This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cars, Batteries, and Magic Smoke

Okay, so I've got a right mess on my hands. And if the cause turns out to be what I think it is, I will never again try to install an aftermarket stereo in any vehicle I own ever again. It either works from the dealer, or it doesn't work at all.

So, a couple weeks ago, we were shopping. I saw an uber cheap car stereo ($50, has an aux in, and usb power out), so I bought it. Read the installation manual, bought the universal wiring harness adapter, attached every wire, plugged everything in. And the damned thing would not turn on.

I tried everything I could think of. Reconnected wires, etc. Tested continuity with my multimeter. No joy. The damned thing would not turn on. So, I attached the original unit, only to find that it, too, would not turn on. I don't mean that it would display some sort of theft lock or anything. I mean it would not power up at all.

Cursed a lot, went and read a lot. Learned that my vehicle doesn't have an ignition activated power wire. I have to run it to the fuse box. Okay, purchased a fuse tap, soem 12 gauge wire, and an extra fuse. Installed. Still nothing. Unit will not power up at all.

I then tested every single fuse in the vehicle for connectivity. Every one of them passed. Tested every single wire, and they, too, passed. I was stumped. That was the end of the day yesterday.

Today, the truck is acting up, like I left the headlights on. Got it started on its own, though, so went to work. Went out to lunch, dead battery time again. When my coworker leaves, I leave with him, just in case I need a jump. Lo and behold, I do. We attach jumper cables.

When he attaches his side, there's lots of sparks. On my side, there's smoke coming out of the battery. We detach everything pretty quickly, and discover that the jumper cables are hot.

So, best possible case right now: The mechanic finds a wire that got pulled loose (or a fuse I screwed up), and I only wind up paying for some fuses and a battery. Worst case: I wind up paying for a major electrical overhaul of the vehicle.

On the plus side, the dome light still comes on on its own.

So, now I sit here at work for another hour waiting for my wife to come get me. And I work from home tomorrow.

This sucks.

*hugs* So sorry hon. You're not supposed to let the magic smoke out, remember? o_O

Glad you weren't injured though and that your car didn't go boom. And you get a day at home with the kitty!

I'll cross my fingers that it's an easy and relatively cheap fix.
    "Good morning, and in case I don't see ya, good afternoon, good evening, and good night!" - The Truman Show

Comment

smoke coming from a lead acid battery, umm let me think about this one for a sec.......BAD!!!!

As long as the fuses survived I don't see a reason why anything else would need to be replaced the dome light coming on is a pretty good indicator that you didn't mess up anything important, like say your starter. The bad news, well now you get to play find the short. Seeing as how you weren't blowing fuses during the install I have absolutely no advice on where to send you to start though sorry man.

Comment

Well that can't be good.
        I don't go in for ancient wisdom
        I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
        It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Quoth bardicwench View Post
          *hugs* So sorry hon. You're not supposed to let the magic smoke out, remember? o_O
          But it's been so long since I let the magic smoke out of anything. I just wanted to see if it would still be the same.

Quoth bardicwench View Post
          Glad you weren't injured though and that your car didn't go boom. And you get a day at home with the kitty!
          You and me both. Also, the guy who was giving me the jump, since his car didn't go boom either.

Won't be able to do much by way of playing with the kitty, though. Hopefully, he'll be content sleeping on the shoulder for most of the day.

Quoth xx_wolfie_xx View Post
          smoke coming from a lead acid battery, umm let me think about this one for a sec.......BAD!!!!
          So, the high I got from inhaling it probably wasn't so good for me, huh? Dammit.

Quoth xx_wolfie_xx View Post
          Seeing as how you weren't blowing fuses during the install I have absolutely no advice on where to send you to start though sorry man.
          I think that the problem is with the 12V power wire from the battery to the head unit. I suspect it got pulled loose between the battery and the plug in the console, and has bare copper sitting on the frame somewhere. It's the only thing that makes sense to me at this point, and seems to fit with the behavior I saw.

Doesn't mean it's right, though.

Comment

I am lucky. Mechanic looked at it today. I also got an oil change, since I've been needing it. Total bill? $187.

No damage to car. Just one very very dead battery, and one blown fuse to the radio. That's it. They charged the battery, ran some tests on the electrical system to make sure no shorts, and everything is fine.

I think I can safely say that I am one lucky sumbitch today.

Comment

So, being me, I decided to try the new stereo. Plugged it in, and it came right up. Then spent the last 45 minutes actually mounting it/etc

Tomorrow is the big test: Will it still work then? Will the truck still start then?

Comment

Cars are fun, aren't they?

I'm going to be dealing with a similar fiasco if/when I reinstall the original Smiths AM radio into the MG. I'd removed it when the car was being restored. After ripping out and rewiring the car, I'm a bit reluctant to chop up a new wiring harness. For now, there's a blanking plate in the dash, and a bare hole on the fender where the antenna goes.

Anyhoo, good luck
                Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Working...
                X