This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guh buh wha SERIOUSLY?!

So, a friend of mine's wife does NaNoWriMo. She was also recently signed on to Harlequin. My friend read a few excerpts from my NaNo Novel last night and said I should submit it to Harlequin for consideration, and that he believed I could be published. What should I do?!

Submit it to Harlequin for consideration! (Obvious answer is obvious.)

Comment

Ya got nothing to lose by doing it, and everything to gain by doing it. So do it obviously.
      Military Spouse Support.
      http://www.customerssuck.com/board/group.php?groupid=45
      Plaidman's Minions: Telecom_Goddess: Dungeon Minion

Comment

Unless you have a problem with Harlequin, do it.
        Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
        Save the Ales!
        Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

No problem with Harlequin, just not really sure that my writing is good enough to be published. I don't particularly want to see a rejection letter, if you get what I mean.

Comment

Do you know any editors? I would recommend having someone look at your work, get feedback, revise, rinse, repeat, until you're completely confident in the finished product. Then send it to Harlequin.
            "Even arms dealers need groceries." ~ Ziva David, NCIS

Tony: "Everyone's counting on you, just do what you do best."
            Abby: "Dance?" ~ NCIS

Comment

If you are afraid of rejection letters, then writing is not for you. But then again, what is a rejection letter really saying? "Sorry, you are not in the top 1% of authors." At least you are not filmed and held out for public ridicule like an America Idol try out.

Go for it.
              Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
              Save the Ales!
              Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

It's just a rejection letter. One person's opinion doesn't dicate the world's view.

Everyone fears rejection, but it does not stop them from asking people out, trying to get a job, trying to make friends. Do they get rejected? Oh hell yeah. But doesn't stop them from trying.

Put this way: They could say yes and your book is published. THey could say we like it but can you work a little more on this.

If you don't do it, you'll go through lfie wondering if maybe it was good enough to be published.

We don't regret the things we've never done, we regret the things we've never tried before we die.

Just try it.
                Military Spouse Support.
                http://www.customerssuck.com/board/group.php?groupid=45
                Plaidman's Minions: Telecom_Goddess: Dungeon Minion

Comment

Do eet!

Seriously, if you don't take the opportunity, you'll spend the rest of your life wondering what you might have missed.

^-.-^
                  Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

To be frank: you will never make it as a writer if you are that thin-skinned.

I have a box of rejection letters. I even print out e-mail rejections and keep them. All they can say is 'no'. My son Khan takes 'no' as a challenge; as frustrating as that can be for me it's not entirely a bad philosophy to have.

Edit it thoroughly, revise it three times, and send it. If they say 'no', send it elsewhere. And again, and again, and again.

Do or do not. There is no 'try'.
                    https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

here's another angle:

J.K. Rowling had her first Harry Potter book rejected 12 times before getting picked up.

If you believe in your writing, then push for it. You can't really lose, since like everyone else has said, all they can say is no. But you have so much you can gain!

Comment

Quoth SengaKitty View Post
                        No problem with Harlequin, just not really sure that my writing is good enough to be published.
                        Only one way to find out!
                        I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                        I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                        It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Submit it.

I'm friends with a number of authors. Rejection letters are always difficult and EVERY writer gets rejection letters unless they're a big enough name... and it takes time to get to that point.

So... I say, go for it. If nothing else, you'll have your first rejection letter. Frame it, because it's proof that you tried... and it'll give you a reason to try to replace it with a framed acceptance instead!
                          "Good morning, and in case I don't see ya, good afternoon, good evening, and good night!" - The Truman Show

Comment

How are you going to get published if you don't send it?
                            I have a...thing. Wanna see it?

Comment

Wait. Before you submit it, get their submission guidelines. Every publisher has them.

You don't want to be rejected for something as simple as single-spaced typing when they want double-spaced (or whatever, just an example).

Check their website for how to obtain this, get it, follow it. Good luck! Let us know what happens!
                              When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Working...
                              X