This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I signed up for NaNoWriMo!

So guess what I'll be doing all November! Writing like there is no tomorrow! ^_^ This is my first year doing it, and with working full time and all I'm not sure how it is going to turn out, but I am going to try!
    "I'm not smiling because I'm happy. I'm smiling because every time I blink your head explodes!"
    -Red

Awesome! Add me if you want...my name on there is the same as here.

Comment

Whoo! Someone to keep me on track! lol
      "I'm not smiling because I'm happy. I'm smiling because every time I blink your head explodes!"
      -Red

Comment

Ooh... I guess I'd better get myself signed up.

My name is the same.

^-.-^
        Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Added both of you!

Comment

I crashed and burned last year. Still haven't decided if I'm going to try this year.
            The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

Whoo! The more the merrier!

Arctic- it's okay not to make it all the way ^_^ at least you tried... I am not convinced I'm gonna be able to do it this year either, but I have such bad writers block that I needed something to kick my butt into over drive.

Kaylyn + Andara -Do you guys have any idea as to what you are going to be writing about yet?
              -Red

Comment

Quoth Red_Dazes View Post
                Arctic- it's okay not to make it all the way ^_^ at least you tried... I am not convinced I'm gonna be able to do it this year either, but I have such bad writers block that I needed something to kick my butt into over drive.
                Pfft, I didn't get a single word written.

On the other hand, I've decided I'm writing the story of the game I wrote for my LARPing group last year, and am currently looking up my story notes so that I can outline it. I'm totally ignoring the original plot, the MacGuffin is so not appropriate for a book.

I'm GaarDNous on NaNo.
                Last edited by ArcticChicken; 10-21-2010, 05:19 AM.

Comment

I've flipflopped so many times about what I want to write...and I wound up back on my original idea at last. It's actually a sort of tie-in to my current story (the one you're reading!) and it's also M/M romance. The main character has informed me that he's the younger brother of the drummer of the band. I totally didn't plan that!

Yeah, my characters tend to boss me around a bit...

Comment

Quoth Kaylyn View Post
                    At least you have characters. I'm great at world building, but I can't seem to find a character to save my life.

Comment

Quoth Kaylyn View Post

oh man don't get me started on bossy characters! lol I put so much time and effort into mine that they take on a personality all their own... so I start to write what I want to write and all I get is 'bitch bitch bitch that's not how it should go!' XP

Quoth ArcticChicken View Post
                      At least you have characters. I'm great at world building, but I can't seem to find a character to save my life
                      building Characters isn't really that easy so don't feel bad. It takes quite a bit of work to come up with a character that isn't a flat sheet of paper. Maybe you can try doing something like saying to yourself "This is my world... now who would live here. " Pick one person out of many and give them a personality, just randomize it 'funny, outgoing. Shy. scared. shut off. talkative' etc. then try and figure out why they ended up that way.

Just a thought, I know that is more or less my process....so I don't know if it will work for you as everyone is different.
                      -Red

Comment

I'm on there as Deeva. But I don't think I'll be participating this year. I'm just massively overwhelmed with this teaching thing. And trying to get out of the teaching thing by trying to get into the grad school thing.

So why do I have so many story ideas trying to ram themselves down my throat?
                        My NaNo page

My author blog

Comment

I have no idea what I'm going to write about, yet.

I have ideas percolating, however.

One year I wrote about a person who got sucked into the online game she played, while her character got dumped in the real world. One of the fun parts of that was figuring out what the in-game characters did while the player wasn't playing.

Another year I wrote about a person participating in NaNoWriMo and all of the things that came up to prevent her from writing, most of which were based on stuff that actually happened to me recently. I even have a calendar where I marked important events down, still.

The last time, I worked on a story where the entirety of the narrative took place within a state-sponsored brothel in some not-so-distant future. Outside the brothel, a revolution was taking place.

I usually figure out what I'm going to do in a flash, usually right before it starts.

As for characters, I have yet to have a character that didn't write themselves after a bit. I can't even write a throw-away character; in working out any character's motivation, they end up with a full backstory, even if it never gets related anywhere.

^-.-^
                          Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

So what forums do you guys tend to lurk on? I'm most active in my regional forum because I'm helping plan a kickoff party on the first in Shreveport. I've offered a little advice in Writing 101 (bumped into EvilQueen there!), Reference Desk, but I tend to lurk around the romance board the most.

Comment

So far I'm mostly on my regional forum, haven't had much time to explore the others yet.
                              -Red

Comment

Working...
                              X