This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Haircut advice

I've been getting a little bored with my hair lately which sucks because I'm not ready to cut it yet. At it's longest point, it's nearly mid thigh. I'm determined to see how long I can get it before I flat out can't stand it any longer. I've been throwing the idea of bangs for a while but I don't want thick regular bangs, just the sort of fringe on the side. I can't decide how it would look though, so I need some opinions....

Here's me:

Here's my sister with similar bangs to what I'm considering. If I got them, I'd part them down the middle though instead of sweeping them across....

And two pictures I found online that are similar to the bangs I'm thinking of....

Any thoughts?
    "Man, having a conversation with you is like walking through a salvador dali painting." - Mac Hall

When I had really long hair (hip-length) I had just straight-across bangs (they weren't real thick, though). I cut it when I was 19 but kept the bangs; I had bangs pretty much all my life and finally grew them out about 8 years ago. Right now my hair is just above my shoulders and layered a bit at the back and sides. Not bangs, exactly, but shorter around my face.

I think it would be cute if they're cut right. Your hair looks a lot like mine, just straight, but if you cut short pieces they might curl up a bit since they won't have the weight of all that length. With my layers now it goes a little curly but when it was long it did not. When I had bangs I had to dry them every day or they would curl up and look weird with the rest of my hair being all straight.
    I don't go in for ancient wisdom
    I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
    It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

First off, you and your sister are adorable. I like the parted bangs in the last pic. It looks like she has all-over layers, and the bangs are actually part of the shortest layer, not a separate entity. I have a cut like that, which works amazingly well for my curly hair, but I'm not sure it would work for you (layers I mean). Maybe you could hav long bangs cut and graduate the sides. The overall shape would be more of a V in the back, or a U-shape, rather than blunt. I think it would add interest while keeping your length. (Definitely keep it! My goal is very long, too).
      "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

I think they'd look nice, but just think about what you do day to day. Do you need to frequently pull your hair out of your face (bending over to move things, etc, if your job requires it?) because bangs won't fit back into a pony tail and then you'll either have to deal with them in your eyes or clip them back constantly while working.

If your hair is just feeling flat and dead because of the length, maybe you could layer it slightly, get some more volume into it.

I really love the color of your hair - really pretty! =)

Comment

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
          I think it would be cute if they're cut right. Your hair looks a lot like mine, just straight, but if you cut short pieces they might curl up a bit since they won't have the weight of all that length. With my layers now it goes a little curly but when it was long it did not. When I had bangs I had to dry them every day or they would curl up and look weird with the rest of my hair being all straight.
          My hair is at most only ever a bit wavy. I had straight across bangs when I was younger but combined with big glasses so I didn't like them much. I suspect it was more the combination than the bangs themselves though. Also, even when I had my hair short or when I had bangs, my hair didn't really curl. For some reason, it curls more now that it's long than it did when it was short

Quoth Food Lady View Post
          First off, you and your sister are adorable. I like the parted bangs in the last pic. It looks like she has all-over layers, and the bangs are actually part of the shortest layer, not a separate entity. I have a cut like that, which works amazingly well for my curly hair, but I'm not sure it would work for you (layers I mean). Maybe you could hav long bangs cut and graduate the sides. The overall shape would be more of a V in the back, or a U-shape, rather than blunt. I think it would add interest while keeping your length. (Definitely keep it! My goal is very long, too).
          Thanks The back of my hair is already a bit of a v or u shape because in 8 years, I've only had it cut twice, once to be layered and the bottom layer was not cut at all (my request) and recently I had all the ends trimmed a little but that was an inch at most cut off so it kept the general shape. I had meant to have her raise the layers a bit (not by much) but it had been a long stressy day and I completely blanked till I was on the way home.

Quoth Taboo View Post
          I think they'd look nice, but just think about what you do day to day. Do you need to frequently pull your hair out of your face (bending over to move things, etc, if your job requires it?) because bangs won't fit back into a pony tail and then you'll either have to deal with them in your eyes or clip them back constantly while working.

If your hair is just feeling flat and dead because of the length, maybe you could layer it slightly, get some more volume into it.

