This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do You Believe in Fate?

As the title says, do you believe in fate? If so, do you believe it's possible to tempt fate?

With my new job that will be in Afghanistan coming up sooner and sooner each day, I get more and more nervous. I was thinking about it yesterday and today and I decided on two things. The first was that I need a will. That doesn't bother me. I could die at any point on any day even while home so it always applies. The other was that I wanted to write a couple "In Case of Death" letters. I just got one done a little bit ago but I'll probably edit it as time goes on. I was talking to some people on another forum and one person said it's tempting fate.

What do you guys think? If you believe in fate, is writing "In Case of Death" letters tempting fate?
    "I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone, that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - House

I don't tend to believe in fate.

ETA: Afghanistan is a scary prospect...I don't blame you for wanting to put things down on paper for the people who are important to you.
    Last edited by BookstoreEscapee; 11-24-2010, 12:41 AM.
    I don't go in for ancient wisdom
    I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
    It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

I don't believe in fate. The only thing I do believe about it is that it's an excuse not to take responsibility for one's actions.

Comment

In this instance, I dont think fate would apply.

Putting your affairs into order is smart. I would do it.

Although, I must have missed something. What are you going to be doing in Afghanistan??! If it makes you feel any better, I have a friend whos been over there for 2 years in a civilian position, teaching some ( i dont know which) afghan forces emergency medical care. He makes great money and seems to be quite happy there (as well as well protected).

Comment

I'll be doing contractor work on an Army base doing research on IEDs.
          "I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone, that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - House

Comment

I believe things happen for a reason...is that fate? I guess kinda, depending on how you define it. I don't use it as an excuse or anything, and I do think people have free will, but I also believe everything you do has a reason and an affect on you or others, no matter how big or small it may be. The butterfly effect, or whatever.

Anyway, I agree with Amina that it's smart to get things in order. I don't think it's tempting fate, I think it's being rational, reasonable, and responsible. As you said, any of us could kick the bucket any day for any reason, so having a will/death letters is something most people should have no matter what their situation, they just don't because they don't want to think about it.

Comment

WAIT WHAT!?

Your going to Afganistain Green!
              Omg keep safe! I will miss you bud!
              I wasnt put on this earth to make you feel like a man ~ Mary Bertone

Comment

Afghanistan does not scare me. The research on IEDs is another story. How long will you be there?

Putting your affairs together is a great idea, Afghanistan or no. Odds are, the most dangerous part of your trip will be driving to the airport.

If I believed in fate, would it be hypocritical of me to wish you "Good luck" and to "Have a safe trip?"

Good luck and have a safe trip!
                Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
                Save the Ales!
                Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

5 months there, 1 month home. 5 months there, 1 month home. Then I can keep going if I want.

Comment

No. Fate sucks too much to be belived in. Fate decides if your life sucks or not? no thank you.

Writing in case letters? Just being smart. You may be killed, you may live. You may see your friends killed, you may not. It's just smart to be prepared.
                    Military Spouse Support.
                    http://www.customerssuck.com/board/group.php?groupid=45
                    Plaidman's Minions: Telecom_Goddess: Dungeon Minion

Comment

Personally, I don't. I don't like the idea of something that directly affects me, being out of reach of any control by me.
                      This may be a misguided approach, but tis my approach.

No fate, but what we make.

Either way, keep safe my good man.
                      "On a scale of 1 to banana, whats your favourite colour of the alphabet?"
                      Regards, Lord Baron Darth von Vaderham, esq. Middle brother to mharbourgirl & Squeaksmyalias

Comment

Don't know if I believe in fate or not but I would think going without doing that is be what would be "tempting fate".
                        "Man, having a conversation with you is like walking through a salvador dali painting." - Mac Hall

Comment

I agree with MaggieTheCat, I think a lot of things happen for a reason, but I don't label them as "fate" or whatever you may want to call it.

Do keep yourself safe. We will all have to send you a care package
                          You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Personally, I believe less in those letters than fate.

Unless you are putting some dark secret in writing that you don't want known until afterwards, I think it would be better to just tell the people what you want to tell them in person.

The caveat to that would be young children. A letter written for them to read, whenever they might do so, could help them cope easier, in the worst case, as a reminder.

Getting other affairs in order, however, is just good sense.
                            Something kind of sad about the way that things have come to be.
                            Desensitized to everything, what became of subtlety?

Comment

I think fate can guide us but in the end we make our own decisions.

As for going away, be safe.
                              Quote Dalesys:
                              ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

Working...
                              X