This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black Friday: My thoughts

You know, there's so many freakin' gadgets marked down that, quite honestly, I'm about burned out on them. Looking at all these Black Friday ads I don't hardly feel excited about it all.

$198 laptops
    $200 HDTV's
    $50 Digital Cameras
    Free Droids

I've got so many gadgets now that seeing so many in all these ads is just starting to turn me off. I have a good laptop that just needs a new hard drive. My TV's work just fine. I'm content with my cellphone that's got a built-in FM transmitter to transmit music to. I wouldn't mind a 14MP camera for so cheap but I can do without it. I just bought my computer last summer and would like to get a new video card, but that's it. I've got too many video game consoles that I rarely even use.

I'm burned out on it all!

Anyone else getting this kind of feeling????

It's not so much that I'm burned out, but rather that I never cared in the first place. I haven't even looked at any ads, and probably won't.
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

I do need a new digital camera but I can't see myself getting up at oh-dark-thirty to stand in line to get one.
      Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

is making due with what we has, and if its so great, then why wait until now to mark it down, why not have a sale earlier this year or issue coupons or something.
        I associate black friday with storms. Unless there is a medical emergency I refuse to leave the house for anything.

Comment

I actually considered (I know...kill me) going to Target for a TV on Black Friday... Not worth it really. And cyber monday sales are just as good.

Comment

Every since I found out that those real cheap laptop computers were special cut rate models provided just for those sales, I have lost all interest in getting one of them. When I buy a laptop computer, I'll get a standard model that hasn't been cheapened to sell for a low price. I suspect the same of all other low sale priced electronics.
            "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
              Every since I found out that those real cheap laptop computers were special cut rate models provided just for those sales, I have lost all interest in getting one of them. When I buy a laptop computer, I'll get a standard model that hasn't been cheapened to sell for a low price. I suspect the same of all other low sale priced electronics.
              It's true. I saw those cheap giant TVs march out the door on Black Friday last year, then come back in the door and go to the service desk as defectives a couple of weeks later.

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
                It's not so much that I'm burned out, but rather that I never cared in the first place. I haven't even looked at any ads, and probably won't.
                ^What she said.

I don't go out on Black Friday. I'm going to the mall tomorrow during the day and I will hopefully not be back until well after Christmas.
                I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Good luck. Malls are busy enough now. Although, I think maybe everyone will be at the grocery store instead...

Comment

I have to go to the grocery store tomorrow. But I had to turn in a draft of a paper today, so I really didn't have time before now to actually plan Thanksgiving dinner. But now I have a plan and a list. Whee!
                    "Even arms dealers need groceries." ~ Ziva David, NCIS

Tony: "Everyone's counting on you, just do what you do best."
                    Abby: "Dance?" ~ NCIS

Comment

I saw a new low today while checking out Thanksgiving cards.

One had a cartoon of a mother reading a fairytale book to her kids. But instead of the typical Grimm stuff, this one went, "And after the big turkey dinner, everyone went shopping at all the stores to catch the big sales..." (Paraphrasing there to the best of my memory) The inside of the card read, "Hey, gotta teach the children about holiday traditions early!"

Whoever thought that card up is made of massive fail.

Also, Kohl's is going to be open at Three. Farkin. A.M. on Black Hell - I mean, Black Friday. Any of you who work there and are stuck with this suckshift, my sincere condolences. That's bloody friggin' insane.
                      ~~ Every politician that opens their mouth on birth control only proves that we need more of it. ~~

Comment

You're all going to kill me for saying this, but I'm looking forward to Black Friday.

The computer I use for... damn near everything has had it. The video card struggles with even loading web pages half the time, and that's during the periods where it's not flipping me off by not even bothering to turn on to begin with. Even checking through every single possible troubleshooting guide for everything that could be wrong with this hasn't helped. It's just that old.

Best Buy has a tower for $219 that I'm going to go get that morning. Knowing the average crowd member that's going to take advantage of a day like Black Friday, though, the chances of a Sightings thread are already going to be high before I even leave the house...
                        My other car is a Mackinaw.

Comment

Well I would say I avoid Black Friday like I would The Hive in Resident Evil, but ... I have been volunteered to go help my dad. So .. send good thoughts my way. Gonna need them.
                          Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

Quoth Amethyst Hunter View Post
                            I saw a new low today while checking out Thanksgiving cards.

One had a cartoon of a mother reading a fairytale book to her kids. But instead of the typical Grimm stuff, this one went, "And after the big turkey dinner, everyone went shopping at all the stores to catch the big sales..." (Paraphrasing there to the best of my memory) The inside of the card read, "Hey, gotta teach the children about holiday traditions early!"

Whoever thought that card up is made of massive fail.
                            They wouldn't have thought of that if so many other people hadn't made catching Black Friday sales a "holiday tradition."

The card is sad, but there's some truth behind it.
                            Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

I've seen Black Friday ads for many stores around here and honestly I'm not impressed at all.

Best Buy Wii for $170 (includes two games). They're selling the same setup for $200 now. Wow, I can wait in line for hours to save $30?? I'll pass.

Watch those HDTV ads, many are lower quality (720p and 60Hz where they'll normally show a 1080p / 120hz TV), Cheap laptops - check the specs. Many will cut back on processors, memory, and hard drive yet you might not know.

Black Friday deals haven't really been "deals" for several years - it's just their way to get people to flock to their stores to get rid of their lower end stock to make room for high profit items over the next month.
                              Quote Dalesys:
                              ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

Working...
                              X