This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ASL gloss for a lullaby... Any help?

I'm tired of negativity. I'm tired of feeling crappy. I want to help my kiddos... and they love when I sign to them.

I spent 3 weeks researching to gloss a simple song (Singing In the Rain) for my autistic 4 y/o, because she still uses sign when she's frustrated, and she loved that we could "sing" it together.

This time, I want a special lullaby that she knows and loves.

I chose "All Through The Night", but trying to find an ASL dictionary online that has some of the synonyms for the more archaic words is almost impossible. (Really? Nothing for "vigil" or "watch"? Really??)

So, I come to you, Oh Most Knowledgeable of Internet Personae, to help provide me with simple words/signs to gloss this beautiful lullaby.

Here's the original:

All Through The Night

Sleep, my child, and peace attend thee

All through the night

Guardian angels, God will send thee

All through the night

Soft the drowsy hours are creeping

Hill and vale, in slumber steeping

I my loving vigil keeping

All through the night
    hea·then [hee-thuhn] noun
    1. an unconverted individual that does not acknowledge the God of the Bible.
    2. an irreligious, uncultured, or uncivilized person.
    3. the children of NotSoInnocent.

I would see if I could find an ASL church site or group that could possibly help you. A lot of those words are found in the bible, and so would be used in church. That's the best suggestion I can think of. Hope it helps, it's something beautiful you're doing for your kids

Comment

I found "watchfulness" and "watchman" here: http://www.aslpro.com/cgi-bin/aslpro/aslpro.cgi

Click on "Religious Signs" and then "W".

I think watchfullness would work, but between those two words it seems watch is pretty easy to figure out.

Comment

Quoth NotSoInnocent View Post
        I my loving vigil keeping
        I would probably do "watchfulness continuing" or "watchfulness maintaining" for "vigil keeping."

http://www.aslpro.com/cgi-bin/aslpro/aslpro.cgi

"watchfulness" is under the religious signs section, and "continuing" and "maintaining" are both under the main dictionary.

Okay, it's late, and I just noticed Lachrymose said basically the same thing. Oops. Well, here's me agreeing with her! (him?)

Comment

Him (is too short)

Comment

Working...
          X