Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So, you want to comment on someone else's writing...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As a personal rule, I will only ever leave a comment on either a story or a piece of artwork if I can find at least one good thing to say about it, or one good thing and a bit of constructive criticism. And even with the latter, I always make sure the author or artist knows it's just my opinion and to not take it too personally. If I can't do any of those things I aid above, then I leave no comment.

Some little fucktard on FF.net actually demanded that I write a promised sequel to one of my stories because they didn't like how the first story ended. They then went on to say they intend to be a pain in my ass until I post the coveted sequel because they feel making demands is the only way to get what they want. And I've had my fair share of haters on DA too - people who seem to think their opinions are facts and thus more important than those of the artist.

Another delightful experience was when I stood up for another artist and the complaining party said they'd blow my brains out in very bad textspeak English. Boy, that was special. I think people who say, "Give me your honest opinion" really mean, "Tell me how wonderful my work is."

Comment

The OP forgot something else interesting...

3. If you're going to call someone "stupid" or rip their grammar/spelling to shreds, then you'd better not have *anything* wrong in your comments. Otherwise, you look like a dumbass...and you can better believe that *I'll* rip such comments to shreds
      Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Quoth Bardmaiden View Post
        I hang out on a pern BB and have met Todd several times, he's fun.
        NKT? I think I remember a poster who said that when I was reading a few weeks ago.

His vision of Pern is certainly different, but I have to admit I can NEVER put his books down...can't wait to see what happens next!
        "English is the result of Norman men-at-arms attempting to pick up Saxon barmaids and is no more legitimate than any of the other results."
        - H. Beam Piper

Comment

When I say honest feedback, I mean it. Nothing is more infuriating than, "That was good. I liked it." I give constructive criticism, and I want it too. Unless you're my mom, I won't let you get away with, "That was good."
          https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

*nods* I've tried unsuccessfully to get comments (and by that, it includes criticism) for my story R.E.A.L. (posted on this board)..gotten comments, but no criticism yet. Hehe. Constructive criticism helps people grow and improve. Abusive criticism helps nobody.
            Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

Exactly; if someone wants constructive criticism, saying "Your story sucks!" is just as bad as mindless praise.
              People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
              My DeviantArt.

Comment

Quoth protege View Post
                The OP forgot something else interesting...

3. If you're going to call someone "stupid" or rip their grammar/spelling to shreds, then you'd better not have *anything* wrong in your comments. Otherwise, you look like a dumbass...and you can better believe that *I'll* rip such comments to shreds
                Oh yeah, you're right, I did forget that one.

I had another little wanker once who broke this rule when he wrote a few years ago to complain about a fanfic I'd done involving two male characters romantically with each other (Said characters are not canonically known to be gay, and are both temperamental enough that even a mild friendship between them would be reeeeeaaaally stretching it, but you better believe the fanservice has a ball - no pun intended - playing them as such!):

(Verbatim) "ewww their gay? i'm outta here!" was this stellar graduate's prose.

To which I promptly fired off a proofread and spellchecked reply basically telling him to go suck a cactus if he didn't like reading my nasty dirty gay fanfic. Because you know I just sat in waiting this whole time with a gun pointed at him to force him to read a story about Teh Ghei sexin's.
                ~~ Every politician that opens their mouth on birth control only proves that we need more of it. ~~

Comment

As far as non canon pairings go, it can be done; it just takes a bit of extra writing skill in behalf of the author. For example, I once read an excellent Hermione/Draco fanfic; sadly, I lost the link. -.- However, I have read many terrible ones that make both characters act out of character and are not at all convincing.

Another thing that bugs me are badly written lemons. If you must add a sex scene to your story, it would help a great deal if you've actually had sex at least once in your life... and that if you're writing about a slash pairing, that you've done a good bit of research. One slashfic I read had the pair doing it in the desert... oh god, the SAND! O_o
                  My DeviantArt.

Comment

Quoth Lace Neil Singer View Post
                    As far as non canon pairings go, it can be done; it just takes a bit of extra writing skill in behalf of the author.
                    I specialize in non-canon myself.

Another thing that bugs me are badly written lemons. If you must add a sex scene to your story, it would help a great deal if you've actually had sex at least once in your life...
                    Not necessarily. Granted, you've got a point about experience. But I'd also point out that I've read a few scenes by folks who've never so much as had an actual kiss, let alone the full deed, and those fics were Damn Hot. Never underestimate the power of a good imagination coupled with informed book-knowledge.

and that if you're writing about a slash pairing, that you've done a good bit of research. One slashfic I read had the pair doing it in the desert... oh god, the SAND! O_o
                    D: If I've learned anything as a writer, it's that research is your FRIEND.
                    ~~ Every politician that opens their mouth on birth control only proves that we need more of it. ~~

Comment

But believe me, a lot of the badly written lemons I have personally read have obviously been by total virgins; by that, I mean people who have not only never had sex before in their lives, but have never read anything about it either.

Also... sand. o_O

If you want to read said badfic, I could always find it and PM it to you. XD
                      My DeviantArt.

Comment

To go with the sand, water is not exactly your friend, either.

Doing the deed in a pool (especially one with a lot of chlorine), is not generally a great experience, physically.

Totally unrelated, but I got hives form the chlorine in the steam from that heated pool... >_<

^-.-^
                        Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

And I would expect that sea water would have a pretty bad effect, too. O_o

The absolute worst lemon I ever read, and also one of the worst fics ever, was Celebrian. I still think that the author was a serial killer in training, or an extremely clever troll.
                          My DeviantArt.

Comment

But believe me, a lot of the badly written lemons I have personally read have obviously been by total virgins; by that, I mean people who have not only never had sex before in their lives, but have never read anything about it either.
                            I don't doubt it; I've read my share of those fics myself. Unfortunately fanfic is like searching for buried treasure in a sewage plant: there are true diamonds out there, but first you gotta sift through a LOT of crap to find 'em!

Also... sand. o_O
                            Left that bad of an impression on ya, eh?

(Also agreeing with the person who brought up sex in water. Generally not a good idea due to all the lovely lil' bacteria floating around in it, especially hot tubs - major sources of nasties.)

If you want to read said badfic, I could always find it and PM it to you. XD
                            XD Nah, that's okay, if I want to make myself sick I'll just turn on the election coverage.

Comment

oh god, the SAND! O_o
                              *whimper*

Quoth Amethyst Hunter View Post
                              Never underestimate the power of a good imagination coupled with informed book-knowledge.
                              I works pretty well in real life, too.
                              The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

Quoth zombiequeen View Post
                                I'm easily depressed, so I'm scared to share any of my stories though, because it's originally mine, but is apparently ripping off a bunch of others that I've never read or heard of.
                                I forget who said it...and I am a bit too lazy to dig though google to find out, but someone once said "There are no original stories, only new ways of telling old stories." It's very true... I'm just now starting to work on a story I have been wanting to write for years but have been too afraid to because it is SO similar to a popular series.
                                "I'm not smiling because I'm happy. I'm smiling because every time I blink your head explodes!"
                                -Red

Comment

Working...
                                X