Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A few years ago I was totally unprepared for Halloween. So I threw together a bunch of old clothes I don't know why I still had and went as a crazy bag lady.

^-.-^
    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

So it turns out that Saturday night I'm probably going to have to take attendance at one of our performances that the students are required to see. WTH are we doing a play on Halloween weekend...who scheduled that?
      "Even arms dealers need groceries." ~ Ziva David, NCIS

Tony: "Everyone's counting on you, just do what you do best."
      Abby: "Dance?" ~ NCIS

Comment

Quoth Mishi View Post
        Trick-or-treating isn't really done over here, at least not in my area. My mother used to alternate between 'spiritual warfare against the forces of darkness' and lecturing the annual group of kids stupid enough to knock on our door.
        <snip>
        *snort*
        I used to think this way, as did my mother. Maybe she still thinks this way... something to ask her anyway-- but I'll tell y'all this much:
        Forces of Darkness my ugly white tookis. I've seen more evil around Easter than on Halloween, and more in the day than at night. It's the small stuff, folks, that does you in; the big stuff you just notice more. The night provides time to think, and cover. Most people who do bad things don't need either of those. /
        On a more positive note: I'm going as a zombie to a party this year, my first Halloween party as an adult! Yay creepy boozings! There's some pretty gory drinks out there-- just look them up on the intertubes. I am of the opinion that you can never have too many stormtroopers or zombies. In fact, the more the merrier! It's the group effect that's amazing, unlike, say, Jack Sparrows or such.
        "Is it the lie that keeps you sane? Is this the lie that keeps you sane?What is it?Can it be?Ought it to exist?"
        "...and may it be that I cleave to the ugly truth, rather than the beautiful lie..."

Comment

after my daughter turned 13 or so Trick or Treating became a non thing. THEN we started going to the Halloween RHPS showing but can't this year cause my car just wanted too much work done on it in the last 4 months ($2K worth).

but then I have worked most Halloweens for the last 6 years or so (between the gas station and the pizza place).
          I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
          -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Well, I got invited to a party!!! Weeee! Hopefully all will go as planned and I'll be able to go.

We are also doing a theme week at work....every day has a different costume.
            Monday- team colors...I wore white cat ears
            Tuesday- Hawaiian (I have noting, oh well)
            Wed- Fave character- Chococat!
            Thurs PJ day (lame, but comfy)
            Friday- Halloween.....I'm going as a fantasy character based largerly on Link (it'd be a very feminine Link, as all I am using my cloths as opposed to buying) Alas, I will have to substitute a plastic sword for a my real one.
            "Getting to the top is optional. Getting down is mandatory." _Ed Viesturs
            "Love what you do. If you haven't found it yet, keep looking, and don't settle" Steve Jobs

Comment

You could have gone as a Hawaiian tourist, Cat. Huge camera, lei, plastic visor hat/straw hat, Hawaiian print shirt, map, fanny pack, and shorts.

Comment

Quoth Amanita View Post
                Being the cosplayer I am, I love to dress up. And I don't restrict myself to "Whore or Horror" either. I hate that almost all commercially made halloween costumes are of the "slutty" variety, with next to nothing for women who don't want to show off as much.
                Agreed. Even the ones for "larger" women (and the costume manufacturers consider size 12-14 "extra large"!) show off way too much skin for my comfort, even if I was skinny (which I'm not). I tend to wear my SCA garb; it's already made and fits me, it covers everything, it's obviously a costume and not street clothes with a lame title and it's a helluva lot more comfortable than those cheap polyester costumes.

I am going to make a serious effort to lose a few pounds this year. If I can lose at least 30 pounds by next Halloween, I'm going to make a pretty costume (I'm thinking maybe this one (upper left corner) or one of these.
                Last edited by XCashier; 11-01-2010, 03:40 AM. Reason: clarification
                I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                My LiveJournal
                A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Nice! I am working on my costumes for the con this weekend, still worried that a vital part of one won't arrive on time- need it tomorrow night, fedex is supposed to be bringing it.

