Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'd really like some cheese with my Whine...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'd really like some cheese with my Whine...

I stopped taking my Prozac back in September. I couldn't afford the prescription that month, and I'd gotten tired of the side effects. I know that you're not supposed to just stop taking them, but what to you do?

I've actually done really well off of it, until about 2 weeks ago. Now I'm so sick of myself I don't know what to do. I really don't want to go back on it, but I've got to figure out a way out of this cycle I've gotten into.

I'm crying at the drop of a hat. Sappy commercial on tv? Check. Song on the radio? Check.

I'm pissed constantly, even when I'm crying. And the worst thing is that I take it out on my poor hubby. Every time I talk to him, I'm listing in my head every petty little irritating thing that he does. And it just adds up to one giant issue that I have a really hard time not going off on him about.

I've got a shitty attitude at work. I answered the phone one day last week and my client asked me what's wrong, you sound really pissed off. Luckily I'm pretty good friends with this particular client, so I was able to laugh it off with her, but that is not acceptable.

So, anyone have any suggestions on how to get the hell over myself?
    TANSTAAFL

I'm not going to give advice about meds but maybe you do better on them, in spite of the side effects. I would talk to whoever prescribed them in the first place if you can.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
    Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

Can you try something milder that might have less side effects? I don't know how many you originally tested. Prozac had too severe of side effects for me too.

A lot of medications have a half life of sorts in your body and it can take from days to a month easily to get out of your system - this is how you feel when all of the Prozac is out, and that's not good. =(

Not going to give any advice on specific meds since I'm not a doctor, but the side effects will vary a lot from one med to another for you, so if you didn't test many things before going onto the Prozac, perhaps now is the time to do that. =) Go talk to your doctor.

Comment

What about counseling? I'm looking for a counselor myself right now, so I'm not saying this based on experience, just that it's an alternative to meds (which I really don't want to go on, myself).
        When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth bookworm View Post
          I'm crying at the drop of a hat. Sappy commercial on tv? Check. Song on the radio? Check.
          This part happened to me when I was coming off my meds, but I wasn't pissed all the time. I would definitely talk to your doctor about going back on some meds, but different ones, hopefully ones that you won't suffer the same side effects from.
          The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

If you don't like the side effects, talk to your doctor about changing prescriptions. There are a zillion SSRIs out there, and many of them are generic. I think even a few are on the Walmart $4 list.

A few years ago I went to get birth control and my insurance wouldn't cover it. I printed out the local grocery store's $4 list of drugs and asked my nurse practitioner to prescribe something that was on the list. It took her a few minutes because she wasn't familiar with some of them, but she found something that was nearly identical to my old (pricey) version. Maybe you could do something similar to start.

Therapy is also a good thing, but I imagine that really isn't in your budget either.

Comment

Quoth trailerparkmedic View Post
              If you don't like the side effects, talk to your doctor about changing prescriptions. There are a zillion SSRIs out there, and many of them are generic. I think even a few are on the Walmart $4 list.

A few years ago I went to get birth control and my insurance wouldn't cover it. I printed out the local grocery store's $4 list of drugs and asked my nurse practitioner to prescribe something that was on the list. It took her a few minutes because she wasn't familiar with some of them, but she found something that was nearly identical to my old (pricey) version. Maybe you could do something similar to start.

Therapy is also a good thing, but I imagine that really isn't in your budget either.
              ^^Listen to her. Shes smart. ^^

Comment

I strongly agree with talking to your doctor about a different drug.

It may take a few different drugs, but you'll find the right one!!
                SC: “Yeah, Bob’s Company. I'm Bob. It's my company.” - GK
                SuperHotelWorker made my Avi!!

Comment

Working...
                X