This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Learning Spanish

Any suggestions for learning Spanish? I'm going into nursing and I'd like to be comfortable having simple conversations with patients (not involving medical terms, more like "Do you want a glass of water?") by this time next year. I've considered taking a college course but I'm not sure that's the best use of my limited time. Has anyone used any books/CDs/etc that helped a lot?

Rosetta stone is good..but its very pricey. Theres a similar program that i remember BSE recommendinf but i forget which one she said.

Ive found that a lot of people like just watching spanish soap operas and kinda do an immersion type thing on their own. Also, some local hospitals/colleges offer non credit "Spanish for Healthcare Workers" type classes for free or reduced price.

Also, the internet is full of free sources. Google and and you can find a ton of help for free.

Fortunately...its in my blood. Lol.

Comment

I used Pimsleur. Pricey, but got me to a conversational level.

Comment

Quoth Amina516 View Post
        Also, some local hospitals/colleges offer non credit "Spanish for Healthcare Workers" type classes for free or reduced price.
        It's required for the med students at my school, but not even available for the nursing students... who will be spending way more time with patients. Grrr.

Sorry, needed to get that off my chest. I will check and see if any hospitals around here have something like that for non-employees.

Comment

pimsleur is a good program, but rosetta stone is the best i've found for do-it-yourself. you could also try looking into community college courses or university extension courses, both of which are reasonably priced and can help you get to a conversational level. check with your local library, too. i know the ones around here occasionally offer free conversational spanish courses.
          My Space

Comment

Quoth trailerparkmedic View Post
            It's required for the med students at my school, but not even available for the nursing students... who will be spending way more time with patients. Grrr.

Sorry, needed to get that off my chest. I will check and see if any hospitals around here have something like that for non-employees.
            I completely agree with you. It should be available to all health care providers unless they expect you to go about with hand gestures....I can think of one but i dont know that management would like it.

Comment

Quoth Amina516 View Post
              I completely agree with you. It should be available to all health care providers unless they expect you to go about with hand gestures....I can think of one but i dont know that management would like it.
              Especially in, oh, Texas!!!!

Comment

If your local library has languages, check there for the Rosetta Stone. Alternately, any book-on-tape or something similar should do.
                The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Working...
                X