Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are your favorite thanksgiving foods?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are your favorite thanksgiving foods?

My most favorite thanksgiving foods are deviled eggs and black olives. I also like a good ham. I would like to know what everybody else enjoys on turkey day.
    A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Smoked turkey instead of the regular kind. And the stuffing! With lots of mushrooms....mmmmm.
    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
      And the stuffing! With lots of mushrooms....mmmmm.
      This for me too. I'm not much of a turkey fan, but I lovelovelove stuffing. Sadly, I didn't get to eat any last night. We went to a family friend's house for dinner and they make their stuffing with onions. Thus, I couldn't eat it. D:

I'm also quite partial to mashed potatoes and sweet potatoes (minus the marshmallows, please).
      "Things that fail to kill me make me level up." ~ NateWantsToBattle, Training Hard (Counting Stars parody)

Comment

I've got a turkey fryer but didn't use it this year,too damned cold outside.I was gonna make blue corn,green chile & piñon stuffing but Mom made her oyster stuffing (it was good too).The wife used water & cornstarch to thicken the gravy instead of flour & it turned out real nice.
        "If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous he will not bite you.This is the principal difference between a man and a dog"

Mark Twain

Comment

I'm a traditionalist: roast turkey, mashed potatoes with butter and peas (or corn, but last night it was peas), all generously bathed in gravy. And cranberry sauce (the jelly kind from a can) but I eat it seperate from the rest of my food. And crescent rolls, though my aunt doesn't do those; she just had regular store-bought dinner rolls (too many people to do that many crescents, anyway).

And really good apple pie, which I did not get this year (had pear-cranberry and cherry), but I might take a ride to the orchard that does good pie and pick one up; haven't had one of theirs in forever.
          I don't go in for ancient wisdom
          I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
          It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

We had raspberry pie this time, for a change from pumpkin. Also a chocolate pudding pie, because chocolate is always perfect!
            When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Turkey, even though it smells like poo cold.

Can-shaped cranberry sauce.

Pumpkin pie. It's not just for breakfast any more!

I got a weakness for the classics.
              Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

I like all the classics too (in my family, the classics were turkey, mashed potatoes and gravy, dressing, candied sweet potatoes, corn, rolls, and pumpkin pie) but my single favorite is probably the candied sweet potatoes. Thank god they're easy to make because they are so good. They're different than any other kind of sweet potatoes I've ever seen...first you peel, slice, and boil the potatoes till they just start to get tender (but would still be crunchy if you were to eat them as is.) Then you make a caramel sauce in a big fry pan out of butter, brown sugar, and light corn syrup. Drain the potato slices and toss them into the sauce, and let the sauce reduce down and finish cooking the potatoes for about 15 minutes. It might be my favorite side dish ever.

Comment

I like my dressing . . . mmmmmmmmmmm, cranberry sauce (Irv, don't hog it all) and of course, the desserts.

Right now, I hear a chocolate cream pie calling from the kitchen . . .which would taste awfully good right now with a cup of coffee.
                  Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Mom's chicken and dressing and my aunt's chicken and dumplings.

Deep fried turkey

Green beans and boiled potatoes

Crescent rolls

Pecan pie!

I was able to pull off most of this. The dressing was far too watery, but that's because I haven't quite nailed down cornbread yet, and that's a vital component. I'm going to make the dumplings later. And, of course, my apartment isn't a suitable place to deep fry a turkey.

I even made the crust for the pie from scratch.
                    "Even arms dealers need groceries." ~ Ziva David, NCIS

Tony: "Everyone's counting on you, just do what you do best."
                    Abby: "Dance?" ~ NCIS

Comment

Gimme a good gravy & pour it all over my plate
                      "If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous he will not bite you.This is the principal difference between a man and a dog"

Mark Twain

Comment

My cranberry sauce brings all the boys to the yard. Who wouldn't, with it's sweetness of orange zest, and deepness added by a dash of cinnamon? Also, pumpkin pie, made from scratch. Not too sweet, nor fake tasting like the ones in the store. A relative on SO's side of the family also makes one bitchin' lemon tart. The only way to beat it is to eat the lemon itself.

Hopefully what will be next to put into this category are my Experimental Herb Cookies. The legal kind. Rosemary, lavender, chamomile and whatnot. And maybe a candied ginger and coconut cookie. But that's all up in the air until I get off my duff and do it!
                        My only regret is that I don't have a better word for "F@#k You".

