This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't get excited about Halloween

And it's my favorite day!! Kind of bummin me out... I have no plans, no idea for a costume, and wasn't even into pumpkin picking this year (I did get some nice ones, though). Granted, last years Halloween kinda sucked, so maybe that is influencing it....

But than again, I wasn't in full hiking mode in NH either... Han fun, but wasn't overly excited.

I'm getting old and set in my ways!
    "Getting to the top is optional. Getting down is mandatory." _Ed Viesturs
    "Love what you do. If you haven't found it yet, keep looking, and don't settle" Steve Jobs

This halloween is going to kinda suck because my days of going out with the kids trick or treating is officially over. The only one young enough to even still do it wants to do it with her friends and not me.

I never got to go trick or treating as a kid cause my mom didn't let me. Nor would she hand anything out, she would rather hide in her room with the lights off. And make me do the same thing. So going with the kids for the last 20 years has been my outlet and now it's gone.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
    Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

Quoth telecom_goddess View Post
      So going with the kids for the last 20 years has been my outlet and now it's gone.
      But then you can sit at home, waiting for the children to come trick or treating. That's fun too.

Comment

All of my friends are going to a Halloween-themed cover band concert....With my claustrophobia the way it is, I'm going to stay at home and watch The Nightmare Before Christmas or something.
        "Even arms dealers need groceries." ~ Ziva David, NCIS

Tony: "Everyone's counting on you, just do what you do best."
        Abby: "Dance?" ~ NCIS

Comment

ya know, i'm not gearing up for halloween either.. granted i am going to the Ren Faire the next weekend, and am more excited about that;
          But i don't really wanna go downtown; don't wanna go to the pumpkin carving party at my boss', not 100% sureof the bf's work schedule so don't know what we can do together, don't get that halloween is either horror or whores.... and can't have a halloween party at my place b/c my ew mother will take over, and it will be her party...
          fml
          I am well versed in the "gentle" art of verbal self-defense

Once is an accident; Twice is coincidence; Thrice is a pattern.

http://www.gofundme.com/treasurenathanwedding

Comment

Quoth Mikkel View Post
            But then you can sit at home, waiting for the children to come trick or treating. That's fun too.
            I like that part too but I'm a new apartment complex and I don't know how many trick or treaters even come there yet.....we're kinda tucked away so I'm hoping we do get some.

Comment

decorate, decorate decorate! get black and orange crepe paper and do spider-webby type streamers across something that won't block traffic, but will draw notice... pick up something that can go on the front door - make sure everybody can tell you're a halloween friendly apt.

that can be difficult depending on budget...

maybe contact your complex's office and let them know that you plan to give out candy, can you make a sign up sheet type thing, that can be passed around, so that everybody knows which apt #'s will be giving out candy, and which ones won't....

you would be surprised how many other mom's in the complex will appreciate it.
              I am well versed in the "gentle" art of verbal self-defense

Once is an accident; Twice is coincidence; Thrice is a pattern.

http://www.gofundme.com/treasurenathanwedding

Comment

Actually that reminds me other places I've lived in have passed out flyers you can attach to the door stating you are giving out candy. If it's up you go knock ...if it's not pass it by. But this place hasn't passed stuff like that out yet and you can't turn off the porch lights they are light activated.

I may talk to the office and see if I get anywhere.

Comment

My complex was pretty dead the first two years. but this year, we'll have decorations up, and there are a bunch of kids who weren't there before, so maybe we won't have to eat all that leftover candy on our own.

I picked up some interesting wall covering from the 99c store that I'll be draping across our huge front window.

^-.-^
                  Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

The too-olds in my neighborhood (in most of our cases, 50+ in age) can't let the play go. We get costumed up and take the candy outside to give to kids going by. We get more face time with the kids and their parents that way, too. It's not an organized thing, more a tradition where anyone comes out who wants to. We trade candy, fill each others' bowls when someone runs out, just have some fun instead of sitting inside, getting up to answer the door.

Comment

^That sounds like fun, and I would totally do it if I were at home on Halloween
                      Being the cosplayer I am, I love to dress up. And I don't restrict myself to "Whore or Horror" either. I hate that almost all commercially made halloween costumes are of the "slutty" variety, with next to nothing for women who don't want to show off as much.

I got into an argument with somebody over this- he thought it was about women's empowerment- "If she looks good and wants to show it off, why not?"
                      He didn't get that not all women want to show it off, or can. Some of us have body types that just don't look good in those clothes. Some of us are going to events outside, where we might freeze in a tiny costume. Others may need a costume for a work party- last time I checked, wearing a "whore-o-ween" costume to work is generally frowned upon. It may not get specifically brought up in a performance review, but it will most likely get the wearer remembered for all the wrong reasons.
                      And what of women going trick or treating with the kids, or going to all-ages halloween events, where there are kids around, and a sexy costume may not be appropriate?

I design some impressive costumes, but I'm frustrated by most typical halloween events- unless the costume is slutty or the wearer is willing to compete for applause by doing slutty things, it's hard to win, especially if you're a woman. My costumes aren't designed to be used for striptease, and I'm just not that sort of person. So why bother competing? It's put me off of a lot of adult halloween events- why bother showing up in an amazing costume with a ton of work, if you're just going to lose to some clown who shows T&A for easy applause?
                      Last edited by Amanita; 10-21-2010, 02:24 AM.

Comment

Quoth telecom_goddess View Post
                        So going with the kids for the last 20 years has been my outlet and now it's gone.
                        Mug a parent and take their kids.
                        The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

I was never allowed to trick or treat either...we didn't live close to people and my mother is afraid of everything and expected me to be the same.

I did hear my pub is doing something on Nov 1, so I will have to think of a costume
                          "Getting to the top is optional. Getting down is mandatory." _Ed Viesturs
                          "Love what you do. If you haven't found it yet, keep looking, and don't settle" Steve Jobs

Comment

Quoth ArcticChicken View Post
                            Mug a parent and take their kids.
                            Heh there's an idea......I won't get in trouble for that right

Comment

Quoth Cat View Post
                              I was never allowed to trick or treat either...we didn't live close to people and my mother is afraid of everything and expected me to be the same.

I did hear my pub is doing something on Nov 1, so I will have to think of a costume
                              Oh good I'm not the only freakin' one in the world finally.

Comment

Working...
                              X