This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hospitals Suck

(Not really, please nurses on the boards don't kill meh!)

So I ended up in the hospital this week, unexpectedly. I've had these weird chest pains for years now, they always just hit me at weird times. They'd be quite a sudden sharp pain, but go away after a few minutes. Or make me pass out. Either/or. XD

Well a couple of days ago I was just browsing through some coupons when the worst chest pain I've ever had hit me....almost blacked out on the spot. If it hadn't been for my children running past chasing the cat *right then*....I probably would have. As it was, ended up curled up on the couch just trying to breathe, it hurt so bad. I tried waiting it out, but after about 30 minutes, figured it wasn't going to get better. As I went to go call my husband up, I noticed that my left arm had pretty much gone numb and stopped working.

Yeaaaah...at that point I started to freak. I ran around the house a bit, flopping my arm about to try and get some feeling, about 15 minutes later I could move it, but not my fingers. Finally, I called up hubby, who rushed home and got me to the hospital about 20 minutes later.

After having to fill out a buttload of paperwork, (which was weird, I mean, I was sitting there clutching my chest and about to fall over, and they still made me sit and fill out a ton of stuff. I could barely even answer their questions) finally got into the ER.

Turns out I have been having massive anxiety attacks for years. Who knew? :P But yeah, now I have to go to a doc next week and get meds and stuffins so I don't get an early Game Over with no continues. :<

So I guess I will also ask, anyone else suffer from these and have any advice on dealing with them?

Also, advice on dealing with a husband who has been treating me like I'm made out of glass ever since. I've had them for years, nothing's changed, dagnabit!
    By popular request....I am now officially the Enemy of Normalcy.

"What is unobtainium? To Seraph, it's a normal client. :P" -- Observant Friend

Awww, *hugs*

Not too much advice as I haven't really been able to get my own anxiety attacks under control. As far as the hubby tell him that you're touched that he's concerned but that him being so weird about it now is actually more likely to stress you out (if it hasn't yet it very well may as it gets more and more annoying), and that the best way he can support you is by trying to treat you normally.

Comment

Quoth Seraph View Post

After having to fill out a buttload of paperwork, (which was weird, I mean, I was sitting there clutching my chest and about to fall over, and they still made me sit and fill out a ton of stuff. I could barely even answer their questions) finally got into the ER.
      Now that's completely wrong! When my dad was having chest pains, he got straight into the ER. Chest Pains = get in ASAP, paperwork can wait until you are stable.

Comment

Eh, let the hubby spoil you. Let him fix dinner, wrangle the kidlings, and massage your tootsies. Give him specific jobs to "help" you so that he doesn't feel helpless and you don't want to strangle him.

As for the anxiety, don't be surprised if it takes a few tries to get the right combo of medications. I don't have it myself (well, who doesn't have anxiety? But mine's not interfering with my life), but from what I've observed from people who do, the right medicine might not be the first one they try. Hang in there.
        I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

Quoth Sandman View Post
          Now that's completely wrong! When my dad was having chest pains, he got straight into the ER. Chest Pains = get in ASAP, paperwork can wait until you are stable.
          LOL I actually at one point put my head down on the table and the woman asked "Are you alright? You're very pale..." I just kinda wanted to shake her and be like "I AM NOT ALRIGHT I AM IN THE E.R."

And I will take y'all's advice with hubby. I know poor guy's worried about me, and I love him dearly for that. But it just about drove me NUTS last night when he was all "I refuse to do anything tonight unless it makes you perfectly happy". I was like O_o what the...

Comment

Hubbies get worried with you're not doing well and can over-react so the best thing to do is give them specific jobs to focus on so they don't end up smothering you with their concern.

^-.-^
            Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

And this is why my husband now will grab me (gently though) and make eye contact and tell me to stop it when I'm having a panic attack. I would get way too uncomfortable with him just kind of...being too careful.
              I still get spoiled, just not all the time now.
              Oh wook at teh widdle babeh dwaggin! How cyuuute babeh dwag-AAAAAAAUUUGGGHHHH! *nom*
              http://jennovazombie.deviantart.com

Comment

My sympathies. I just had a panic attack a couple nights ago and am very, very weirded out right now. It's not my first one, but it was the first in a public place (made me miss half of a show I was really looking forward to!). Now I'm going to have to have a complete physical work-up, I assume, so I can rule out certain things, and get myself to a therapist soonest, because I cannot do this shit.

