This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm tired of feeling like roadkill

Went to my doctor today because my cough hasn't gone away since the urgent care diagnosed (and treated me for) Bronchitis at the end of last month. Also, my acid reflux has flared up really badly.

Actually, I didn't see my normal doctor because she was out of town, but I saw her partner. I actually think I like the partner better... they're both really nice women though.

Anyway, what the doctor thinks is happening is that the acid reflux is weakening my esophagus and getting worse, and that's pushing the acid & bile into my lungs, which is causing the chest pain and triggering asthma. So I now have to get treated for both.

Walked out of there with a couple of samples, prescriptions for 3 other medications, and orders to call when my albuterol inhaler runs out (urgent care prescribed it) so they can call in a new one.

So... the medications that I'm currently on now are:

Methylprednisolone (a corticosteroid) for the asthma for 6 days: 6 pills today, 5 tomorrow, 4 the next, 3 the next, 2 the next, and then the last pill on the 6th day.

Protonix (a proton pump inhibitor) for the acid reflux - 1 pill/day for the next 2 months - this will decrease the production of acid made so hopefully my esophagus will heal. (Doctor gave me 2 months worth of samples for this!)

Singulair (a leukotriene receptor antagonist) for the asthma - 1 pill/day for the next three weeks. (Have samples as well.)

Robitussin w/codeine for the cough

Albuterol inhaler (as needed)

Pulmicort Flexhaler
    (twice a day is the normal dose so I assume that's what I'll be on as well?) - I pick this up tomorrow since the pharmacy didn't have the strength in that I need.

I'm also on a calcium supplement (since PPIs decrease bone density with long use) and a kelp supplement (since I have an iodine deficiency.)

Follow up appointment 4 weeks from today. If no improvement, they're going to have to scope me.

Oh yeah, and I probably never had bronchitis at all... it was most likely this same issue the entire time. And the same when I went into the ER a few months ago with extreme chest pain and difficulty breathing, and they couldn't figure out a cause then.

---------------------------------------

EDIT: I've been having problems with Acid Reflux for a while. My doctor (not the one I saw today, but my normal doctor) put me on a PrevPac earlier this year thinking that it was H. Pylori causing the acid. Now, a PrevPac is 14 days with 8 pills per day. So 112 pills today. You take 4 pills in the morning (1 Prevacid, 1 Biaxin, 2 Amoxicillin) and then repeat at night. I was fine for about 2 months after that, but then the acid starting flaring back up again. I'm really afraid that they're going to have to scope me, and that they'll find something bad. But at the same time, I'd rather that they FIX IT than continue to feel horrible all of the time.
    Last edited by Wenchie; 10-21-2010, 09:23 PM. Reason: More information about health history
    "Good morning, and in case I don't see ya, good afternoon, good evening, and good night!" - The Truman Show

you poor thing!

Try to eat light foods while taking your meds, to help with the taking, and to also keep your stomach from over acting.

Rest plenty! If you can rest a good bit while doing your meds, it can help you NOT have to do the scope.

Don't give up! That's the biggest thing. If you think you will get well, you will. The brain does wonders.
    I can only please one person a day, today isn't your day, and tomorrow doesn't look good either.

When someone asks you a stupid question, give them a stupid answer.

Comment

Good God.

That looks like the medication list for my 90 yr old patients.

I hope you feel better, Wenchie. Taking care of yourself needs to be priority number one. Watch acid producing foods and sphincter relaxing ones. But you sound like youre on top of things.

Good luck, babez.

Comment

Quoth Amina516 View Post
        Good God.

I hope you feel better, Wenchie. Taking care of yourself needs to be priority number one. Watch acid producing foods and sphincter relaxing ones. But you sound like youre on top of things.

Good luck, babez.
        I was bad and ate spicy chicken, because I wanted to have food with taste!

I'll be good starting tomorrow. I swear. Tomorrow will be the first day on all medications, or at least after I pick up the last Rx.

But thanks everyone. *hugs*
        "Good morning, and in case I don't see ya, good afternoon, good evening, and good night!" - The Truman Show

Comment

Ugh. That's a lotta drugs!

Hope you are feeling better soon
          I don't go in for ancient wisdom
          I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
          It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Day one of meds is almost over... feel like Day 2 old roadkill. Just picked up my last Rx though so I should take a look at the instructions on that.

Comment

Quoth Amina516 View Post
              Good God.

I was going to say that looks like the med list for my stage 4 cancer patients, except you don't have any fun experimental stuff.

Hope you're feeling better soon.

Comment

Quoth trailerparkmedic View Post
                I was going to say that looks like the med list for my stage 4 cancer patients, except you don't have any fun experimental stuff.

Hope you're feeling better soon.
                I want the fun experimental stuff!

Comment

Quoth Wenchie View Post
                  Ok, but only if you promise not to puke on my shoes like one patient did today. (poor guy!) I knew there was reason I bought plasticy nurse shoes that have no holes instead of wearing sneakers with mesh on top.

Comment

Quoth Wenchie View Post
                    The stuff for cancer patients tend to be poisons of some kind. It may extend your life but it won't make you feel good.
                    I got the Prednisolone while I got chemo against nausea. Almost the only thing which were a bit fun to take . It gave me the munchies every time .

Comment

I'm sure that they told you but just in case - make sure that you stay sitting up for about 30-60 minutes after you eat. Let gravity be your friend in keeping the acid down where it belongs.

Comment

Feeling like that's no fun. *offers hugs and chocolate*
                        Last edited by RootedPhoenix; 10-24-2010, 09:28 PM. Reason: fixing
                        1129. I will refrain from casting Dimension Jump and Magnificent Mansion on every police box we pass.
                        -----
                        http://orchidcolors.livejournal.com (A blog about everything and nothing)

Comment

Running out of energy again. Half hour more of work and then dinner. Planned to do laundry and clean, but I'm starting to really feel icky again, so I might curl up and read instead. At least I have food I can heat up rather than needing to actually cook.

Can I have a working body please?

Comment

Sorry you're running out of energy and still feel yucky. Are the meds starting to work now? I think mine are a little bit--like it's making my head hurt and my nose run and stuff, but that also wasn't really happening before, so I THINK it's a good sign!
                            "And so all the night-tide, I lie down by the side of my darling, my darling, my life and my bride!"
                            "Hallo elskan min/Trui ekki hvad timinn lidur"
                            Amayis is my wifey

Comment

Quoth Eisa View Post
                              Sorry you're running out of energy and still feel yucky. Are the meds starting to work now? I think mine are a little bit--like it's making my head hurt and my nose run and stuff, but that also wasn't really happening before, so I THINK it's a good sign!
                              Acid appears to be better for now, though it's flaring up again at the moment, probably 'cause I'm tired and stressed. I'm coughing less, but when I cough it's still pretty bad. And I have no energy. So... a couple of "somewhat betters" and a really big negative with the whole no-energy thing.

Comment

Working...
                              X