Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to screw yourself in a small town...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to screw yourself in a small town...

Key West is many things, some great, some bad, but one thing it is, despite the millions of tourists, is in essence a small town. We only have about 25,000 permanent residents, plus a few more thousand who live on the other Lower Keys, and that makes for a small community. The running joke with tourists is "What happens in Key West, stays in Key West." Which is great if you're a tourist...you can go hog wild. The problem is, if you LIVE here, that means everyone knows your shit. Which means, in essence, you better not be a total fuckup if you want to continue to be employed here.

Which brings us to yesterday at The Bar. New Boss Man comes up to me and asks, "Do you know K.J*., who used to be a manager at Dance Club?" I told him I thought so, and asked why? Apparently some of NBM's friends at Another Bar had emailed NBM about K.J., as apparently he was seeking employment there. So I then asked NBM to clarify who we were talking about....which K.J. was this? NBM checked his email, and came back to tell me the K.J. in question was Keith Jesperson*.

Did I know him? Oh, yeah I did. Several months ago, when there was a management shakeup at the restaurant where I do magic once a week, K.J. was hired to be the new General Manager. He lasted less than a month. I told NBM that I would double check with one of my friends at the restaurant, to make sure I had the story straight so I could give NBM the total lowdown on K.J. After a quick call to said friend, I turned to NBM with the information I already had and some new, BONUS information on this K.J. character.

This guy, who had (allegedly) been fired from Dance Club, worked at the restaurant for only two weeks before he was fired by ownership. Apparently he was (allegedly) a big cokehead, he (allegedly) refused to take the restaurant's mandatory drug test, he often missed or called out of his shifts for various reasons, and while all of that is one thing, he was fired after only two weeks (somewhat) on the job for stealing money from the safe. Remember, this is the General Manager we're talking about here! But K.J. did last long enough to order and pay (with restaurant funds) a plaque proclaiming the Manager of the Month as (you guessed it) K.J. himself.

Most of this was unofficial, and my friend made that clear, as did I to NBM. This is not stuff you would put down in official documents (though the restaurant DID document his theft of cash from the safe when they terminated his employment). But I told NBM all of this (unofficially, of course), he emailed his friends at Another Bar, and I would venture a guess that K.J. did NOT land the job at Another Bar.

Moral of the story: If you're gonna be a coked-out, lazy, halfwit thief when put in a position of responsibility, either don't do it in a small town where word gets around, or else once you've done it in a small town, LEAVE TOWN. Fucking idiot.

*I have not used any real names here. While the subject of this post DOES go by his initials, that is the only similarity between his real name and the one I've given him here, purely for my own amusment. Keith Jesperson, for those who are wondering, is the name of the "Happy Face Killer," a serial killer who lured prostitutes to their death in several states while he was employed as a truck driver.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
    Still A Customer."

Quoth Jester View Post
    Fucking idiot.

That pretty well sums it up. Hell, i live in a densely populated, large, area. And word still gets around. All the restaurants around here talk to one another about employment, so, if you are a "fucking idiot", good luck getting a job. I can only imagine how much this goes on in a much smaller community.

Comment

My only question is if he refused to take the mandatory drug test then how the hell did he get hired?
      "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

Quoth Dave1982 View Post
        My only question is if he refused to take the mandatory drug test then how the hell did he get hired?
        Not once in the OP did I say that the ownership of the restaurant in question was highly intelligent.

And to be fair, I don't know the details around that part of it. He may have put it off, put it off, put it off, than found excuses, or simply refused once he was hired, what have you. There are a million ways to avoid things, sometimes without arousing too much suspicion if you are a good enough salesman/liar/manipulator.

Still A Customer."

Comment

Glad my only faults are"has issues being five minutes late, and wanting to leave a tad early."
          I work my ass off, I feel awkward just standing around-- I go for efficiency and sense.
          Why can't that reputation go around?
          Eh. Back on topic, I find it ... 'train-wrecky-ly' hilarious to read that story, Jester-- so thanks for a laugh/horror story. Stupidity can indeed be funny.
          "Is it the lie that keeps you sane? Is this the lie that keeps you sane?What is it?Can it be?Ought it to exist?"
          "...and may it be that I cleave to the ugly truth, rather than the beautiful lie..."

Comment

Oh, I laughed my ass off when New Boss Man asked me about that guy. I knew he had lasted only a short time at the other restaurant, and that he had stolen. It was news to me, however, that he had avoided the drug test and skipped out on shifts. And other people in a position to know have since told NBM that the dude is a major cokehead.

Still A Customer."

Comment

Yeah but the problem with that is it's illegal for businesses to ban together and make sure that you can't work in a given area. He can sue for that.

Comment

Quoth ditchdj View Post
                Yeah but the problem with that is it's illegal for businesses to ban together and make sure that you can't work in a given area. He can sue for that.
                good luck proving that kind of thing. Its as simple as "I didnt like that he came in in a red shirt on a tuesday so I decided to toss his application"

Quoth Jester View Post
                Not once in the OP did I say that the ownership of the restaurant in question was highly intelligent.
                Eh, most employers don't drug test, but reserve the right to require one.
                Last edited by Whiskey; 10-18-2010, 01:41 AM.
                Thou shalt not take the name of thy goddess Whiskey in vain.

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                  Ah yes. I should've guessed.

I have only once in my life had to take a drug test, and that was when I *thought* I was getting a job at the Red Bullseye, and in that case, it was basically "if you don't go take this test you do NOT get the job."

In any event, minutes after taking the test they called me back to say "don't take it" because for some reason I was never able to find out, they were pulling the job offer. I went back to ask a few times but they never got back to me, and I took a job at the Bent Staple.
                  "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

Quoth ditchdj View Post
                    Yes he can, if he could prove that various businesses colluded to prevent him from working.

What actually is happening is that managers at different businesses are (unofficially) talking about this guy, and (unofficially) advising one another about his fitness for employment. OFFICIALLY, they are not even talking about him, as the one business he is applying at would have no reason to ask the other business (mine) about him, since he never worked there.

Quoth Whiskey View Post
                    Eh, most employers don't drug test, but reserve the right to require one.
                    In Key West, most employers don't even drug test. Usually the only ones that do so in the food service industry down here are corporate chains. And even those don't always. The one he got canned from (as mentioned in the OP) doesn't for employees, though for managment they apparently do.

In Key West, drug testing outside of management is rare, as these businesses DO need a work force, and can't afford to be THAT freakin' picky!

Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Dave1982 View Post
                      I have only once in my life had to take a drug test, and that was when I *thought* I was getting a job at the Red Bullseye.
                      My nephew applied at "the Red Bullseye" a few years ago. Got an interview. Went to take the drug test. We're all excited because taking a drug test = getting the job...right?

They never called him, and the number they gave him to call was bogus.
                      I'm bringing disdain back...with a vengeance.

Oh, and your tool box called...you got out again.

Comment

Quoth teh_blumchenkinder View Post

Glad my only faults are"has issues being five minutes late, and wanting to leave a tad early."
                        I work my ass off, I feel awkward just standing around-- I go for efficiency and sense.
                        Why can't that reputation go around?
                        You don't talk about your good workers, because then someplace else might try to headhunt them away.

Come to think of it, I've seen someone use that to trick a competitor to hire away an unwanted employee that was virtually firing-proof for various reasons.
                        The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                        "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                        Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Working...
                        X