How do you pick a therapist, though? Eeen-meeny-miney-moe doesn't seem like a good way to pick a doctor.

Hope you feel better soon!
                When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Yeah I don't know if I'll need a therapist....hubby and I talked things over and really, I just need to open up a bit more. Last night during my running I had a bad attack, and he had me sit down and talk about what I'd been thinking over before I had it.

A lot of it boils down to the fact I need to stop freaking out over our house, and just accept that it will be okay in time. And that I should probably set days off from work. As it is, I work almost 7 days a week, add in the kids and its a ridiculous amount of stress. So, I've agreed to talk to him about stuff more, and will do my best to.

Comment

Quoth Seraph View Post
                    (Not really, please nurses on the boards don't kill meh!)

Well a couple of days ago I was just browsing through some coupons when the worst chest pain I've ever had hit me....almost blacked out on the spot. If it hadn't been for my children running past chasing the cat *right then*....I probably would have. As it was, ended up curled up on the couch just trying to breathe, it hurt so bad. I tried waiting it out, but after about 30 minutes, figured it wasn't going to get better. As I went to go call my husband up, I noticed that my left arm had pretty much gone numb and stopped working.
                    That sounds a LOT like a heart attack,you should get to a cardiologist ASAP!
                    "If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous he will not bite you.This is the principal difference between a man and a dog"

Mark Twain

Comment

Quoth Frantic Freddie View Post
                      That sounds a LOT like a heart attack,you should get to a cardiologist ASAP!
                      They did run an EKG on me that showed I was fine, buuuut I am scheduling an appointment with a cardiologist as soon as the Thanksgiving holidays are over. I have too many things to do in life to bite it early. I mean, the new WoW expansion, the Hobbit movie...so many things.

Comment

I know anxiety attacks can mimic a heart attack sometimes but they shouldn't hurt like that or cause your arm to go numb....and frankly ER docs screw up and can't find anything wrong or the right thing wrong a lot of the time...I've seen it happen. Follow up with that cardiologist for sure.
                        https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
                        Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

Quoth Seraph View Post
                          They did run an EKG on me that showed I was fine, buuuut I am scheduling an appointment with a cardiologist as soon as the Thanksgiving holidays are over. I have too many things to do in life to bite it early. I mean, the new WoW expansion, the Hobbit movie...so many things.
                          EKG won't necessarily show a heart attack. There are subtle patterns that can indicate one (inverted T-wave is one), but they can be hard to pick out. Fair warning, cardiologists order stress tests on pretty much everyone who walks in the door. It really is a great test to get a lot of information on what the heart's doing. PM me if you want specific details.
                          I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

I ended up in the ER with chest pains a year or two ago for the same thing - I was willing to ignore it, but my family's more sensible heads prevailed. The fact that we were in the car and my cousin simply turned around and headed for the ER after a particularly vicious attack helped.

I carried meds with me, and was able to start seeing a neuropsych. I saw him for several months and my attacks went from three-four a month to one major one in the past six months. And that was with starting nursing school and all the added stress. I still have problems sometimes with my triggers (agoraphobia), but thanks to working with him, I am able to either head it off or redirect the anxiety. Might be something that would be able to help for you.

Comment

Quoth jedimaster91 View Post
                              EKG won't necessarily show a heart attack. There are subtle patterns that can indicate one (inverted T-wave is one), but they can be hard to pick out. Fair warning, cardiologists order stress tests on pretty much everyone who walks in the door. It really is a great test to get a lot of information on what the heart's doing. PM me if you want specific details.
                              Thanks for reminding me I need to get another stress test done.

I second (or third, or whatever) the motion to follow up with the cardiologist. Don't chance it.
                              "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

Working...
                              X