and ask for dry oak/maple wood?

I literally have no idea here, guys.

Comment

I would ask at a lumberyard, maybe. Here in Michigan there are people all over the place selling wood on the side of the road and such, but of course, we have like eleventy feet of snow every year. I would look for woodcutters, like maybe landscaping places? Perhaps check the classifieds. OR, maybe camping places sell wood. Campfire wood is normally cut small enough for a fireplace, when we get wood from the cutters, it's big logs that we have to split.
                        Oh wook at teh widdle babeh dwaggin! How cyuuute babeh dwag-AAAAAAAUUUGGGHHHH! *nom*

Comment

If you go to a lumber yard, make sure it isn't treated lumber. Here in San Antonio, you can pick up cords (yes that is the unit of measurement they are sold by) of fireplace wood at the gas station, the downside, is that they are seasonal items. Alternatively grocery stores should be having quick start logs on sale soon too.

Comment

I was just thinking that wolfie...
                            So aged, untreated wood, in oak or maple.
                            I just talked to my dad, and he said that oak is the best. Aged or "seasoned" is the best, you can tell because seasoned wood is cracked and split on the ends.
                            Get a bundle from the gas station/camp store, (a cord is 4'x4'x8' so it would be too big) and get a glass screen for your fireplace, to keep the sparks contained/kitties out. A few bundles should be enough to keep you warm during the winter, if you burn like three logs a day.
                            He said that the lumber store would probably sell pine, which burns too hot and is dangerous to burn inside. But they might know where to get the wood you need, just make sure to tell them you need seasoned/aged oak wood for an indoor fireplace.
                            If you can, get some chimney sweeping logs to burn every few months. They'll clean out the chimney and keep the risk of uncontained fire down.
                            I hope this helps, if you need more information please let me know and I'll ask my dad.

Comment

Quoth zombiequeen View Post
                              (a cord is 4'x4'x8' so it would be too big)
                              that's what i get for not doing the research and only assuming, thanks for the info zq

Comment

Working...
                              X