This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taking the plunge..

My father in law gave my wife a .38 special for Christmas last year (she had been thinking about getting a gun for self defense and home protection). She's also been wanting to get her concealed weapons permit because of it 9and the CWP becomes a full gun license in many states).

There's a gun show tomorrow and she decided to get her CWP at the show ($45 for the course, $160 to the state for the license).

She asked me and I decided to go and also get mine. While I don't care for guns, I do admit it's not a bad idea to have one and be trained on safety (and that's most of the course). $205 is worth it.

She was on the phone telling her father about it and apparently when I get it he'll give me one of his guns, I guess it's a hand gun that fires .45 rounds as well as shot gun shells??

(I was thinking MAYBE getting a .22 rifle sometime, but something like that??).
    Quote Dalesys:
    ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Quoth draggar View Post
    I guess it's a hand gun that fires .45 rounds as well as shot gun shells??
    So, a Repro. LeMat Revolver? (9 shot .44 calibre with a 16-gauge 'surprise' under the barrel)

Can't think of any other handgun that fires both 44/45 calibre pistol rounds and buckshot.

Comment

Quoth draggar View Post
      I guess it's a hand gun that fires .45 rounds as well as shot gun shells??
      You mean like a Judge which can fire either out of the same barrel or like a LaMat (not sure if there are any modern versions) which has a separate barrel for a single shotgun shell? Either way you would have an unusual gun.

Comment

Sounds like the Judge - .45ACP or .410 shot shell.

If you have a gun in the house, take the course and know how to use it properly. Having the CWP will be a plus.

Good luck and have fun.

Comment

Quoth draggar View Post
          She was on the phone telling her father about it and apparently when I get it he'll give me one of his guns, I guess it's a hand gun that fires .45 rounds as well as shot gun shells??
          that would be the taurus judge-very good for home protection-I actually want one-badly-you load all but the last two chambers(it is a revolver) with .410 shotgun shells for knockdown and the final two chambers you load with .45 slugs in case the shotgun shells weren't enough.
          Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

Yep - it's "The Judge" that he's going to give me.

I'd like to get a .22 rifle and/or handgun for practice, though. (and I know I'll need plenty of it! Bass Pro shops has a gun range).
            Last edited by draggar; 09-19-2010, 01:57 AM.
            Quote Dalesys:

Comment

gun locks please if you have kids. thanks

and peace.
              Last edited by RecoveringKinkoid; 09-21-2010, 12:50 AM.

Comment

Quoth SharonsBitch View Post
                gun locks please if you have kids. thanks
                Only 4 legged furry (or 2 legged and feathered) kids.

But - I was going to consider them while they're in transport, and storage (for the .22's).

Are there any suggestions for an inexpensive .22 (rifle or revolver)? At Bass Pro they start at $150 (Marlin) and go up to $700 (Winchester). A friend of mine suggested a Ruger.
                Last edited by draggar; 09-19-2010, 01:07 PM.
                Quote Dalesys:

Comment

Ruger is one of the big ones for .22, I grew up shooting a Ruger Mark II, but that's a semi auto. I've shot plenty and for plinking they are all about the same when it comes to revolvers. If possible, stick to one as similar to your protection pistol as possible. If you want to go hunting with one, then invest money into it. I'd also look into a good gun case (not safe). It should have a desiccant in it and you can transport with it. I have a few Pelican cases, but I also have somewhat expensive guns. A regular hard sided case should be good for you, and they can take a padlock.

Comment

I've got a Taurus .22 LR 9 round revolver for most of my target practice.

I also have this
                    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colt_Diamondback

It was my grandpa's. He used it when he was a security guard back in the 1970's. It is a fun gun to shoot. The only problem is that the .38 special ammo is expensive. That's why I mostly use the .22.
                    "Life is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid" Redd Foxx as Al Royal - The Royal Family - Pilot Episode - 1991.

Comment

Great site for info about guns of all kinds: http://www.ar15.com/
                      Don't wanna; not gonna.

Comment

I got my CWP in the mail today!

My wife has to re-do her fingerprints for hers, I think she's disappointed that mine came in first.
                        Quote Dalesys:

Comment

I got my Concealed Carry Permit a few months back and it was pretty easy. Pennsylvania apparently doesn't have too much in the way of requirements. You basically go, fill out the application, they do a background check on you and if everything is cool you go pick it up after about 5 days. Pennsylvania also has unliscensed open carry which means you don't need any sort of permit to wear a gun openly and visible. That doesn't mean you won't get hassled by cops now and then though

I own a .40 Glock 22, a Taraus PT1911 and a Stag Arms AR15 model rifle.

Comment

Quoth SharonsBitch View Post
                            gun locks please if you have kids.
                            I disagree, most gun locks make a gun more dangerous, not less. A gun with a trigger lock is more likely to fire if dropped, for instance.

There's also this to consider... http://www.scottbieser.com/gun_lock_safety.html

If there are kids in the house, the only security method I would recommend for your defense weapon is: http://www.gunvault.com/

Comment

Shutting this one down. Some of the comments and additional links were WAY over the line into fratching.

Take it over to Fratch if you want to continue.
                              "So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

Comment

Working...
                              X