Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was so looking forward to giving out stuff on Halloween again when we moved five years ago (our old neighborhood was too dangerous to do this). Then I found out that there are about five kids in the entire new neighborhood who go trick or treating.

I think parent-paranoia has drained all the fun out of Halloween.

So usually my sister(s) and I (sometimes both of them, sometimes just the one if the other has to work that day) will go out during the day to our favorite coffee shops, hit some of the cute gift shops and eat lunch out. In the evening we bring out my collection of Halloween candle glasses, light up the Jack-o-Lanterns (I always carve a pumpkin!) heat up some spiced cider, and play the coolest/spookiest songs we can find. Around midnight we do an ancestor blessing/remembrance. We stay up quite late so I always make sure I have Oct. 31 and Nov. 1 off.
    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

I hadn't thought of that but yeah I bet parent paranoia has drained the fun out of halloween. Whatever happened to letting your kid go do a long time honored tradition and then checking their loot before they actually eat any of it? I always looked over their stuff before they had it.....

Again I just can't predict how many trick or treaters we are going to have. I got to see some kick ass halloween decorations last year in my old neighborhood...but again to just walk through there by myself is kinda lame....even though I want to see them....
      https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
      Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

If it makes you feel any better, I'm stuck going to a Halloween party thrown by my 20something yet act 16 years old friends who are all dressing up like the Jersey Shore losers and having beer pong.

I think I may just need to sedate myself.
        You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Quoth blas View Post
          If it makes you feel any better, I'm stuck going to a Halloween party thrown by my 20something yet act 16 years old friends who are all dressing up like the Jersey Shore losers and having beer pong.

That sounds about awful.

Comment

Quoth blas View Post

It sounds like you will be attending the scariest Halloween party ever.

I wish you well!

MoonCat....I like you idea...I have to light my candles and just reflect...

Telecom...yup my mom was ultra-paraniod...anything thing saw on the news she thought was going to happen to me! Crazy
            "Getting to the top is optional. Getting down is mandatory." _Ed Viesturs
            "Love what you do. If you haven't found it yet, keep looking, and don't settle" Steve Jobs

Comment

Trick-or-treating isn't really done over here, at least not in my area. My mother used to alternate between 'spiritual warfare against the forces of darkness' and lecturing the annual group of kids stupid enough to knock on our door.

Now that I'm an adult, Halloween is MY holiday, the only one that I don't have to do anything with family. I get the kids babysat and organise to spend the evening with friends. Last year we wandered the city, visited an adult/fetish store and dropped by a gentlemans club. This year will be quieter, as my best friend just moved back here and we all know how expensive it is to move interstate.
              Don't tempt pixies, it never ends well.

Avatar created by the lovely Eisa.

Comment

Unfortunately I can't go to any Halloween events this year. Instead we're off to a concert to see some John "Captain Jack" Barrowman bloke. Plusbackstage passes and stuff!
                Good customers are as rare as Latinum. Treasure them. ~ The 57th Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition.

Comment

I'm planning to catch a Halloween show of Dead Man's Party in LA on the 30th.

Which reminds me, I really need to buy tickets today, while they're still on discount.

^-.-^
                  Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth Boggles View Post
                    Unfortunately I can't go to any Halloween events this year. Instead we're off to a concert to see some John "Captain Jack" Barrowman bloke. Plusbackstage passes and stuff!
                    sneak me in with you!!!!!

DROOL!!! so jealous.
                    Coffee should be strong, black and chewy! It should strip paint and frighten small children.

My blog Darkwynd's Musings

Comment

I feel bad because I want to do halloween, but I just can't. And I'm in whats considered "the good neighborhood" where kids are supposed to make bank.

Porch light off, I got nothin' for you. =[
                      Thou shalt not take the name of thy goddess Whiskey in vain.

Comment

There are no kids out in my neighborhood. Thus, no one to give candy out to (though my mom still ends up buying one bag of something anyway. Which I usually end up sneaking into, depending on what it is). Thus, I plan on watching as much of the live investigation on Ghost Hunters as I can before I need to go to bed.

On Friday (and possibly Thursday), I am gonna go to school dressed up. :3 A lot of people at my college (students and staff alike) dress up for Halloween. Even if, as is the case this year, Halloween falls on a weekend, there's usually a good number of people who will come to school on the Friday before. I can't wait to see what people's costumes will be this year. Last year, I saw a zombie bunny, a Harry Dresden, a spider witch, a few various undead (ghosts, vampires, zombies, etc). It was great. Last year, I took the easy way out and attacked my face with an eyebrow pencil to make a cat face. This year, I'm going all out and dressing up as Magda from the musical Tanz Der Vampire. And I'm 'borrowing' the camera and taking it to school with me.
                        "Things that fail to kill me make me level up." ~ NateWantsToBattle, Training Hard (Counting Stars parody)

Comment

Well I'm definitely getting into the pumpkin spirit of things. I cooked down two pumpkins yesterday...and ended up making pumpkin soup, pumpkin bread, pumpkin muffins, roasting pumpkin seeds and have 8 cups of the stuff in the freezer which will probably now be made into pies later.

Comment

Make some pumpkin butter, too. Good on toast.
                            "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
                              Make some pumpkin butter, too. Good on toast.
                              MMMMMmmmm that sounds intriguing thanks

Comment

My friends keep talking about the concert they're going to and the costumes they're wearing..... I'm starting to get a bit depressed about it, tbh. I know that if I went, I would be miserable, and I don't have the money or time to pull together a costume. I just don't like being left out.
                                "Even arms dealers need groceries." ~ Ziva David, NCIS

Tony: "Everyone's counting on you, just do what you do best."
                                Abby: "Dance?" ~ NCIS

Comment

Working...
                                X