Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So, you want to comment on someone else's writing...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So, you want to comment on someone else's writing...

Here's two handy little tips on how to do it properly:

(FYI: Not directed at anyone on this board...this was inspired elsewhere.)

1: Don't be a cowardly little shithead. If you're going to tell someone you think they suck, at least have the fucking balls to leave your real name. (Or at least a traceable alias)

2: If you don't have anything nice to say, keep your fucking mouth shut. Go masturbate over Farmville instead if you feel the urge to let your fingers do the typing. Not all of us writers are looking for joygasms praising our work (not that we'd turn that down, but back OT...), but we'd really appreciate it if you didn't bitch to us about stupid pissant things that are YOUR responsibility to deal with, not ours.

In short, if you don't like what we wrote because OMG TWO WHOLE PAGES IS TOO MUUUUUUUUUUUUCH for your piddly little surviving braincell to handle, STFU go coat yourself in chicken guts and throw yourself into an alligator pit. At least then you'll serve some worthwhile purpose on this planet earth and will be providing constructive support for a creature far worthier than you.
    ~~ Every politician that opens their mouth on birth control only proves that we need more of it. ~~

Sounds like you ran into someone whose only purpose in writing critiques is make people feel bad. I'm sorry you had to deal with that.

I've been a member of a writing workshop (haven't signed up again yet but I probably will). They had very specific rules: You had to find something to praise as well as something that needed improvement. Not for the purpose of empty flattery, but because it was fair, and you can usually find something good about the piece. It was frequently pointed out that you learn more by doing critiques than you did by receiving them. Complaining that two pages is too much (!) pretty much guarantees that this critter is going to learn nothing. What a jerk.

Two pages sounds rather short, if anything. If someone's attention span can't handle two pages, what the heck are they doing critiquing anyone's work??
    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
      Sounds like you ran into someone whose only purpose in writing critiques is make people feel bad. I'm sorry you had to deal with that.
      Thanks. I was feeling fine till I discovered that little turdnugget in my inbox earlier tonight. (His, not yours.) It's like, WTF. Why do some people have to be so goddamn nasty for no reason? Oh Internet, this is truly your dark side: too many people who have too much free time and no lives whatsoever.

Two pages sounds rather short, if anything. If someone's attention span can't handle two pages, what the heck are they doing critiquing anyone's work??
      It's not even anything particularly noteworthy. That's partly why it's only 2 pages long. I'm not the greatest writer, but I'm not the worst either. But crap like this is one of the reasons I don't want to try writing professionally. I really don't feel like dealing with a bunch of nasty responses, and with the kinds of subject materials that I'm interested in, that'd be *guaranteed*.
      ~~ Every politician that opens their mouth on birth control only proves that we need more of it. ~~

Comment

was taught through various people and teachers that if you are going to "critique" or say anything about someone else's work do so through constructive criticism or do a compliment sandwich.
        Ie this is what i like about it, this is what you could maybe improve on yet i also like this or the other way constructive criticize, compliment and end on a good note. Do not insult at all even if it was horrible. Or as OP said at least have the balls to do so and put your name to it even if its a screen name.

Comment

I had some stuff on FictionPress about a million years ago and had my comments set to "do not accept anonomous comments" for this very reason.

I don't care if someone wants to say how much I suck, but by damn if you do you will at least have the balls to own your opinion.

Someone even said "You'd probably get more comments if you changed that setting." So? Five comments of substance from real people versus eight by trolls? This is up for debate??

I've been real lucky on my current blog, but I am sure my day is coming. I don't moderate posters on that, nor do I require a sign in. So far, it has not been a problem...knock on wood. There are a lot of really bitter, bored assholes out there and they will find me eventually. It's part of the terrain. Don't let it get you down.

One thing I noticed on the FictionPress site when looking at comments on other people's work: People who post anonomous flames about other people's work usually have NO WORK they have produced themselves posted. They are parasites.

Do not get worked up over the vague, directionless smells you detect on the internet. They are legion and they don't matter.

Comment

I post my work on my dA for that very reason; no-one can comment anon there. I have a Fictionpress account and a Fanfiction account but I only use those to comment. I find that, sadly, as well as the problems already given out, a lot of people who are upset about constructive criticism will search out your account to give a revenge bad review.

By the way, NOT saying that this is you. I'm just saying how I've found things on both sites. I've posted constructive criticism on people's stories and gotten nothing but abuse back. For example; one story (since deleted after the author had a mega meltdown in the comments) had promise of sorts, but the author's character was a terrible Mary Sue and she'd committed Qanonreip on several canon characters (it was a Harry Potter fanfic).

