This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I had to put my cat to sleep

I am so sad right now and can't stop crying.

I had to put my cat to sleep today because he had cancer.

He got sick in May with what the vet thought was a simple sore under his tongue. He gave him medicine but it never really got better. I noticed weight loss and took him back today. The vet said it looks like it was cancer as there was yellow bumps in his mouth and it progressed very fast.

He suggested letting him go now as he will not get better. So I said my goodbyes to him as long as I good and he will be cremated.

He was a member of my family for 15 years after I found him on my door as a kitten.

I will miss the way he waited for me every day after work and how he followed me into every room.

I have been crying so much I feel sick and my head hurts. But at least he is no longer in pain.

Nobody in my family cares or understands and I just feel alone

oh JLG.Nothing I can say will make it any easier for you, except to say that I've been there with my beloved cats three times and I know how that feels.
    Customer "why did you answer the phone if you can't help me?"

Comment

I am so sorry for your loss. I lost a beloved cat of mine in February (also cancer) so I can relate.
      ~~ Every politician that opens their mouth on birth control only proves that we need more of it. ~~

Comment

I lost my cat last october. I know how you feel. I'm really sorry sweetheart.

Comment

Awww, I'm so sorry!
          I'm here if you want to talk about him.
          I know how it is to lose a pet that is very close.
          Oh wook at teh widdle babeh dwaggin! How cyuuute babeh dwag-AAAAAAAUUUGGGHHHH! *nom*
          http://jennovazombie.deviantart.com

Comment

I am very sorry for your loss. I understand where you are right now
            Coffee should be strong, black and chewy! It should strip paint and frighten small children.

My blog Darkwynd's Musings

Comment

I'm very sorry for your loss. I'm really dreading when one of our cats' time comes...the oldest is going to be 13...hopefully he still has many years left with us.

*cuddles one of her kitties and offers one to JLG to cuddle*

Comment

JLG, I'm at the other end of this story right now. A new kitten showed up at my door two nights ago. I'm pretty sure he doesn't have any other family.

I've lost pets, too many of them. Dogs, rats, even a ferret. It hurts. I don't know of a way to soothe that hurt. When I lost Ralph (sweetest, kindest rat I ever knew), I cried. Tried to put a good face on, but it didn't hold up very well. Losing him made it hard for me to bond to any other rats.

I guess, in my babbling, I'm trying to say I understand how you feel. That wound that just seems to be too great to ever heal. For me, all I could do was focus on the years I had, and the hope that the Rainbow Bridge is real. I still hope.

If it is, they're all going to be there. Including the new little fuzzball of my own, eventually.

Until I get to see them all again, I'm going to miss them terribly, just like you. If you can, I'd like to hear about what happened for you. When you're ready.
                Last edited by Pedersen; 09-24-2010, 08:32 PM.

Comment

I know it hurts to let a beloved pet go. For what it's worth, I think you made the right decision. You loved him enough to spare him possibly months or years of suffering.
                  You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

I am so, so sorry. I know what it's like to have a furry family member for that long.

When we had to put McGriff to sleep (he was with us for almost 20 years), we all decided that we didn't want him to go through any more procedures that had a high chance of not doing much. Even the vet said that any treatment for the heart failure would result in more pain for him and might not even work.
                    "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                    "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

*snugs hard*

Comment

I'm so sorry

I had to put Kitty to sleep back in 2007. I'd had him since he was a kitten. He was really my late grandmother's cat. But, after she sold the farm, I brought him home. He lived with me roughly a year, until he developed fluid in his lungs. The vet said that he could have an operation to remove it...but there was no guarantee it wouldn't return. I simply couldn't bear to put him through more pain, or to have him suffer. So, after 12 years of happy kitty fun, I chose to put him down

It seemed strange not having a cat around, so I brought home Snow from the shelter. She was very sweet and playful, but nobody wanted her because she was deaf. Sadly, she died of a heart attack in my kitchen 6 months later

That's when I adopted my current kitties...Sally and Baxter. They're passing along lots of hugs and kitty thoughts.
                        Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Quoth Dreamstalker View Post
                          any treatment <snippage> would result in more pain for him and might not even work.

That's my bottom line, too.

It's very, very hard to put a treasured pet to sleep. But when the pain exceeds the quality of life, it's the last gift you can give.
                          Seshat's self-help guide:
                          1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                          2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                          3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                          4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

I am very sorry for your loss.
                            "Kamala the Ugandan Giant" 1950-2020 • "Bullet" Bob Armstrong 1939-2020 • "Road Warrior Animal" 1960-2020 • "Zeus" Tiny Lister Jr. 1958-2020 • "Hacksaw" Butch Reed 1954-2021 • "New Jack" Jerome Young 1963-2021 • "Mr. Wonderful" Paul Orndorff 1949-2021 • "Beautiful" Bobby Eaton 1958-2021 • Daffney 1975-2021

Comment

Thank you everyone for your kind words.

It is of course still very hard. I cried all day that my head still hurts and my eyes are so puffy.

It is going to be a difficult day at work. I am just glad that I will be in the cash office today so that means I will not have to be out on the floor.

I usually don't do the cash office as I am trained only for back up. I originally was supposed to be closing M.O.D but the cash office person called out for all week because she is really sick. The opening M.O.D doesn't know cash office very well so on Thursday he asked if I would switch so I can do it. So at least now I will be sitting in an office and not having to be out on the floor putting on a happy face.

I have had friends call and family but as soon as I start to answer their questions I cry. So I stopped answering my phone and just when I think I can't cry anymore it starts all over again.

Comment

Working...
                              X