I won't even touch those cheap polyester "costume in a bag" outfits, they're crap.
                  And the guys don't always have it better- it seems that more and more guy's costumes are variations on penis jokes or similar.

Comment

I get to spend the weekend babysitting my boyfriend. His wife and HER boyfriend are going to a big SCA tournament, and he'll be home all by his lonesome. She asked me to spend extra time with him so he doen't get all gloomy and try to hurt himself again.

I'll be wearing my kimono (yup. SCA garb) to work. Not as cool as last year, but still not a run of the mill costume. Maybe (hopefully) we'll go out for dinner or something with some of our other friends too.

Comment

Quoth AriGriffin View Post
                      You could have gone as a Hawaiian tourist, Cat. Huge camera, lei, plastic visor hat/straw hat, Hawaiian print shirt, map, fanny pack, and shorts.
                      I had none of the above Oh well...

I think my best costume ever was Crazy Cat Lady......cheap robe, night gown, slippers....and my stuffed cats sewn on the robe! And a few smaller cats to throw at people.
                      "Getting to the top is optional. Getting down is mandatory." _Ed Viesturs
                      "Love what you do. If you haven't found it yet, keep looking, and don't settle" Steve Jobs

Comment

A little late pitching into this conversation, but being out of work seems to have some benefits, that being I can actually attend the events happening on the weekends.

In total we had three events to go to, with D having one additional one (with her BDSM group) that I didn't attend.

The first was put on by our complex, a gathering of residents. I just put on Ren Fair garb, and she went as a Garden Fairy.

Then, some friends' annual scary movie day, followed by a zombie-themed party last night. Luckily, not many people actually did a zombie type costume, including us. I pulled out my old Klingon outfit (since I found I can now fit into my boots again!) and she used my old Crow costume (ie: The Crow) which was originally based on the comic, not the movie.

I've even already decided what next years costume is going to be. Ming The Merciless.

Eric the Grey
                        In memory of Dena - Don't Drink and Drive

Comment

I stayed out on the front porch from six to eight yesterday and today. There were only seven trick or treaters that stopped and all were from yesterday. That was down from last year's twelve. I was handing out cans of soda, regular size candy bars, and a grab bag of assorted goodies (stickers, fruit snacks, spider rings, bouncy balls, pencils, erasers, crayons, kid's books, and coloring books). I don't think I'm going to hand out stuff next year.

Comment

There were only seven trick or treaters that stopped and all were from yesterday. That was down from last year's twelve.
                            That's what my MIL reported, too. While I was taking my son to the mall (I posted about that here ) she was handing out candy. And it never fails: if you buy a lot of candy, you get maybe a dozen TOTers. If you only buy a small bag, the entire city shows up! I bought two large bags, and only about ten have shown up. Oh well, I make sure to buy good stuff that we'd eat (not the cheapie junk), so we'll be well stocked for a while.
                            I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                            My LiveJournal
                            A page we can all agree with!

Comment

I just wanted to mention...I never got to trick or treat either. My mom thought it was evil.

I made my costume almost entirely with stuff I already had...
                              "And so all the night-tide, I lie down by the side of my darling, my darling, my life and my bride!"
                              "Hallo elskan min/Trui ekki hvad timinn lidur"
                              Amayis is my wifey

Comment

I stayed out on the front porch from six to eight yesterday and today. There were only seven trick or treaters that stopped and all were from yesterday. That was down from last year's twelve. I was handing out cans of soda, regular size candy bars, and a grab bag of assorted goodies (stickers, fruit snacks, spider rings, bouncy balls, pencils, erasers, crayons, kid's books, and coloring books). I don't think I'm going to hand out stuff next year.
                                Please don't give up!

I'll come trick or treating at your place next year. Who cares if I'll be 32?

...if only I knew where you live...
                                Unseen but seeing
                                oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                                There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                                3rd shift needs love, too
                                RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Working...
                                X