I posted a review stating such, tho I made sure I gave her credit for the original story; and she replied back in the comments with flames. I replied back with reasonableness and other commenters backed me up; she eventually had a complete and utter meltdown and ended up deleting her story.
            People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
            My DeviantArt.

Comment

I would say a huge majority of people really don't want you to be honest. They want a pat on the back. Some people honestly want to improve their craft. Most don't, they think they are Faulkner and want you to recognize their genius. And if you don't, they don't want to hear about it.

Comment

That's exactly it. To that tho, I'd say that they shouldn't put it on a public site if that's the case. Honestly, there are loads of horrible, gruesome, sick making Sue stories on fanfiction.net where the Suethor has a dozen sock puppets fawning over the story. But the moment someone posts any constructive criticism, then the dummy is thrown out the pram.
                My DeviantArt.

Comment

Oy...I haven't done any writing out of fear of the savaging I'd get. My primary fandom is a series of books where:

1. Strict true canon is seen as rather sexist and outdated (the original books are nearly 40 years old now)

2. Near-canon fanon gets savaged as being too stupid to know canon, even when the only changes from absolute original canon are extensions the author originally denied then later said were possible. One of which even made it into her son's latest official addition to the series...(Hi Tazith!)

3. Really Out There stuff tends to be....a bit less well written.

I tend to be a fan of near-strict, which with the latest book technically is canon now. Still...I'm a bad enough writer, I'd be shredded by every camp for both content and execution. No thanks.
                  "English is the result of Norman men-at-arms attempting to pick up Saxon barmaids and is no more legitimate than any of the other results."
                  - H. Beam Piper

Comment

My brother is well-studied on keeping canon and Mary-Sue characters, so he is co-writing (super glorified proofreader, plus he has a couple characters). Then, after it's all done, will I post it on DeviantART. I'm easily depressed, so I'm scared to share any of my stories though, because it's originally mine, but is apparently ripping off a bunch of others that I've never read or heard of.
                    Oh wook at teh widdle babeh dwaggin! How cyuuute babeh dwag-AAAAAAAUUUGGGHHHH! *nom*
                    http://jennovazombie.deviantart.com

Comment

Quoth Fire_on_High View Post
                      Oy...I haven't done any writing out of fear of the savaging I'd get. My primary fandom is a series of books where:

1. Strict true canon is seen as rather sexist and outdated (the original books are nearly 40 years old now)

2. Near-canon fanon gets savaged as being too stupid to know canon, even when the only changes from absolute original canon are extensions the author originally denied then later said were possible. One of which even made it into her son's latest official addition to the series...(Hi Tazith!)

3. Really Out There stuff tends to be....a bit less well written.

I tend to be a fan of near-strict, which with the latest book technically is canon now. Still...I'm a bad enough writer, I'd be shredded by every camp for both content and execution. No thanks.
                      I like the pern books too
                      Final Fantasy XIV - Acorna Starfall - Ragnarok (EU Legacy)

Comment

Quoth Lace Neil Singer View Post
                        That's exactly it. To that tho, I'd say that they shouldn't put it on a public site if that's the case.
                        I really do honestly think that when they say "be honest", they mean it.

They just don't entertain the idea that someone might have a suggestion to improve their stuff.

Comment

Quoth Bardmaiden View Post
                          I like the pern books too
                          *G* Good catch!
                          "English is the result of Norman men-at-arms attempting to pick up Saxon barmaids and is no more legitimate than any of the other results."
                          - H. Beam Piper

Comment

Quoth RecoveringKinkoid View Post
                            I really do honestly think that when they say "be honest", they mean it.

They just don't entertain the idea that someone might have a suggestion to improve their stuff.
                            Yeah; if all they want is drooling praise in their reviews, then maybe they should add the disclaimer: "I don't want constructive criticism; all I want is praise!"

The funniest thing is when you point out that someone's character is an awful Mary Sue, and they reply with something like, "She's not a Mary Sue! She's clumsy/craves chocolate constantly/likes to argue!" Those aren't faults, so sorry, but your character is a Sue. The best/worst "fault" I ever saw listed for a Mary Sue was "She was so beautiful, all the girls were jealous of her."
                            My DeviantArt.

Comment

Quoth Fire_on_High View Post
                              *G* Good catch!
                              I hang out on a pern BB and have met Todd several times, he's fun.
                              Final Fantasy XIV - Acorna Starfall - Ragnarok (EU Legacy)

Comment

Working...
                              X