This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John Lennon

He would have celebrated his 70th birthday today. Still hard to believe.

I used to live in the general area of south Liverpool that the Beatles were associated with.

Fun local facts: Allerton and Garston railway stations, which were on separate intersecting lines, have been combined into a single Liverpool South Parkway station. For this purpose new platforms were constructed witin sight of Garston station, and Garston is now closed.

South Parkway is now the closest and recommended station for John Lennon Airport, and by all accounts is considerably better appointed than other local stations nearby. A bus journey from there is still necessary but probably quite short.

Next door to John Lennon Airport is the disused airfield that used to be known as Speke Airport. For a short time, the two were connected by a taxiway. Now the old Speke terminal building - a classic Art Deco edifice - is a hotel. Speke's short runways were unable to handle modern airliners.

When interpreting the above, remember that neither Speke nor Garston are particularly nice areas of Liverpool. Allerton is a considerable improvement over them.

Comment

Quoth Eireann View Post
      He would have celebrated his 70th birthday today. Still hard to believe.
      Also, "How Do You Sleep" would be as relevant today as it was when Lennon wrote it. Actually, probably even more so.

Yeah, I don't care much for Pauly Beatle, why do you ask?
      Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Spider Robinson wrote a short story where John was cryogenically frozen until they could repair and revive him in 2006.

Story is called Rubber Soul.
        I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
        Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
        Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Working...
        X