I really love the color of your hair - really pretty! =)

I put my hair up, but mostly because if I don't, I'll have a bunch of it sweeping the floor when I bend over or caught in whatever piece of hardware I am taking apart. I really only put it up because of the length and when I had shorter hair, having it down didn't bug me.

It's mostly just that I'm bored because of not doing anything new with my hair in a while. It currently is layered but I think at this point with my hair being basically mid thigh, the top layer is maybe to my waist so there is definitely room to layer it more.

Thanks, it's the result of a bunch of different hair dye colors over the years.
          "Man, having a conversation with you is like walking through a salvador dali painting." - Mac Hall

Comment

Quoth Shangri-laschild View Post
            Also, even when I had my hair short or when I had bangs, my hair didn't really curl. For some reason, it curls more now that it's long than it did when it was short
            That's interesting...my hair didn't really curl at all until I got older. (Though there are pics from when I was about 2 where my hair was a bit curly, too. Then again it was also kinda red and I lost most of that too. ) It was only the bangs that would go wavy, which drove me nuts.

Comment

I think bangs would look really cute on you. Have them cut by someone who really listens and asks you what you want. When I first got mine, she started them out thin and wispy and increased them gradually so I could stop her when I liked what I saw.
              When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                I think bangs would look really cute on you. Have them cut by someone who really listens and asks you what you want. When I first got mine, she started them out thin and wispy and increased them gradually so I could stop her when I liked what I saw.
                Also, have them cut dry so you can see what they actually look like as you go. If you do them wet they will shrink when dried. I used to actually cut my own bangs cuz I didn't trust the person cutting my hair to not cut too short.

Comment

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
                  Also, have them cut dry so you can see what they actually look like as you go. If you do them wet they will shrink when dried. I used to actually cut my own bangs cuz I didn't trust the person cutting my hair to not cut too short.
                  Yep, that's a good point. I sometimes trim my own, but when I get the rest trimmed every few months I have them even out the bangs, too.
                  When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

You're lucky you can grow your hair so long! The longest I've ever had mine is to the top of my butt. I can't keep it long like that, though, because it's so heavy. It really starts giving me headaches once it's about half way down my back.
                    Don't wanna; not gonna.

Comment

I have the heavy-hair thing too, hence my shortest layer is 3 inches, the longest a foot. There are ways to cut it so it blends. So, Shangri-la, what did you decide?
                      "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Quoth Food Lady
                        I have the heavy-hair thing too, hence my shortest layer is 3 inches, the longest a foot. There are ways to cut it so it blends. So, Shangri-la, what did you decide?
                        Well I ended up cutting it myself with some help from a friend of mine. I've cut his hair before and my roomate's but never bangs or girl's hair. It's choppier than I meant it to be but not anything horrible or unfixable. I'm still getting the hang of transitioning two different lengths of hair together when cutting. It's still long enough to work well enough up in clips if it's being weird. My hair is being a little weird about how it lays because it's not used to not being weighted down. I'm going to give it a little time to see how it adapts and then adjust from there. It just hangs straight down instead of curving towards my ear which I know it'll start to do given some time. I'm guessing it'll either end up slightly shorter or a little evened out when I adjust it, but for now, I'm happy. In the mean time it doesn't look bad and even clipped back, frames my face better than it was when my hair is pulled back. I'll try to post pictures of the results when I get a chance.

Quoth 42_42_42
                        You're lucky you can grow your hair so long! The longest I've ever had mine is to the top of my butt. I can't keep it long like that, though, because it's so heavy. It really starts giving me headaches once it's about half way down my back.
                        Yeah, I think sometimes the weight bugs my head a little but not too bad. I am thinking about getting the layers expanded a little when I possibly go in to get my bangs a little evened up.
                        Last edited by Shangri-laschild; 12-08-2010, 04:09 PM.

Comment

First, will anybody throw things at me if I say that the hairstyle in the pictures were awesome? The 'before' ones, not the ones on the blonds. No? Ok whew.

Of course my idea of hair cutting is getting my hair in a buzz cut..so..take any advice with a grain pound of salt.
                          Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

Working...
                          X