This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phone help?

I thought I'd have better luck checking with the good people of this site, than attempting to contact the manufacturers of my phone.

First off: Said phone is a Nokia 6820, and yes, I did check the online manual and site FAQs and such. I haven't found my problem listed.

The phone chirps when the battery is low. This morning, it began to chirp. Then it gave three chirps in succession (something I've never known it to do) and the screen went blank.

I charged it, and when I unplugged it, nothing. Blank screen. Pressing the on/off button had no effect.

I was out and about, so I had no chance to try charging it some more.

Now, I'm at home, and I'm charging it. The only thing I can see on the display is the charging status on the right side. Nothing else - not the time, not the mobile carrier logo, nothing. Pressing the on/off button still has no effect, unless I unplug it from the charger. Do I just need some extra charging?

How long have you had the phone? If you believe it is still under some sort of warranty, take it to your mobile career and ask them about it.

Explain you have looked in your manual and the FAQ on the main mobile site and nothing has come up. See if they can tell you if the thing has become common, or if they can replace it for you.

It sounds to me that the phone itself is having issues, instead of the battery charge itself. Maybe take out the battery and put it back in. And if that doesn't work, most definitely do what I previously stated.

As we all know, the worst they can do is say "no, we can't replace it."
    I can only please one person a day, today isn't your day, and tomorrow doesn't look good either.

When someone asks you a stupid question, give them a stupid answer.

Comment

I took the battery out earlier. Nothing.

I bought the phone second-hand, so it's not under warranty.

Comment

I wonder if the battery has gone out.

^-.-^
        Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

I hope not. But I can't discount the possibility.

Comment

My only concern is, if you buy a new battery and it ends up being not the battery, but the entire phone...you'll have to get a new phone as well. And batteries themselves aren't cheap..and we all know neither are phones.

I still think talking to your carrier face to face would shed a good bit of light on the subject. If anything at all, you might be going at the right time and get an amazing price on a new phone!
            I can only please one person a day, today isn't your day, and tomorrow doesn't look good either.

Comment

i looked up Verizon phones, and i ended up using my husband's account to see prices *so it may not be exact if you aren't a customer* HOWEVER, verizon seems to have a really nice priced phone that isn't all extra special, but perfectly functional.

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/s...phoneTopRated=

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/s...phoneTopRated=

suppose it's a start if you want to get a new one...

Comment

Generally, new customers get better deals on phones, but theres that whole "2 year contract" thing.

If you dont use your phone for anything but calls, get a prepaid boost/metro PCS phone. You'll pay more for the phone (you can get one cheap on Craigslist, but its a toss up if it works unless youre careful) but its like 40/mo for service for unlimited everything (but not great service.)

Nokia 6820 is apparently a ATT phone (ugh, att). You could probably talk them into upgrading if youre under contract. If your not, I'd shop elsewhere. Personally, I've had good experience with sprint (with OK reception). Tmobile is a 50/50 with customer service, but the signal is pretty good.

for reference I pay something like 80/mo for a smartphone on sprint. I get a 20% discount so my bill is like.. 50$/60$ something.
                Last edited by Whiskey; 10-23-2010, 04:50 AM.
                Thou shalt not take the name of thy goddess Whiskey in vain.

Comment

I don't have a calling plan; I just use those prepaid cards, and get more credit when I run out. I can go very far on individual credit charges! (I hardly every call anyone, and I just send text messages.)

It's been charging all night, but the display reads the same; one big dud. Looks like I need a new used phone.

Comment

As much as I hate to say it, depending on how much you use the phone..might want to look into Straight Talk. Their phones can be cheap (they have a 29.99 phone, and that is without any contracts), and no credit checks or anything. It's pay as you go. 1000 minutes talk and texts for 30 (plus tax), and 45 a month for unlimited.

If you can afford a more expensive phone, and mostly text..Virgin Mobile. $25/month for 200 minutes talk, unlimited text/talk/web. Again no contracts..pay as you go. Lots of places are going to pay as you go..so it's worth looking into things. Some phones, even new ones are cheap. Cricket and Straight Talk have some uber cheap phones. Just not very..durable.
                    Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

Yeah, that might work - except I haven't lived in the States in some time; I'm living in Europe now. I've posted online that I'm looking to buy a phone, and a friend of mine runs a charity store that receives many donations from ambassador-type people, so she probably has a few phones floating around. Maybe I'll get a top-of-the-line model for a great price!

Comment

I figured it out.

All this time, I'd been pressing the hang-up button, rather than the on/off button!

It works. And it's fully charged.

Which means I don't have to buy a new one.

Comment

Working...
                        X