Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Calling all cosplayers and sewing people!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another option is embroidery. If you do, though, use machine embroidery - that's far, far too much for hand work!
    Seshat's self-help guide:
    1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
    2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
    3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
    4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
      Another option is embroidery. If you do, though, use machine embroidery - that's far, far too much for hand work!
      Hm, depends. I find that sort of stuff relaxing. But it'd look neater via machine.

Comment

Make sure you get a fabric that can hold up all that machine embroidery (which sounds like an awesome way to go, imo)-- I've seen lightweight fabric+ heavy stitching. It =='s awkward.
        :3 and send pics.
        "Is it the lie that keeps you sane? Is this the lie that keeps you sane?What is it?Can it be?Ought it to exist?"
        "...and may it be that I cleave to the ugly truth, rather than the beautiful lie..."

Comment

Not sure I have any useful advice, but I would love to see a picture when it is finished. That will be a real work of art, I'm sure

Comment

Can you give me the URL of this spoonflower place? I wonder if they do metallics? I've got ideas for some Skyscraper cosplays and something like this might help.
            A word to the wise- metallic fabric paint has been known to clog the screens used in screen printing. I still think stencilling and metallic fabric paint might be your best bet, perhaps with embroidery or couched thread stitching around the borders to accent the design.
            Last edited by Amanita; 11-16-2010, 07:54 AM.

Comment

My first thought once I looked at the pic was either embroidery or applique.
              Don't wanna; not gonna.

Comment

Step one, I'd say, would be to find a dress that looks similar. I notice the holes in the oversleeve (I doubt that is what its called, but its there), as well as more of the detail work on the undersleeve.

Is it possible to find more pics of this dress, to get a better view than sitting, or is it one of those one-shot fanpic images?
                Something kind of sad about the way that things have come to be.
                Desensitized to everything, what became of subtlety?

Comment

Quoth terakhan View Post
                  Step one, I'd say, would be to find a dress that looks similar. I notice the holes in the oversleeve (I doubt that is what its called, but its there), as well as more of the detail work on the undersleeve.

Is it possible to find more pics of this dress, to get a better view than sitting, or is it one of those one-shot fanpic images?
                  I'm not really concerned about finding a dress that looks similar, as I've made dresses with that sleeve style for renfaires before and already know how to do the structure.

The dress shot is not a fanpic, but it only appears once - it is one of the color pictures separating chapters in the comic. I have the comic so I have a larger version myself, but no other angles exist. I can pretty much make up whatever I want for the back.

Comment

My first thought was applique, as well, but now you've got me interested in this Spoonflower place. I do a fair amount of custom work; I'll have to go check it out . . .

Comment

Just spent twenty minutes on Spoonflower. Spent (well, fantasy-spent) over three thousand dollars . . .

What can I say? "Hi, I'm Morgana, and I'm a fabriholic . . ."

Turned an artist friend on to it, too, and she's already got three pieces she's going to put up . . .

Comment

Quoth morgana View Post
                        Just spent twenty minutes on Spoonflower. Spent (well, fantasy-spent) over three thousand dollars . . .

What can I say? "Hi, I'm Morgana, and I'm a fabriholic . . ."

Turned an artist friend on to it, too, and she's already got three pieces she's going to put up . . .
                        It's awesome that it exists, right?

It's expensive, but I totally get why, haha. I'm going to order a sample swatch book and check out their fabric types, even if I don't use that for this project.

Comment

What's the URL for spoonflower? I have to check this out!

Comment

Oh my gosh....

Why am I thinking about printing out my own quilt label fabric?

*drools over fabric*
                            https://purplefish-quilting.square.site/

Comment

Working...
                            X