Comment

*Snoopy-dance* We (my parents and I)'re doing our own belated Thanksgiving meal tonight. Which means stuffing and, hopefully, mashed taters. Which means I'm verreh happy right now.

On top of all that, there's still a pumpkin pie, some pumpkin cheesecake, and apple pie to be devoured. *more Snoopy-dancing*
                          Last edited by firecat88; 11-27-2010, 08:54 PM.
                          "Things that fail to kill me make me level up." ~ NateWantsToBattle, Training Hard (Counting Stars parody)

Comment

Three words: stuffing, stuffing, and stuffing. I LOVE stuffing. It is easily my favorite part of the holiday meal. Homemade, boxed, premade, traditional, cornbread, sourdough, oyster, I don't care. I LOVE stuffing. My personal record is six helpings of the stuff in one sitting. At which point my stepbrother, who in the family is nicknamed "Hoover" for his eating habits, looked at me and asked, "What the hell is WRONG with you?" But it's not Thanksgiving to me until I've had my stuffing!

This year, at work, we were offering a traditional T-Day dinner. I had one for lunch, but with no turkey and with extra stuffing, and extra gravy to boot. And it was awesome. And as I was eating it, and football was starting, I turned to the manager and said, "Ya know what? I have stuffing. I have football. The only thing that would truly make it Thanksgiving for me would be a beer." Of course I was joking. The manager looked at me and said, "Well then, have a beer." He was not joking. So I washed the meal down with a nice cold lager, and before I had my first customer, my Thanksgiving was off to a great start.

Later that night, I had a similar meal at my friend's place (no turkey, extra stuffing), and was thrilled. And then yesterday for lunch, I had some leftover stuffing, gravy, and green beans at work for lunch. It was tasty!

Beyond stuffing (and really, is there anything beyond stuffing?), I enjoy most of the traditional dishes (other than turkey, of course). I like ham when it is an option, I love mashed potatoes and gravy, sweet potatoes, green beans, yams, cranberry sauce, etc.

And while canned cranberry sauce is okay, I love homemade so much more. Myself, I make a MEAN cranberry sauce that once prompted a friend to say to me, "Ya know, I never liked cranberry sauce, but you've changed my mind on the subject." That was pretty cool.

As long as I can avoid turkey, and not have to eat any pumpkin pie or pecan pie, I am good.

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
                            And really good apple pie, which I did not get this year (had pear-cranberry and cherry)
                            Quoth MoonCat View Post
                            We had raspberry pie this time, for a change from pumpkin. Also a chocolate pudding pie, because chocolate is always perfect!
                            Those all sound very intriguing. You are making my mouth water here.....

Quoth Amusement Gal View Post
                            My cranberry sauce brings all the boys to the yard....deepness added by a dash of cinnamon?
                            That sounds interesting, and like something I may have to try with my cranberry sauce.

Quoth Amusement Gal View Post
                            A relative on SO's side of the family also makes one bitchin' lemon tart. The only way to beat it is to eat the lemon itself.
                            I would hope that the tart is actually better than eating straight lemon, as from experience I can tell you straight lemon is not all that sweet.

I should explain...shortly after I gave up caffeine all those years ago, when I worked day shifts at the restaurant I worked at, I had to find a way to wake up in the morning....so fairly often, when I would first come into work, I would take a big wedge of lemon and just BITE right into it.

If that doesn't wake you up, nothing will! (And yes, my coworkers thought I was nuts. Then again, nothing new there....)

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                            Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                              That sounds interesting, and like something I may have to try with my cranberry sauce.

I would hope that the tart is actually better than eating straight lemon, as from experience I can tell you straight lemon is not all that sweet.

If that doesn't wake you up, nothing will! (And yes, my coworkers thought I was nuts. Then again, nothing new there....)
                              Yeah, the cinnamon adds a bit of extra sweetness to it and it's just sort of on the tip of your tongue. Next time I might a little bit more than just a dash, and maybe a tiny bit of nutmeg. Depends how adventurous I am.

And perhaps you're right about the lemon. To be fair, the tart was apparently mostly lemon juice, and it had the perfect tartness. Don't know how that woman does it, but I plan to get it out of her somehow!
                              My only regret is that I don't have a better word for "F@#k You".

Comment

Working...
                              X