This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quoth fireheart17 View Post
    Trick with getting the claws clipped, sometimes they might kick up a fuss if you try to trim their front ones-I know our two do. So we get around it by wrapping them in a towel.
    And the towel survives? Let alone the one holding the towel wrapped kitty?
    I AM the evil bastard!
    A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

• We've had to do the towel wrapping before to medicate a cat before...think cat burrito with the paws bound up and the head being the only thing out. Worked well for giving drops for ear mites...

As for doing it with one paw out to trim claws, it should work...the back paws are again bound up which prevents both bolting and rabbit-footing. Just be very damn sure not to cut into the quick...you'll never be able to get them wrapped up again if it's actively painful rather than merely annoying and unpleasant.
      "English is the result of Norman men-at-arms attempting to pick up Saxon barmaids and is no more legitimate than any of the other results."
      - H. Beam Piper

Comment

• I was very lucky with it. He simply stood there, got bored, and told me he was ready to leave (by trying to scale Mt. Shoulderhorn). Mind you, I didn't let him do so until we were done, but that was it.

Today was disconcerting, though. He went to bed last night maybe a bit on the lazy side. He'd had his distemper shot, and then a bath (around 8pm), and finally, right before bed, he was dry enough to put the flea/tick stuff between his shoulders (vet prescribed some Revolution for us). I used that.

This morning, he was acting all kinds of funky. When he walked, he was watching his paws carefully, like he was worried about them actually hitting the ground. He wouldn't bat at my hands. When he wasn't doing that, it was laying about listlessly. Even seeing me come over, which would have had him bouncing practically, didn't even have him moving his head. I was having visions of what happens with Hartz flea and tick stuff.

Called the vet, they told me to bring him in. Visions now are worse, of course. Got to the vet, got taken in, he got checked up. In the end, it's just the normal reaction to a vaccine. Nothing bad.

But not knowing what to expect? Yeah, it was more than a little stressful.

Comment

• Quoth Pedersen View Post
          That is the scariest thing to me. I'm glad Storm is ok.

Comment

• Quoth lordlundar View Post
            Mum usually holds them when that happens. Because she's the one who feeds them they don't wind up kicking up too much of a fuss.

On the othe hand, if my dad picks up our youngest fuzzball, there's no problem. When he goes to pick up older fuzzball however, older fuzzball will meow repeatedly and start struggling.

I also have both cats trying to scale Mt. Shoulderhorn and usually getting comfy on my back. I often end up transferring them over to Mt. Tablest or Mt. Couchiosko. (that's meant to be Mt. Everest or Mt. Kozsiosko (sp?) btw-the latter is the highest mountain in Ausland)
            The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

• I've just stumbled across this post, and it was kinda fun reading the whole journey through from when you found him, declaring you were not a cat person, to how the situation is now.
              Cats train humans, and they are very good at it

I wasn't a cat person either, but when my mum brought 2 kittens home, one waddled over to me and bit my toes... changed everything lol

Good luck with everything.

BTW, I'm not sure if you still have your ferret food, but my cats love it in small doses, the high protein levels make for good nibbles

Comment

• Quoth lordlundar View Post
                If you do the wrapping up properly. Towels are kitty's kryptonite.

Comment

• Quoth RestaurantDude View Post
                  If you do the wrapping up properly. Towels are kitty's kryptonite.

Purrito! (Kitty burrito)

by the way, Mt. Shoulderhorn made me giggle
                  I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                  I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                  It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

• It starts with one kitten... Then it becomes 3. Next thing you know, you've got 5.

You have been inducted

Small word of warning - You may soon find a kitten/cat in your laundry Sherbert and Puddin(Henceforth referred to, collectively, as the Wonder Twins, as they're brother/sister, both blonde, but different otherwise physically... Like the Wonder Twins from Super Friends ) love laundry - Puddin prefers dirty laundry, since it still smells strongly like us... Sherbert doesn't care. Right now, they're both sleeping on the back of the sofa.

You've noticed it already, but they can get very... Demanding of love Sugar puts herself in my way, Bruce will walk back and forth across my lap... And then I'll come across Tex and he just wants a light petting.

On an earlier posting about kitties in odd places - When we got our second fridge, Sherbert decided it made a great place to sleep while we were airing it out(Got it on Freecycle)... And then later on, he decided the dryer was a great place to pop into(Remember what I said about laundry?). Didn't know he was there until I turned it on... "*Thump* WTF? *Thump* What IS that? *Thump* -Opens the dryer-" Lo, there he was, sitting up like "OMGWTF?!" Never jumped in the dryer again, incidentally...

When little Storm gets older, watch out for another thing... He might do like Sherbert, and demand under the blankets with you. Only cat that does it, the rest are content to sleep on something else, or on top of the blankets...
                    Last edited by ThirdGenRetail; 10-30-2010, 02:47 AM. Reason: Fixed an emote
                    Look, a signature!

If every cashier in the world went on strike, retail would come to a screeching halt, even if for a couple hours.

Comment

• Quoth Pedersen View Post
                      Today was disconcerting, though. He went to bed last night maybe a bit on the lazy side. He'd had his distemper shot, and then a bath (around 8pm), and finally, right before bed, he was dry enough to put the flea/tick stuff between his shoulders (vet prescribed some Revolution for us). I used that.

This morning, he was acting all kinds of funky. When he walked, he was watching his paws carefully, like he was worried about them actually hitting the ground. He wouldn't bat at my hands. When he wasn't doing that, it was laying about listlessly. Even seeing me come over, which would have had him bouncing practically, didn't even have him moving his head. I was having visions of what happens with Hartz flea and tick stuff.

Called the vet, they told me to bring him in. Visions now are worse, of course. Got to the vet, got taken in, he got checked up. In the end, it's just the normal reaction to a vaccine. Nothing bad.

Congrats on your new baby - he's adorable.

Casey had a reaction to some Advantage one time. He'd had it before, and had been fine, but the last time he was acting like his equilibrium was all off.

When it came time to treat for fleas this year, I got him more Revolution, which has worked great for him in the past...in fact, I have to treat him again in a few days.
                      That is so full of suck Dyson doesn't know how they did it - shankyknitter

Comment

Working...
                      X